• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most Frustrating Gym Leader?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That is another big flaw when you play in-game. Instead of teaching strategy, it teaches that if you just level up your Pokes high enough, you can still win even if you have poorly constructed movesets and teams.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Mar 25, 2012
    Well, the two most frustrating of them all are Norman and Tate and Liza (pathetic eh?).

Norman:

My Breloom owned the show with Mach Punch up to Slaking, where Slaking kicked Breloom's behind. It also wasted all my other Pokemon up until Gardevoir, where a powerful combination of Confusion and Psychic finally did it.

Tate & Liza:

Now...these girls were only hard because I was only expecting Solrock and Lunatone. I was planning to own them with Gardevoir's Thunderbolt and Sceptile's combination of Leaf Blade and Giga Drain. But when I entered the battle, I was shocked to find that I had a hard time defeating them.

Yeah...:P

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Tate is not a girl. He is Liza's brother.

BTW - If you had Calm Mind instead of two Psychic moves, you could have boosted your Psychic move during Slaking's Truant turn and then OHKO'd it. Two moves of the same type on the same Poke only limits that Poke's effectiveness.

Lucian

Were-God [Sealed]
    Years
    The first time around, Tate andLiza, becauseididnt totaly understand the double pokemon fights yet.

dylandutra

Cap'n Jazz
    Years
    I've always had trouble with the Normal leaders.
    GSC girl with Miltank
    Norman
    Screw the Normal gyms, I hate them.

Funny, I had a lot of trouble with Norman, and whited out a few times. Yet, I downed Winona in OHKOs right after.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Norman, the fact how fast you can go fight him right after the 4th gym with not any pokemon around to train on... =p

Shift

Stolen from Wifiddle at Smogon
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2008
    Hm, Shift doesn't have Emerald, and Shift hasn't played his Ruby in ages. But Shift does recall going up against Watson with his Treecko. Shift didn't have the advantage against Steel and lost. Shift ended up doing a new game with his starter being Mudkip.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Shift ended up doing a new game with his starter being Mudkip.

Shift did a very wise thing there.

Or Shift could have just picked up an Aron, and trained it up to have Mudslap. Whatever works for Shift.

Now let's shift away from referring to oneself in third person.

TheRedDeerHunter:

Normal leaders have always been difficult for me too... Norman was one of the hardest gym leaders in R/S/E, because of his damn Slaking, who is an utter BEAST. That thing can take a beating even from physical attackers, despite moving only every two turns. I was always curious why it never became more popular.

elric331

Kurosaki Ichigo
    Years
    hrmmmm...... Brawly was such a pain.. i hated his bloody makuhita and especially when it used bulk up.
    tate and liza isn't rlly hard except for Xatu if u chose mudkip as a starter.

HackinJohn

FireRed ROM Hacker
    Years
    Winona was a piece of cake until I met her Altaria. I was wondering why thunderbolt wasn't silencing it (I didn't know it was dragon.)
    It took out my Pikachu and Gardevoir before I realized it was dragon. Then I sent out Swampert and he beat it with Ice Beam.

Tate and Liza are a pain as well. Both of their Pokémon have extremely high HP and great move sets.

Roxanne is also annoying. Her Geodude's are simple, but her darn high-HP Nosepass bugs me...

Norman is usually a problem because of his Slaking's HP and strength, as well as Flannery. Her Torkoal annoys the poop out of me.

Glacia is bad as well. By the time I get to her, my Fire and Electric Types are pretty much dead so she hoses them down pretty easily.

And the final Wally bugs me a LOT. His Gardevoir used Double Team all 20x and I couldn't hit it!

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
    Years
    My hardest experience with a gym leader had to be in Emerald, when I fought Winona with all her super-powered, high 50s pokemon, all against my Lv9X Breloom (all I had at the time). I was just lucky I had way too many Full Restores at the time.

Soogz

Soogalicious
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2007
    Gotta be Roxanne in my opinion... Its just because her pkmn were at such a high level at the begging of the game, that you kind of had to be up there with her to compete.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2017
    Tate and Liza. Though, using Imprison on her with a Gardevoir is always fun. I made her Xatu use struggle from that.

Norman is kind of a pain because you get basically no training after Flannery.

Juan's Kindra is annoying though too. Double team/Rest/Hyper potions makes me mad.

Back