• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Move Tutor speculation and wishlist

Years
  • Every enhanced version and remake of main series Pokemon games always tends to include a Move Tutor that the player pays something (such as BP or shards) to get their Pokemon to learn a special move that couldn't be learned otherwise. Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are looking very likely to follow in the footsteps as the "improved versions" that came before it in this aspect.

This thread is to be a catch-all on what you think should be in a possible Move Tutor for US/UM. What moves would you like to see be tutorable in these games, and for which Pokemon?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Every enhanced version and remake of main series Pokemon games always tends to include a Move Tutor that the player pays something (such as BP or shards) to get their Pokemon to learn a special move that couldn't be learned otherwise. Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are looking very likely to follow in the footsteps as the "improved versions" that came before it in this aspect.

This thread is to be a catch-all on what you think should be in a possible Move Tutor for US/UM. What moves would you like to see be tutorable in these games, and for which Pokemon?

I'm hoping that they'll bring back the same list as OrAs and add new moves to it like Accelerock (signature moves sometimes lose their status in the following game that they're introduced).

Years
  • Elemental Punches. Terrain. yep.

The punches are pretty much a given since they appear in every Move Tutor so far.

Loving your idea of the Terrains, since they are suffering from limited distribution at the moment. If I recall, Psychic Terrain is only learned by two 5th Gen Psychic-type lines (Elgyem and Munna lines btw) that aren't even in the Alola Dex.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I really hate how we have to keep waiting for "enhanced Pokémon game versions" just to get access to proper Move Tutors.. I excused it for Generations 1 - 4 (mostly applicable to 3 and 4, since they really took off in Generation 3), but the "off again, on again" distribution is getting to be ridiculous.

Move Tutor/Relearner/movelist wishlist for Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon:

Anyway, I hope for all of the ones from Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire and Pokémon Sun/Moon. Also, adding all of the missing Move Tutor moves from past generations would be nice (like all of the ones in Pokémon Emerald), so competitive movesets aren't screwed over due to someone needing a cartridge/Pokémon migration from 10 years ago.

Also, despite not being a tutor move, I wish that ExtremeSpeed Linoone would become a non-event move already. I mean, it has like that one niche, give it that much so it can do something despite usually being outclassed otherwise!

And although not strictly a tutor move, Victini needs to learn V-Create by level-up already - they practically complement each other; this event-exclusive move crap is just dumb. Understandable (for all other moves except V-Create), but still dumb.

I kind of dislike the "Level 1 Pokémon can learn a Level 99 move via visiting the move relearner" mechanic since I feel that you should have to properly level up if you want to access the move in the first place (just like you usually have to level up if you want to access a given Pokémon species via evolution) and kind of want it removed, but I see why this mechanic would have its uses..

Years
  • I saw a post on Tumblr that wanted Lurantis to gain Superpower from a Move Tutor. That wouldn't be a bad idea considering it does learn stuff like Brick Break, and it'd definitely love having a move to abuse Contrary with.

Years
  • Should just be ORAS' move tutors + a few Gen VII exclusive moves.

OR/AS mainly carried over B2/W2's Move Tutor lineup but did add some different ones like Shock Wave and Water Pulse which were previously TM moves in the original Hoenn games. I'm mostly expecting the same moves carried over to US/UM but maybe have some 7th Gen moves included.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • They better put Defog in there. It may be a Gen IV-exclusive HM, but a lot of good things get it and it's a hassle to transfer a Pokemon all the way to the current generation for some.

Years
  • They better put Defog in there. It may be a Gen IV-exclusive HM, but a lot of good things get it and it's a hassle to transfer a Pokemon all the way to the current generation for some.

I do admit that it is a hassle like you said, because not everyone likes the pain of transferring just for a competitive moveset, and then again these days you are being forced to use Pokemon that were caught within the game, which rids you of what could have been a good moveset.

Hopefully Game Freak picked up on competitive trends with this Move Tutor, but knowing me they'll ignore it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    I would love to see Air Slash be a Move Tutor move, mainly because Zapdos, Drifblim, Toucannon, Honchkrow, Thundurus, and Landorus-I could definitely do with a great special Flying Type attack.

Liquidation would be fantastic, mainly to serve as another feasible option for Volcanion if anyone wants to go physical, since it can also utilise Superpower, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Flare Blitz. Other Pok?mon that can benefit from Liquidation would be Cloyster, Feraligatr, Swampert, Kyogre, and especially Barbaracle.

Icicle Crash would be wonderful for Black-Kyurem and Silvally, but I can see Weavile, Beartic, Glalie, Abomasnow, Avalugg, and Mamoswine benefitting from it, since it would save some players the hassle of breeding a good Ice move like that for some of these users.

First Impression could be distributed to a wider range of Bug Types; with Mega Beedrill, Mega Pinsir, Heracross, and Durant appreciating a powerful form of priority, but I can envision a handful of Dark, Fighting, and Normal Types able to utilise that move.

Soft-Boiled is a must for the Cleffa line for those not fond of requiring FR/LG to give Clefable a reliable source of recovery. Comfey would also love to use this move.

I would also love to see moves from even older generations to make their comeback as tutor moves, like Zap Cannon, Curse, Body Slam, Counter, and Fissure, just go give No Guard users a viable niche against the underhanded AI in most battle facilities.

Reactions: faf
    Years
  • You do have some good opinions CF1994, but I know Beartic already gets Icicle Crash as a level-up move, and Soft-Boiled is just something I can't envision on Comfey since it already has Synthesis for a reliable recovery.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You do have some good opinions CF1994, but I know Beartic already gets Icicle Crash as a level-up move, and Soft-Boiled is just something I can't envision on Comfey since it already has Synthesis for a reliable recovery.

Synthesis isn't too reliable because of its low PP and the fact that its recovery is hindered by rain and sandstorm.

Years
  • Synthesis isn't too reliable because of its low PP and the fact that its recovery is hindered by rain and sandstorm.

You do have a point since it feels like so many good moves are hindered by a terrible PP count. Also, a move is not usually good when it has to entirely be dependent on certain weather conditions, so I can see what that poster was meaning.

Years
  • Elemental punches would be great, and I'd like to see some of the newer gen 7 moves get a tutor. There's honestly a lot of variation they could do in this specific part of the game, and there's really no 'wrong' answer. However, I do hope they allow for some moves with competitive viability. I think it's the least they could do, and move tutor is one of the easiest features of the game in which to please the competitive community. I'm pretty sure they know that, too.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm just hoping Stealth Rock doesn't become a Move Tutor this time considering Game Freak still hasn't nerfed it yet for single battles (would definitely help Fire, Ice, and Bug types' usage).

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I am not too concerned with move tutors. Never a big deal for me. Won't be sad if there is none in USUM.

Years
  • I kinda hope HM moves will be "learnable" again... Having Surf in-game was really handy-dandy

While Surf, Waterfall and Fly were carried over to be TMs, the other two well-known HMs, Strength and Cut instead became signature moves of certain Pokemon. Strength is now learned only by Machamp while Cut is exclusive to Kartana.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I want --

--Elemental fang

--Elemental punch

--Sky attack (Decidueye)

--Mirror attack (Decidueye)

--Superpower (Incineroar)

--Dragon Pulse

--Night slash

--Phantom force

In the new USUM move tutor.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    All I really want is the elemental punches so my precious Swampert can learn Ice Punch. Don't really care about anything else. :P

Back