• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most intimidating physical sweeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Well, currently I would say I'm most scared of Life Orb, Dragon Dance Gyarados. It annihiliates teams that aren't running a fast enough pokemon to counter after a DD, meaning usually Deoxys-E is the only option. With a single DD, any Celebi under 75% kicks the bucket, and Celebi is widely considered one of the better Gyarados counters in the game, so if it can beat arguably it's best counter, how can you stop that? It's becoming more popular, and for good reason.

Another would be Salamence, as it has so many different sets people utilize, it's almost impossible to know what your opponent is going to dish out. Someone leads with a Salamence, and you think 'OMG, SpecsMence! Quick, switch to Blissey!' Then it DD's in your face and good game.

~T_S

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    My newest team is Vire weak by definition and the only one I ran into today didn't hurt anything of mine. Bad example (because it's Electivire) :P

Agreeing with c_dog about Machamp. I used it on the presidents and wow, it is one of the best CBers around. It's slow so offensive teams can be troublesome, but when it lands a hit...wow. Payback is also really awesome on it, beating down psychics like it does. Medicham needed that.

EDIT: Agreeing with T_S, even though I'm surprised people haven't been using Thunder Wave Celebi which totally destroys LO Gyarados's ability to sweep. It also supports the team but eh maybe I'm just crazy...lol

Ársa

k.
    Years
    I was running T-Wave, but I found reflect helped my cause better vs other physical sweepers, and Celebi over 75% beats LO DD Gyara anywho. (drawing on my conversation with Aquilae as to my LO DD Gyara weakness)

~T_S

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Just a note: For people who say it "depends on the team" We all know that, but you must also know some sweepers can be much more troublesome for a wider variety of teams that others. For example, Gyarados is threatening to teams made of fragile sweepers, but it can also hurt wall dependent teams due to it's ability to DD up in their face.

Some sweepers, however, like Electivire, gets walled to hell by a lot of teams with things like Gliscor, Bronzong, Metagross, etc...But it can be *sort* threatening to teams of fragile sweepers god help you if it god a speed boost.

Aquilae

=))))))))88888888OOOOOOOO<
    Years
    LO Gyarados. It beats out Garchomp due to almost every team having to carry a counter / Steel type, and whatmore there are no electric priority moves. Your basic set, Dragon Dance / Aqua Tail / Stone Edge / Ice Fang has very few counters. BulkyGyara can't tank and can't sweep, so its a no go.

Gyarados' counters:

• Celebi - 2HKOed by LO Ice Fang after a DD, and Grass Knot fails to KO Gyarados before it wipes out Celebi. Reflect variants also are at risk if they are 77% health or below on the switchin (SR + 11% prior damage), or if Gyarados gets lucky and rolls more than minimum damage the two turns
    • Tangrowth - LO Gyarados does min 44% to Tangrowth meaning it would wipe Tangrowth out before it can KO it. Unless Tangrowth is running Morning Sun it doesn't have a chance.
    • Cresselia - LO Aqua Tail does 48% min to 252 HP/108 Def Bold so it is a 2-3HKO. Cress can't KO back with Charge Beam in return. Unless it has Moonlight / Reflect, it doesn't stand a chance.
    • Uxie - No reliable recovery besides RestTalk meaning that it is prone to being worn down, DD Aqua Tail does min 51% and max 61%.
    • Mesprit - Doesn't carry recovery at all in most cases meaning that it can be worn down, LO DD Aqua Tail does min 58%
    • Starmie - Gyarados outspeeds and does 86% min with Stone Edge/EQ, OHKOs with Bite on the standard spread. Max defense variants take 67% min from Bite and 55% min from Stone Edge / EQ
    • Slowbro - 2HKOed by LO DD Bite after SR damage, can't OHKO back, otherwise it can counter Gyarados
    • Milotic - 2HKOed by LO DD Stone Edge / EQ while failing to OHKO in return
    • Vaporeon - Counter
    • Suicune - Counter
    • Porygon2 - 100% counter
    Not to mention with the speed boost Gyarados would be able to outspeed a lot of common pokemon and Gyarados can setup on a whole host of pokemon.

Garchomp is prepared for on every team, whereas Gyarados can't really be prepared for unless said team has a bulky counter. In the case of all-out offense teams they get brutally decimated by LO DD Gyarados and mostly the only thing stopping it is Deoxys-S.

P.S. No Guard Machamp gets my vote due to irritating confusionhax that always seems to plague me

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years
    Personally I've both had more success with and more problems with Swords Dance Infernape than any other physical sweeper, including Garchomp and Gyarados. That's because I counter MixApe with Psychetres, the Moltres set I advertise as being a counter for standard Milotic and Vaporeon (and I'm not joking, I can bring it in on an SE STAB Surf and actually beat them). SDApe rips me up because of the SE Thunderpunch and 4x SE Stone Edge.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Obligatory Garchomp comment, CB Chomp is just a monster. It really is, there is no other way to put it.

LO DD Gyarados. This thing just tears teams apart (FINALLY people are using it over that mess "Bulky Dos")

Both Tyranitar and Salamence are nasty aswell.

Also im going to Dragonite, again another VERY powerful pokemon thats often underrated.

And last and but by no meant least, the Fighting pokemon AKA Heracross, Machamp, Gallade and Lucario etc.

I also think most of the intimidation on these actually comes from them being unpredictable.

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years
    I'm so with you on that offensive Gyara vs bulky Gyara thing, I never put LO on my offensive Gyara but I did stuff like EV'd it to hit 398 after a dance, which tears up all other DDers that aim for 396 to beat Aero. Though I liked when everyone used bulky Gyara, my offensive Gyara would tear up teams because everyone thought their Aeros and Jolteons and such outspeed me after a dance.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    1 word: Salamence.
    with max stats he has 405 attack

Divine~Deoxys

And? Loads of pokes have good attacks.My most feared sweepres woudl be..hmmm....i'm scared of most but........Blissey.King-T's swept through mine a while back.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Blissey. King-T's swept through mine a while back.

1.) Blissey is not a Sweeper. Period.
    2.) Crappy attack status (10 Atk and 75 SpA).
    3.) It has 135 Base SpD making it a special wall (10 Def gets pwned).

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    And? Loads of pokes have good attacks.My most feared sweepres woudl be..hmmm....i'm scared of most but........Blissey.King-T's swept through mine a while back.

That just proves your team was bad =/ Not that Blissey is a good (or even a) sweeper

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    CMBlissey is rockin', but that's not really something that should be in a thread that specifically says, "physical sweeper." =P

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Garchomp hands down. They are the most annoying of all pokemon ( apart from maybe Blissey xD, darn that defense ) and they are usually in most teams on Shoddy. Sand Veil is the most annoying ability except maybe Sand Stream ( I love TTar though )

Also Blissey shouldn't even have any attack stats anyway so your Blissey must just have sucked xD

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Hey, look it's S&M. 8D

Garchomp takes the cake for me, but I'd rather throw out other options for intimidating sweeper. (Let's just pretend it doesn't exist for a moment.) |D

Lucario - Swords Dance simply destroys unprepared teams. If's powerful, can finish a ballgame and really slaughters teams.

Gyarados - Seriously? Do I really have to say anything else? Game breaking ability, taunt, versatility from WacanDD to LO-DD to Restalk to Bulky, Gyarados is top five mosst intimidating sweeper, no doubt.

I would mention Salamence, but this is "physical sweeper" not mix or the other side of the spectrum. ): Choice Band does surprise people though, don't underestimate that. Salamence is perfectly viable for physical or special, so I'd rather mention it in an "overall" thread. XD

Last edited:

Divine~Deoxys

OK,everyody's angry with me now,so i'll puit my most feared physical sweepres:

Gyarados:Isn't everyone afraid of it?
    Tyranitar:I can deal with quite easily,but god,is it good at hurting stuff.
    SDLuke:Never batteled one,sounds scary though

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back