• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Most likely Uni talk, idk sometimes food and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirfetch’d

College was great....for a week. I prefer my college to high school but that isn't saying much. Maybe it'd be less stressful if I really knew what I wanted to do with my life.

pkmin3033

College was...short. It was also much, much harder than University, at least for me. I miss it terribly ;_;

Savour your youth whilst you can. Soon, it'll all be gone and you'll find the future is a bleak, miserable prospect with little to hope for.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ohh College. Right. I forget that apparently there's a difference between College and University?

In Sweden we only have Universities, or schools at that level called literally "High school" but it's of course not high school haha. It's University level too, but less fancy.

At uni, I had my best years of life. I made so many friends, learned so much about life and about my field of interest, ruined sooo many brain cells on so much alcohol at so many amazing parties, most of which I actually remember. Uni is amazing, if you go all in and make the most of it. You can sit at home or work hard or be an introvert for the rest of your life (and maybe that's what I'm going to do now haha) but uni (or college maybe?) is your time to bloom. Or imo it should be c: at least here, it is.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Ohh College. Right. I forget that apparently there's a difference between College and University?

In Sweden we only have Universities, or schools at that level called literally "High school" but it's of course not high school haha. It's University level too, but less fancy.

At uni, I had my best years of life. I made so many friends, learned so much about life and about my field of interest, ruined sooo many brain cells on so much alcohol at so many amazing parties, most of which I actually remember. Uni is amazing, if you go all in and make the most of it. You can sit at home or work hard or be an introvert for the rest of your life (and maybe that's what I'm going to do now haha) but uni (or college maybe?) is your time to bloom. Or imo it should be c: at least here, it is.

Americans use both words as synonyms, British don't.
    Uni years are amazing, but with it comes loads of work as well. But there's time to drink, time to have fun, and time to study.
    (Edit: Cute name, but I'm still waiting for Rikachu.)

pkmin3033

College is a two-year (or more) gap between school and University here; Americans etc. generally have two additional mandatory years of education more than us. Think of it like...sixth-form. You can actually do sixth-form instead of College and go straight to University afterwards, I think.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It varies in the UK. The standard length of a degree is 3 years, some universities condense the course into 2 years but that's way more intense. Others actually can take 4 years to allow time for more studies and what not. It really just depends on the university and course you're taking I guess.

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Here we have 4 years of primary school, 5 years of basic school and 3 of secondary school. 12 years. Then straight to Uni, where most of the courses are 3-year degrees (with a few exceptions) followed by two of Master's. And courses like mine which are something with a weird name but basically a 5-year Master's.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    huh that it's so different around the world. Interesting c:

Here you go years 1-9 (age 7-15) absolutely mandatory, and then the vast majority finishes "gymnasium" which has year 1-3 (ages 16-18). Some programs there have 4 years, so you'd quit when you might have already turned 20 I guess. You can start Uni whenever you like, many start immediately after gymnasium, so at age 18 or 19 (or 20, but if you take 4 year gymnasium you usually did a program that gets you a job without uni grades).

At Uni, most people go for a bachelor for 3 years, and many build onto that with a 2 year masters. I did that c: Some become "civil engineers" (the swedish such term, not what you might think it means in english) and just go 5 years straight without a real bachelor graduation in between.

Years
  • Uh, I think the college Meloetta is referring to are the two years for the A-levels which you do after doing your GCSEs. They're not necessarily mandatory, so much as you have to be in some form of education until you're eighteen (but that can include BTECs, apprenticeships, etc.). A-levels are usually what you use to get into Unis, where you then do the regular 3-4 year courses (for undergraduate study at least). It's generally easier to just call that time sixth form over college, though, because of the ambiguity (my secondary school had College in its name, for example, despite not going up till sixth form).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back