• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most influential anime on you?

Lavabyle

Merry Christmas!
    Years
    This is a thread to discuss which animes stayed in your mind long after you watched it, and really left you with an amazing impression. For me it was evangelion, which (if you've seen it) is really deep, physocologically and all. It was the first serious anime i watched only after FMA, and it was what really pulled me in to the genre. Great character development and a breathtaking storyline left a vivid impression in my mind. What about you guys?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Practically all of my favorite anime series have influenced me in one way or another... but if I had to choose one that really stood out, then it would be Full Moon wo Sagashite. (I'm really hooked on the manga, too!)

I love how the storyline combines a lot of different genres that I like, such as drama, romance, comedy, etc. It's a shoujo series that has a lot of cute things in it, but it also doesn't overflow with them, so you don't get tired of it. There are a lot of serious and sad moments in the storyline, so it's very balanced. It's a good series to watch when you feel like crying, that's for sure. ;_;

As for the characters--they're probably my favorite part! Their personalities are really diverse. I love the main character, Mitsuki, because I feel like I can relate to her in a lot of ways... she's very innocent, but still strong-willed, and she sticks to what she believes in. I also like how complicated some of the romantic relationships between them get later on in the series--while some of them are really bittersweet, they still make it much more interesting. I just wish that some of them did work out.

Anyway, that's just my opinion! ^_^; I'm in love with this series~

Years
    I'd say Gatchaman for the first, particularly the G-Force dub of things as they weren't as censored and thus could tell a more mature (and accurate) story. The death and the consequences of both the primary and the character-of-the-day ones were always haunting as you wondered and could empathize why they did what they did. Sadly, it would lead to death, but that's how this kind of life went to. A pity they never continued the story as we would have entered Berg Katze (Galactor to the dub fans)'s backstory and how they would have handled it.

Funny thing is, the prior dub, "Battle of the Planets" which loved by most, I couldn't watch. It was that painful to me as the seriousness was all but removed. Therefore, why should I care?

The second place would be Sailor Moon S as it first showed me empathy to a fictional character as I couldn't help but feel for the plights of the Tomoes. The writers did a laudable job at making Professor Tomoe a person from his manga two-dimensional caricture and while Hotaru's friendship with Rini was a bit rushed (they met after 2/3th of the arc was done, and then revved up the relationship's pacing to the arc's ending), I couldn't help but be moved as well. Even bit players like Kaolinite, Eudial, and Mimet got their chance to emote. But, I shouldn't ignore the ending of dub R as I was starting to dig Sapphire before his tragic end. It served as a lovely emotional prelude to my epiphanies in S.

It would serve me well with my writing and my empathy for characters (not matter what they are) and I'm quite grateful.

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
    Evangelion really left an impact on me.~
    It had everyting,a good anime needs -- great storyline,interesting characters,good music [hey,classical rocks x3] and everything in between~
    After the series,especially after "Take Care of Yourself",I couldn't help but try to answer some of my unanswered questions..[and I still am]

Eva was a masterpiece and it influenced me to do alot of things..^^

*Shinigami*

死神
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2007
    Of course I have many favourites but in terms of which anime had the biggest impact... Probably...

Konjiki no gash bell!

I just love everything about it! The storyline! The plot!

and yes the japanese version not the dub, the dub just makes me gag. (-_-)

That was probably the time I stopped watching dubs completely and just went for the authentic experience every time. (^.^)

And just incase anybody else is a fan my favourite episode of which I could never forget was with Koruru!

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Hmmm.... Two automatically come to mind.

Fruits Basket and Pokemon. xD

Fruits Basket made me have a more positive view on life, amoung other things, and Pokemon ...well... it keeps sane... xD It just means alot to me...

Years
    Evangelion and Fullmetal Alchemist. ...But mostly EVA.
    Seeing basically everyone with extreme mental breakdowns, as well as the parts near the end when they were discussing life and death.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Nya....I think Full Metal Alchemist. No special reason, but Ed and Al go through so much, and the plot just makes you think about stuff[/dramatic]

Maybe Panyo Panyo digi Charat too. That show makes me feel so happy ^^

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Oh yeah, Fullmetal Alchemst is another one that I failed to mention in my last post...

Reason? Pretty much what Chikara said about it. That, and its just an awesome series. I love the characters. x3

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    For me it was Fma because it made you think there is lot of betrayal, heartbreak and all that Stuff.

Another would be S-cry-ed, because it teaches that you shouldnt take **** from people also only you can make your own path and all that nonsense.

Gamma

Waffles!!1!
    Years
    Cowboy Bebop for sure, it just was a very great anime and one of the first anime I saw besides DBZ or Pokemon. The action was good, and I like the story too, Spike's story is cool and the ending was just...I don't know but the whole thing was good.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Cowboy Bebop, it's simply a deep, involving anime, the same goes for the Big-O, which had me thinking for a long time, especially the final episodes of Bebop, and episode 13 of the Big-O

Lavabyle

Merry Christmas!
    Years
    ^ Yeah I'm planning on getting the box set of Cowboy Bebop, I've heard its pretty involving and has some pretty good sound value too. As for all the evangelion fans, i'm glad you all feel the same way as me =) Its really the best the first time, before you've read all the reviews that are like "too much reused footage" Personally i didn't notice i was so into it >.<

Chuchino

♪ ♥ ♫
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2012
    ^ Yeah I'm planning on getting the box set of Cowboy Bebop, I've heard its pretty involving and has some pretty good sound value too. As for all the evangelion fans, i'm glad you all feel the same way as me =) Its really the best the first time, before you've read all the reviews that are like "too much reused footage" Personally i didn't notice i was so into it >.<

I've never seen Cowboy Bepop personally, but I might as well have! My brother says it's the single best anime out there and it's because of it his standards are so high. It's very deep, thoughtful, and has the catchiest music x3 And Ein is <3

Personally I'd have to say there are a few that are important to me.

Number one on my list is FullMetal Alchemist. I've never seen the series (only one or two episodes), but I've read a great deal of the manga, and it's amazing. Everything in it is so well planned and detailed that it blows my mind with it's amazingness. Plenty of scenes in the manga made me cry, and goodness knows I'd be a mess watching it played out in front of me. It's just.. the hardships and the sacrifice the Elric brothers go through together are heartbreaking at times, the characters are so gripping, and it inspires because of all that. I'd say it's definitely one of the best anime/manga series I've ever read/watched.

There's also Ouran High School Host Club. When I first heard about it, the first thing that came to mind was 'look at all the pretty boys o.o', but looking deeper into it and watching a few episodes, I was completely hooked! The characters balance eachother perfectly, and they bring all the aspects into the anime that's needed to make it interesting. And it's so lively that even when I feel depressed, watching it makes me smile! But there's also a great balance of drama in there when it's needed, mostly from the Hitachiins and Tamaki. It's %100 awesome and just a perfect blend of comedy, happiness, romance, and with hints of angst and drama. It. Is. SUCH. A. Good. Anime.

DNAngel also made an impact on me. I read a page of the manga almost two years ago, and since then I've been a massive fan. My favorite aspect of the whole anime is the relationship between Dark and Risa, which is widely disliked, but I thinks it's really heartbreaking. The whole 'I love you/I can't love you' dynamic, coupled with the character development on either sides of the spectrum makes it just.. Gosh, I just love it. As well as that, the sort of love/hate between Satoshi and Daisuke made me cry the first time it was focused on in an episode. While I think a few things could've been improved in the anime plot-wise, it's amazing, and so very pretty. The manga is even more beautiful than the anime, and even more touching. I adore it SO much <333

(I know this list is getting long, but..) Naruto also ispires me on a creative level. It's just.. the action and adventure and drama all blended into one are wickedly cool, and even though I've only read a bit of the manga it's AMAZING. The fight sequences are SO. DARN. COOL.

And finally, Sailor Moon. It was what introduced me to anime in the first place, and got me drawing anime as well. I watched it first when I was six years old, and since then I've LOVED anime. Not to mention the story is really pretty and so are the characters! It's great fun ^.^

Evangelion is something I'd really really really love to see. It's fantastic from what I've seen, and I love Kaworu and Shinji.

And that's what I have to say :3

fallen_natsumixx

K a i o r a
    Years
    Naruto. I've watched quite a few animes before it but I am hooked with Naruto! I love the characters and the storyline and everything. A lot of stuff that has happened in Naruto made me cry. ;____;

Hayate

Freelance Hero.
    Years
    Kimi ga Nozumo Eien. Even though it looks like a normal Drama/Romance like any other this one got me, including my stone heart xD. Sometimes it was very sad, yet beautiful at the same time. I've watched it twice or something..

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Cardcaptor Sakura mostly cuz it got me into anime...Its the first anime in Japanese i watched

Pokemon, mostly cuz of the mass amount of fans back then, when liking Pokemon was normal

Yugioh, for mostly the same reason as pokemon

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    I would hafta say Inuyasha.

Why I say that is because Inuyasha has always made me feel better in sadness anger and even sickness. Inuyasha is my life and I dont know how my life would be like if I didnt have it.

Back