• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Frustrating Gym?

Years
  • What gym, for you, was the most difficult to get past in any generation?
    I imagine everyone has that one gym that turned out to be hair-pullingly difficult for one reason or another...

For me it was Whitney in crystal version. It could have been that i was just a little kid at the time, but I think it actually took me like two days of playing, stopping for a break, and playing again in a cycle to beat her. (Of course, it never occurred to me to level up my pokemon before trying again, either.)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    omg Lt. Surge's Gym with the trash can switch thing is so annoying

Also didn't like Elesa's gym the first time I play Black/White because I knew it was gonna be an Electric gym but it was filled with thoes fucking Emolgas

Years
  • Oh man, Lt. Surge's gym... totally forgot about that!
    Also, my geodude completely blew threw Elesa's gym in Black 2... i don't know what it was like in B/W though. I never got the opportunity to play them.. :(

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Cheren's Gym in White 2. -.- I only had Snivy and Purrloin at around his Pokemons' levels and we kept losing. It didn't occur to me to catch a search for a fighting type Pokemon either... I just assumed there were none and later heard about Riolu in Floesscy Ranch? I was ticked off that I couldnmt even beat the first Gym Leader, let alone one in the startinv town!

Lt. Surge's Gym puzzle can be a pain in the butt but when you've done it enough times you realize you can either keep trying or save the game after finding one just in case. X3 Elesa'a Gym in BW was only annoying because I only had the Ground type move Dig on my Herdier, and the rollercoasters took too long tk get you back once you needed to heal up. Maylene's Gym Puzzle was pretty annoying too....

Years
  • Well the most frustrating gym leaders off the top of my head are Norman, Watson, and Liza and Tate. Now this is all based off of the old RSE games because I haven't even got to them in ORAS yet. I hate all three of them with a passion because they were the only three that would destroy me in this egglocke challenge that I was trying to do in my free time. It was awful getting to Liza and Tate and losing because come on they were the 7th gym leader so I'd always rage quit for a few days and come back only to lose again at one of those three gym leaders. I eventually beat the challenge but yeah they're my top three choices.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm on the same boat as above; for me, the most difficult gym was definitely Whitney's.

Although her obstacle is rather straightforward (it's a maze-like path; all we had to do to reach her is walk towards a direction), but facing off against her was a major challenge. She had Milktank on her team, as most of us know, which was able to withstand a good amount of hits without much trouble at all, making it an issue to get its health down. When we do have it at a low portion, Milktank would always wind up recovering itself by using Milk Drink. It was frustrating. Not only that, but the Pokémon also knew Rollout. This move might not be very powerful at beginning, but as it's used more and more, the more damaging it becomes.

Aside from her, I also found it to be slightly difficult to go up against Claire; Pokémon she had on her team, which were all dragon, seemed to have been quite bulky, and this had contributed into making her seem as such. Due to similar reasons, facing off against Volkner was also sort of a challenge.

Years
  • As I said in the initial post, totally get that thing with Whitney. Miltank was a pain in the butt to say the least, though I wonder if it would have been so bad if she had to be faced later in the game?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Battling wise, Whitney certainly back when I was a newbie with Pokemon, haha. Clair was hard back then as well for me (double teaming kingdra? @_@).

Puzzle wise, Morty's wasn't hard as much as timely, while Lt. Surge's was certainly obnoxious because it had a reliance on luck (would you choose the right bin to check for a switch when you finally found one?) rather than skill or say navigating a maze.

Snowpoint's gym puzzle did take me some time, but I wasn't overly frustrated by it, really. I like ice puzzles.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Difficulty terms would be Whitney in GSC hands down. Puzzle terms it would probably be L.T Surge's Gym, those electric switches were just a nightmare.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I would say Bugsy in Pokémon Silver Version. Fury Cutter is a vicious invention devised by evil inc. for those that picked Chikorita as our starter. It remains the only Gym that has caused me to lose four times consecutively. I have yet to run across another that gives me as much trouble.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Since I'm a Piplup girl, Gardenia in Platinum is my actual nemesis. I can't stand her gym and even though the layout is actually really adorable, I can't bear to even look at it anymore. I can't tell you how many times I lost to that stupid woman. It's just early enough in the game that I don't really have any Pokemon yet that can slaughter her. T-T It's terrible.

As for layout..Maylene's gym is a real pain. Right when I think I've found the right path there's a damn hole in the floor or something. xD I also majorly hate Wallace's floor mess. Drives me crazy. I have to look at a walk-through every single time.

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
  • I think the only gym I have ever found incredibly frustrating would be Lt. Surge's gym. It's entirely luck based, so no matter how many times you've played the game, you're forced to shift through each can looking for the mythical electric switch.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The most puzzling be I think Pyrce's Gym due to sliding to find the right spot this reflect to Snowpoint Gym which slides crushing snowballs, Valkner gym also many clockwork tweaks to reach the right spot and Gen4 Second gym on Plat the clockwork system is time tilting horror and Wallance/Juan just reflect the above statement but more tendentious than ever. Vermillion gym; single mistake would trigger a reset and which is which on second trigger

Followup; Mort's gym in Gen2/4 would be nightmare where you MUST battle to pass and Saffron's gym teleportation would do more than bending your mind at the confusion.

Annoying on my list are;
    Clair: Dragonair with thunder wave makes you bit tighter spots
    Whitney: Use watch out for attract if your poke is male and not same or none gender and certainly milktank is a killer
    Elesa: Volt switch, nuff said
    Anything involve status moves, explosion/self-destruct or toxic that be on the list too

Years
  • I think with battling, I can name check off Clair, that Kingdra in HGSS is just brutal and very difficult to take given it has only one weakness that you're not likely to have on you at all.

Back