• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Motivation with Card Collecting

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Lately I've been second guessing the purpose of my Card collecting journey because of basically no one subscribes to my channel. I've bought Base set 1st edition booster packs, Booster boxes not sure what I am really doing wrong and I have lost confident to spend wads of money on something that will hardly be seen. This is just a box to vent my frustration and want to know an answer.

So many people have 10's of thousands of subs and i have 11. while I don't expect as much as that why is it worth my while to open highly valued cards of WOTC 1st edition to 11 subs?. I just feel empty.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
    Years
  • Youtube is just about over-saturated with Pokemon material (it's over-saturated with just about anything video game wise, but that's not relevant right now). It's incredibly difficult to get a following, and those who do have a large fan base usually do for a few reasons: they make really high quality videos, they know someone or get to know people already successful, or they simply got there early when there was little to no competition. There's more to it besides, but from my experience those are usually the biggest factors.

And of course, they all do it because they love to make the videos. I guarantee you none of them make a lot of money from youtube (save maybe, maybe Jwittz), yet that doesn't stop them from uploading. Over time, if they continue to make good quality material, then yeah, people will start watching their videos. One of my favorite new guys on the block is ellpeefoo (spelling may be off), and he's perfectly happy with his (currently) small fan base. If you don't like buying cards simply because you enjoy it, then stop buying cards. If you don't like uploading videos to youtube, stop uploading to youtube. I've made a few videos too, and I really don't expect to ever get a following. Will that stop me? No. Although school might, lol.

If you really care about getting views, it's important to network as well; no offense to RenaeCollects or Sephazon, but they probably wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today if they hadn't gotten to know the right people. Do they still make good quality videos? Yes. Are there many other people also making good videos but not getting the subscribers? Heck yes.

But yeah. If you don't believe that buying more cards is worth it, then stop wasting your money. But if you really do like buying cards and making videos just for the sake of it, then you shouldn't worry about other people viewing your content.

Years
  • Have you tried networking with other YouTubers with low subscriber counts that happen to open booster boxes or booster packs in their videos? That's one way to widen your reach, and they'll be more willing to work promotions for your channel into their videos and collaborate with you than the far busier channels that have higher subscriber counts. You'd of course have to be willing to plug them in your videos as well. Try to be entertaining while having your own style. Those are tips from a really popular YouTuber I subscribe to who does sports video game Let's Plays. He made a video specifically regarding tips on how to try to be successful on YouTube because he got asked the "How do I get more subscribers?" question so many times.

Alternatively, you could try viewing the collection as being for you instead of being for your videos. I've been collecting the cards exclusively for me for around 13 or 14 years!

Back