• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Viable Alolan Forms?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    Thus far, I've only met:

MEOWTH: Not impressed, put it in my team but ended up replacing it because it's not versatile .
    DIGLETT: Typing doesn't appeal, though I wanted to call one Klav&TheGavins.
    MUK: A boss, love it as a poison dark tank
    MAROWAK: Bit underwhelming, loses STAB on all ground moves, gotta move re-learn for shadow club move.

Have you found any really good ones?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I'm going to try Ninetails in my Sun game (using all the exclusives, because why not). Seems a little weak, but I'm hoping that high powered stabs make up for it

Years
  • I've use Alolan Diglett and Dugtrio. They save me quite a bit during my playthrough. Completely obliterate the Kiawe's totem in one go and I didn't have a water type at the time.

Alolan Sandslash is alright! Just get rid of it's common threats Fighting and Fire Types/Moves! and it makes a fantastic physical wall towards everything.

Alolan Ninetales is super good in the Sp. Def department and with the hidden ability Snow Warning it can up Def and Sp. Def with a certain move during Hail! This Pokémon is definitely good against the Bug Types that are special attackers.

Alolan Exeguttor! I love him! Like Alolan Sandslash get rid of his common threats! He wallsannoying ground Types decently and you can make him into a mix attacker! Who doesn't love that? Seriously prepare for him! I fought him plenty of times and people do weird tricks with this guy! . _ .;

My least favorite is Alolan Marowak! Just keep Lighting Rod ability.. Give him as much resistance as possible! Water is to common and they're top major defensive line aside from Steel Types!

A lot of shenanigans this gen! Literally! XD

Last edited:

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • The games only came out in the UK yesterday so I'm not very far through the game yet. I caught an Alolan Grimer near the Trainer School early in the game for Pokédex purposes, but ended up having to use it in a battle when my opponent got a critical hit on my Rowlet and knocked him out. Grimer is now my main 'secondary' Pokémon after Dartrix and sweeps aside all in his path. I love him, and I can't wait for him to evolve into the psychedelic rainbow Muk! ^^

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • While Meowth wont be on my permanent team (just replaced it after evolving it), it worked wonders early game with Fake Out and Bite. It was honestly one of my best pokemon because it dealt high damage and was super speedy. But I would predict that Alolan Persian would be relatively weaker later in the game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2016
    I got alolan Raichu as soon as possible. I didn't catch a lot of pokemon up untill rockruff which took a while. Pichu died so many times cause he was so weak and frail with rowlett as only support he didn't evolve into pikachu untill like lvl 25. Alolan Raichu was one of my most valuable members cause of his diverse movepool, while he was frail he was also pretty strong. In terms of viability I'd say he can be pretty viable. Get an electric terrain up and he has up to 638 speed at stage 0 speed boost

Sgt. Heracross

I Heracross my heart that I'm better than the rest
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    For me, Alolan Ninetales has proven itself as a strong member of my team. Even with that crushing 4x weakness to Steel, I still love it and it compliments the rest of my team pretty well.

Years
  • Alola Golem is my jam when it come from chosing any alola pokemon! I do remember being disapointed about alola persian and dugtrio so far ( maybe because i got horrible ev/iv about both of them...because i do remember having a lame palossand who barely do anything and then I catch another sandygast wich was way better than my old pallosand. )

matsuko

Alliterating Artist
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    well, in my personal opinion, alolan persian looks retarded, but i like the sandshrew/slash looks... nothing has stood out battle-wise yet to me... i feel like marowak would be useful if i ever evolve my cubone...

Years
  • I was very impressed by Alolan Raichu. It's extremely fast with high Sp. Attack, and even the rival Hau has one, which is very strong when you first encounter it. I also have to give a nod to Alolan Sandslash, that despite having nasty weaknesses to Fire and Fighting, it can surprisingly take hits well against anything other than those two types.

Alolan Muk also has one of the best defensive types out there, so I give him a nod as well.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I was very impressed by Alolan Raichu. It's extremely fast with high Sp. Attack, and even the rival Hau has one, which is very strong when you first encounter it. I also have to give a nod to Alolan Sandslash, that despite having nasty weaknesses to Fire and Fighting, it can surprisingly take hits well against anything other than those two types.

Alolan Muk also has one of the best defensive types out there, so I give him a nod as well.

I used Raichu on my team, and, if I'm being honest, I wasn't overly impressed. I had many times that it fainted in one hit to attacks (even those doing neutral damage).

I would've used Sandslash if it was available sooner.

Years
  • I used Raichu on my team, and, if I'm being honest, I wasn't overly impressed. I had many times that it fainted in one hit to attacks (even those doing neutral damage).

Maybe yours might have had bad IVs or something. But that's what I wanted to point out, it has horrible defenses (more worse physical defense than special if I'm aware) so don't be surprised if you find it failing all the time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Muk and Marowak are the more useful Alolan forms, IMO. Alolan Muk is straight-up better than the original because of its sole weakness to Ground and it now has a chance agains the Psychics that plagued it for 20 years. Alolan Marowak is a nice check for the Electric spam flying around.

Back