• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Revolutionary Feature/Concept added to the games?

Years
  • What do you think the most revolutionary feature is to hit the pokemon games (non spinoffs)? Perhaps the ability to trade and battle wirelessly 'over the internet', the transition to full color in RS, the physical/special split or maybe the addition of the dark and steel types in the second generation?

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • The weather. It sounds so silly. But I remember playing Sapphire for the first time and being amazed at how it was raining in the game. Stupid, I know. But that did it for me.

The steel/dark types were pretty amazing when I was young, too. I was, also, shocked to see Bite marked as "Dark" instead of "Normal".

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I thought the weather was pretty cool too but I will have to go with Breeding and the instituting of night & Day also the new B/W feature of seasonal changes is pretty cool too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • -The introduction of Dark and Steel. They made it so that Psychics wouldn't be overpowered, and it also gave Fighting Pokemon 2 more types to hit for super effective damage
    -Physical/special split: Some Pokemon benefitted from it (like Hitmonchan, Kingler and Sneasel)
    -Wi-Fi trading

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Dark/steel types
    Follow feature (that was so awesome ;( )
    Female player added
    Weather
    In game time (night, day, dusk, dawn)
    Rematches (gym rematches especially) This will be very sorely missed D;

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Didn't I make this once?

I'm gunna go with the follow-me feature, Vs. Seeker, GB Sounds, and the special/physical split.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • For me it would have to be the introduction of real double battles in RS, and I love how they enhanced it more in Emerald. To me it just made pokemon more fun to play :D

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I'm trying to think of the most unique new aspect that was introduced, i.e. not a simple extension of an existing feature. Battling/trading between games was available in the original games, so Wi-fi wasn't that stunning. Physical/special was overdue, although I'll admit I hadn't really thought about it before it was done (probably because I didn't really know how it worked back then) so it was something of a nice surprise.

Weather/daylight was a pretty good addition (seasons less so), and come a close third. The new types come second in my list, although I don't think they're quite as revolutionary given they showed up in only the second generation, so there wasn't much to revolutionise - the same goes for breeding.

My top spot goes to abilities. They were completely different to any other feature, and can have profound effects on the game. The expansions on this feature to dual abilities and Dream World exclusive ones are both good.

The follow feature was just another gimmick in a game that could only be supported by extras - Gold/Silver didn't have much to them, so the remakes had to throw as much as possible into them to keep them interesting. I never cared for the follow feature, and certainly don't miss it, and I'm surprised by how many people claim it's the best thing ever. Also, it showed up on Yellow, a time when there was almost nothing to revolutionise in the first place! So no, that feature is in no way revolutionary.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • i think it has to be the wireless and completely unbounded trading. the original games almost required you to trade but with the wireless you can trade with anyone anywhere

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • For me it was the Physical/Special split. When I was little I always assumed it was like that until I played Fr/Lg and it told you that the stats were type specific. So when they actually made the split in D/P it made gaming a lot better since my Hitmonchan stopped sucking so bad with the elemental punches.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I really liked the day/night system. I thought it was fun catching certain pokemon at different times of the day.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • -Dark and Steel typing
    -Wi-fi battles and trading

The first was the biggest single change made to the battle system. The second really simplified the battling and trading processes and brought the players of Pokemon closer than ever before.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:
    Back