• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Motion controls will be standard in the next generation

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    It seems to me that motion controls are going to become standard in the next generation of videogame consoles. Motion controls on the Wii have been very successful for Nintendo, and now Sony and Microsoft have adopted motion controls as a major part of their business strategies as well. Motion controls will probably be even more important in the next generation as all three companies will try to win over the casual gamers. Motion controls are now the key to success.

Yes the age of controlling games with just buttons is almost over. How does this make you feel? Personally I am happy. Controlling games with motions is a lot more intuitive than controlling games with silly little buttons in my opinion.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    It won't be the standard.

Nintendo have moved on from motion control. Their recent releases and business structure shows that. It's all about fan service and retro revival.

Sony and Microsoft are one step behind, and their products are going to fail miserably..I mean it's not like any other major console peripheral has done well when it's introduced halfway through a console's lifespan (Sega CD, 32X and Nintendo 64DD for example.)

"Hardcore" gamers don't want Kinect or Move. so there aren't many of them who are going to buy it, and families and other "casual" gamers aren't exactly going to spend about twice as much to get the console and the peripheral when they can just get a Wii and have what they will see as the exact same thing, all in one well priced bundle.

Motion controls will exist, but they won't be the standard. It will remain as it is.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    It won't be the standard.Nintendo have moved on from motion control. Their recent releases and business structure shows that. It's all about fan service and retro revival.

That is because Nintendo has already won over a big casual gamer audience with their motion control games and now they are hoping to ween them onto their main games. But in the next generation they will need to win them over all over again with motion controls or some other gimmick which will probably be motion related.

Sony and Microsoft are one step behind, and their products are going to fail miserably..I mean it's not like any other major console peripheral has done well when it's introduced halfway through a console's lifespan (Sega CD, 32X and Nintendo 64DD for example.)

I think those things failed because their selling points were not unique. I think the only thing they really let you do was play slightly more advanced games. But the Kinnect is different it has a completely unique selling point and I think it will be very successful. The pre-orders are already very good I hear.

"Hardcore" gamers don't want Kinect or Move. so there aren't many of them who are going to buy it, and families and other "casual" gamers aren't exactly going to spend about twice as much to get the console and the peripheral when they can just get a Wii and have what they will see as the exact same thing, all in one well priced bundle.

I think that deep down most "hardcore" gamers only dislike motion controls at the moment because Nintendo is doing them: a lot of "hardcore" gamers have an irrational hate for Nintendo. But when they see how much more intuitive their favorite shooty games or whatever can be with motion controls they will warm up to them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I think that deep down most "hardcore" gamers only dislike motion controls at the moment because Nintendo is doing them: a lot of "hardcore" gamers have an irrational hate for Nintendo. But when they see how much more intuitive their favorite shooty games or whatever can be with motion controls they will warm up to them.
    Intuitive? Have you seen Call of Duty played using the Wii's motion controls? It's a mess.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    They'll both probably bomb even though I want both of them to be successful. Apparently, even if Nintendo didn't do it first, everyone is copying Nintendo and trying to get a slice of that casual cake.

I'll be damned if motion controls are successful this time, as they have only been popular with the Wii.
    Nintendo have moved on from motion control. Their recent releases and business structure shows that. It's all about fan service and retro revival.
    It seems more like the Wii was too ambitious of a gaming machine, seeing as how the controls were unresponsive at quite a few times, especially before WiiMotionPlus. And yes, this does matter, otherwise Nintendo would have moved on with motion controls after the Power Glove.

And SPOILER ALERT, Nintendo was always about retro revival. Just look at how much times they remake their games.
    The Power Glove sold 100,000 copies in the US. It depends more on how you sell it. I always thought of Nintendo as a snake oil salesman in this case but I think most people know they're getting themselves into a library full of shovelware.
    I'd understand Kinect, but it's a bit harder for me to believe Move, since it seems to be targetted at both Hardcore gamers and the casual audience. Granted it's still leaning towards the casual audience, but it's no Kinect game library. Some of the games that are going to have Move support: Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, Heavy Rain, Resident Evil 5, The Fight, Mag, Time Shift, among quite a few others, and that's just the games that are confirmed to have Move support at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other games came with Move support. Oh, and The PS3 already has casual players with them too.

Don't treat everything I say seriously though, cause I'm just a Sony fanboy.

Last edited:

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    The entire notion of motion controls is ridiculous.
    They're innaccurate, messy and horrible to deal with.
    Which is most of the reason my Wii is sat on my shelf, gathering dust.

Playing FPS on the Wii is a trainwreck.
    Playing it with Move and Kinect will be just as bad.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Eh, I think Move may work just fine. The way it works seems simpler in description, at least.
    Kinect is it's own thing... I don't know what to make of that quite yet.

Regardless, I don't think motion control is ubiquitous quite yet. maybe eventually, but I doubt it'll happen with your PS4 or Xbox 720.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The entire notion of motion controls is ridiculous.
    They're innaccurate, messy and horrible to deal with.
    Which is most of the reason my Wii is sat on my shelf, gathering dust.

Inaccurate eh?

WiiMotion Plus fixed the Wii quite a bit, but it's still a bit unresponsive at times. Move is much more responsive because it has an actual camera and not a motion sensor. It also does tracking in X, Y, and Z-axis, instead of the Wii's (as far as I know) X and Y-axis.
    Here's just a small example.

Granted, I heard it has to be under certain lighting conditions and it's really expensive. The only question about the Move is whether people are willing to pay at least $80 for the controller(There's a $100 bundle that sadly lacks the $30 sub-controller) alone.

As for Kinect, it's not a bad machine at all, but look at this. Not only that, but controller free gaming is too limiting and because of that it will be unlikely that Kinect will have a lot of games that appeal to the core audience for Microsoft. Last time I checked the only hardcore game for Kinect are Uncaged and possibly Star Wars.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    To be honest, I'm growing more and more skeptical of the potential of motion controls all the time. The point of a control system is to provide the player with as direct a method of control as possible. Counter-intuitively, motion control does the opposite of this. The reason why buttons work better for control is because they require so little physical movement. This allows for the characters on screen to act at speeds that we as humans cannot. Motion control puts too many limits on what can happen on screen.

That said, another problem with motion control is that in addition to being a pointless gimmick, it's also a really resource-heavy gimmick, company side. Time and money that companies spend integrating and perfecting motion control is time and money they could spend on things that matter, like gameplay, graphics, and sound design.

Barney. said:
    Motion controls will exist, but they won't be the standard. It will remain as it is.
    I agree completely. They're nice for the casual crowd, but hardcore games require something more rigorous, and Nintendo knows this. Just look at the latest Super Smash Bros.

Jolene said:
    I think that deep down most "hardcore" gamers only dislike motion controls at the moment because Nintendo is doing them: a lot of "hardcore" gamers have an irrational hate for Nintendo.
    Now that's just unfair. I happen to really like Nintendo, due in no small part to Mario, Zelda (Ocarina of Time, at least), and Pokemon. A lot of the motion control "haters" are actually Nintendo fans that just want Nintendo to make better games.

Thordainhammer

Blanker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2011
    If you can show me any great games that are made a lot better by the motion controls of the Wii then maybe motion controls have potential. As is they are a gimmick that Nintendo is able to use to rope in the casual audience. Kinect might do alright in the beginning in the casual market, but it could very easily flop tremendously. If Sony can actually sell the move at that high pricepoint they have then they might get some hardcore support thanks to it working with SOCOM and such. But the fact of the matter is that even with the Kinect and Move, motion controls are still less efficient than buttons and require far more effort than the hardcore are ever going to want to use in order to play.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024

No shooty games are one of the things that the Wii does very well because all you need is a pointer and the Wii pointer is always accurate.

To be honest, I'm growing more and more skeptical of the potential of motion controls all the time. The point of a control system is to provide the player with as direct a method of control as possible. Counter-intuitively, motion control does the opposite of this. The reason why buttons work better for control is because they require so little physical movement. This allows for the characters on screen to act at speeds that we as humans cannot. Motion control puts too many limits on what can happen on screen.

Motion controls are more intuitive because they let you control a game without having to memorize button combinations and such. Like in Zelda Skyward Sword you can roll bombs or throw them based on the motion you make whereas if there were no motion controls you would have had to memorize a button combination or something. Motion controls are really a lot better in my opinion.

I think the only reason some people are opposed to them is because you associate them with casual games.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    To be honest, I'm growing more and more skeptical of the potential of motion controls all the time. The point of a control system is to provide the player with as direct a method of control as possible.

I thought it was there to make you feel more immersed in the game. Even though you're still watching a television screen and pressing buttons, you'll feel much more like you're in the game when moving your arms instead of when moving an analog stick.

Just my .02, though they'll still be gimmicks through and through.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I don't think motion controls will stay.
    I think it is just a phase the major game companies are going through.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    No shooty games are one of the things that the Wii does very well because all you need is a pointer and the Wii pointer is always accurate.

I've played CoD on the Wii round a friends house. The aiming is very shaky, The cursor is innaccurate, and every time I run into a guy I have to go through an epic dance of failure before I actually kill him due to the problems I have aiming. The Wii pointer is horribly innacurrate. I've tried setting up my Wii various times and I've optimised it to the best of my ability, yet it is still very messy. You just can't get the precision you can with a PC or a Dual Analog controller.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I've played CoD on the Wii round a friends house. The aiming is very shaky, The cursor is innaccurate, and every time I run into a guy I have to go through an epic dance of failure before I actually kill him due to the problems I have aiming. The Wii pointer is horribly innacurrate. I've tried setting up my Wii various times and I've optimised it to the best of my ability, yet it is still very messy. You just can't get the precision you can with a PC or a Dual Analog controller.

No you are either doing it wrong or you are making things up on account of your irrational hate of motion controls. The Wii pointer is always accurate and I am sure that most people who do not share your irrational hate will agree. At the moment the only problem with motion controlled shooty games is that you normally have to use the pointer to control the camera and the targeting thing at the same time so it can be slow to turn around. If games are designed with that in mind then it will not be a problem.

Motion are not perfect yet but they are much more immersive than regular controls so I think game companies will keep working on them and improving them because the end result will be a lot better than controlling games with silly little buttons.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Videos speak louder than any words.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

One game is played on the XBOX and the Other is played on the Wii.
    It's quite obvious in the wii video that the controls are innacurate.
    It's not my "Irrational hate of the wii"
    It's cold hard fact.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years

hardcore gamers have an irrational hate for nintendo because of motion controls

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    This isn't about 'casual' or 'hardcore' (as I consider myself neither), but personally I prefer good ol' normal controllers. It feels strange to me to control games any other way even though it would make sense that motion controls could be more immersive. Issues of whether controls work or not aside, my own motor skills aren't really good and I feel like I'd get more precision with just my thumbs and a set of buttons. Also, I just feel silly flailing about to play a game, almost as silly as I feel playing something that requires vocal input.

Personally I like Nintendo, but having games require certain control methods without the option of standard controls makes me almost nervous in a sense about buying new games. Take Zelda, for instance. I took the 'safe route' and got the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. Now, though I fully intend to buy it, I'm a bit wary about Skyward Sword's controls. I hope I can control it well enough to enjoy what looks to be a fantastic new (long awaited) console Zelda title.

I think fancy control methods in general (Nintendo's or otherwise) are rather gimmicky anyway, and in some cases, detract from the games themselves. I think this is just another phase the world of gaming is going through. Ideally, though, I think normal controls and motion controls should co-exist equally, so that there's something for everyone and not too much of one thing over another. Even though I personally prefer normal controllers, I don't think any form of control is inherently 'the best' and thus meant to take over.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Videos speak louder than any words.

Eww I am not going to sit through those videos. Tell me the point in the video where the Wii remote is inaccurate and I will go to it.

hardcore gamers have an irrational hate for nintendo because of motion controls

"Hardcore" gamers hated Nintendo before they started using motion controls.

mooglehunter

Teh non-Haxor
    Years
    the number of "hardcore" gamers that hated nintendo before the wii was minute compared to the number that hated it because of the wii. i for one liked the gamecube, and consider myself an avid "hardcore"gamer. only recently( this e3) did i stop hating the wii.

EDIT: this is turning into a nintendo bashing thread so i will just say that motion controls will be relevant, but not the staple of future game consoles. i think 3d is more moving in the right direction

Back