• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most useless Pokemon move tournament

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Outside of competitive battling, Swallow I could say is completely useless in most cases (unless you're too poor for hyper potions, etc.) and doesn't even compete with Spit Up (Believe it or not, spit up that has been charged 3 times is twice as powerful as hyper beam).

In competitive battling, healing moves can be very valuable. However, the likelihood of surviving 2-3 rounds for storing HP (50% for 2, 100% for 3) would be slim in competitive battling. Spit Up can do massive damage at once to "surprise" the opponent, but again, it would usually be hard to survive 2 or 3 rounds in competitive battling (In this case it's kind of like bide, but with set damage). Even then, I vote for Spit Up, because trying to endure 3 hits to recover is somewhat redundant (most of the times in competitive battling you won't survive 3 hits unless your opponent was trapped or set up on), while Spit Up has massive chance to OHKO the opponent provided that they're not ghost-types (300 base power is no joke, obviously)

So my vote for useless move goes to swallow.

Rukiabdl

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    Swallow really has little use. A lot of build-up just to erase the damage taken building it up.

Snorelacks

Swallow beat Spit Up 3-0 in the previous competition. Swallow is on to the next round.

This competition is Smog vs. Barrage. Vote for which you think is worse.

Smog: 70 accuracy, 20 power, special Poison-Type move with 40% chance to regularly poison the target.

Barrage: 15 power, 85 accuracy, physical Normal-Type move. Hits target 2-5 times. Signature move of Exeggcute and Exeggutor.

This is a really hard one. I guess my vote goes to Smog. It only hits as much as Thunder, Blizzard and Hurricane for what? 20 power and a chance of regular poison? Even against a Grass-Type with awful Special Defense, it does maybe 10-30% damage.

Don't get me wrong, Barrage stinks equally. Or, almost equally. It's a signature move with no STAB, bad accuracy and only 75 power at the maximum.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
    I'm voting for Smog, because Barrage can do more damage 67.5% of the time, and is bit more accurate. Plus there are always better moves that can poison (Toxic, etc.)

Snorelacks

I'm voting for Smog, because Barrage can do more damage 67.5% of the time, and is bit more accurate. Plus there are always better moves that can poison (Toxic, etc.)

Barrage does a maximum of 150 BP damage, and that's if it hits 5 times and scores a critical hit. It's still nowhere close to 67.5% of the time that Barrage hits for 75 power. Just wanted to point that out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Okay...I'd go with Smog. It's very weak and I'd rather use Sludge Bomb, which has the same chance of poisoning.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
    Barrage does a maximum of 150 BP damage, and that's if it hits 5 times and scores a critical hit. It's still nowhere close to 67.5% of the time that Barrage hits for 75 power. Just wanted to point that out.
    Smog has base power of 20, increasing to whopping 40 if it is super effective. Barrage hits at least 2 times, which means it has minimum BP of 30. Chance of barrage hitting 2 times is 37.5% and... wait... *headdesk*

But my point still stands. It can still do more than 40 BP damage 62.5% of the time, which is STILL more than half the time. And smog can get STAB, but only poison-type pokemon evo line that can naturally learn it is the koffing evo line. (other poison type pokemon can learn it through breeding, but what's the practical use if there are literally tens of better poison-type moves?)

And even with Koffing/Weezing hitting a pokemon with SUPER-EFFECTIVE 60 Base Power damage, it's just not too common enough to see in order for it to become "useful." At least Barrage is a signature move, a useful one or not.

Last edited:

Snorelacks

Smog has base power of 20, increasing to whopping 40 if it is super effective. Barrage hits at least 2 times, which means it has minimum BP of 30. Chance of barrage hitting 2 times is 37.5% and... wait... *headdesk*

But my point still stands. It can still do more than 40 BP damage 62.5% of the time, which is STILL more than half the time. And smog can get STAB, but only poison-type pokemon evo line that can naturally learn it is the koffing evo line. (other poison type pokemon can learn it through breeding, but what's the practical use if there are literally tens of better poison-type moves?)

And even with Koffing/Weezing hitting a pokemon with SUPER-EFFECTIVE 60 Base Power damage, it's just not too common enough to see in order for it to become "useful." At least Barrage is a signature move, a useful one or not.

Yeah... I made a mistake, I switched Smog's accuracy with its base power in my mind when I wrote the last post.
    Why does Flareon get Smog? As long as it has a Fire-Type move when it's that "young", why would you ever put Smog on it?

I'm currently compiling a list of Pokemon that can use a moveset with unresisted type coverage (for fun).

Lanturn
    Thunderbolt/Discharge
    Surf/Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Signal Beam

Gengar
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    HP Ice/Icy Wind
    Focus Blast

Infernape is pretty close...
    Hmm... I'm not sure anymore.