• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves Pokémon should or shouldn't have

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
Years
  • I'm sure you all have seen some Pokemon with a move that just seems out of place or it looks like it should have a move, but it doesn't.

For me, it's mainly Zubat and its ability to learn Mean Look. It doesn't have eyes so that perplexed me to no end.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Flareon should've gotten Flare Blitz to use its 130 Attack to good effect, but that's unlikely. Zangoose should've also gotten Cut because it has claws to cut with.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Zangoose should've also gotten Cut because it has claws to cut with.

Had the most confused face when I was trying to teach Cut to my Zangoose in Ruby haha... ''But he has claws!'' :P
    Can't think of any right now though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Umbreon should have gotten some Poison-type moves for it's level-up set. It supposedly sprays poison when threatened, so? And I second Flareon and Flare Blitz. Come on, Game Freak. Quit making that poor fuzzy creature worse and worse. :(

Years
  • There's a few that I find really confusing.

Sigilyph learning Ice Beam, I don't get why it learns it...

The Vanillite line learning Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon, since when can an ice-cream use a Steel-type attack?

I think Hydreigon should have gotten Dark Pulse as a level-up move, breeding can be very fiddly due to the high level it evolves at.

Another confusing one, I don't get the reason why Manectric learns Flamethrower.

But one of the most confusing of all is Skuntank learning Flamethrower, since when can skunks use fire?

I'm actually surprised that Yamask and Cofagrigus can learn Dream Eater but can't learn any sleep-inducing move.

And I totally agree on Zangoose being unable to Cut, it has claws for goodness sake!

Budew, Roselia and Roserade lack claws (in Budew's case, arms altogether) but they can still use Cut.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Doduo learning Fly with lack of wings.

@Vanillite Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon are light based attacks even if they are steel typed. Ice can reflect light. Seems appropriate to me.

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
    Years
  • I never knew Zangoose couldn't learn Cut! :O

Aggron can learn Surf... It's one of the heaviest Pokemon and is made out of Steel and Rock, but it can Surf.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Arceus and Mew should learn Sketch lol.

I'd like to see Dialga learn Surf or Hydro Pump even though it's not a steel type or Mewtwo being able to learn Psycho Boost to name a few examples. Aggron learning Gyro Ball would also be pretty sweet too.

Oh and Escavalier should learn Gyro Ball and Curse btw.

Last edited:

mineox100

Hey.
    Years
  • The Oddish line can learn cut... without claws.
    Diglett and Dugtrio can learn cut too... without arms.
    Many more like:
    Sunkern
    Aipom
    Umbreon
    Espeon
    Budew
    Ambipom

Wow, cut is messed up...

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • Even though Double Kick sounds like a weak attack but I would like for Croagunk and Toxicroak to learn Double Kick, especially if they have their hidden ability, because one kick or the other may trigger Poison Touch, giving Double Kick a good chance in poisoning the enemy, unless the enemy is Poison or Steel.

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
    Years
  • Doduo learning Fly with lack of wings.

Spoiler:

Fly is messed up so a lot of Pokemon know it. So is Surf.
    Spoiler:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'd like to know why Persian CAN'T learn the elemental fang attacks. It would give it a varied set of physical based attacks. I'm also wondering why it doesn't get Crunch.

For that matter, why does Umbreon get Bite but not Crunch?

And also Surfing Tauros. Like Aggron, that guy's just too heavy and doesn't strike me as a skilled swimmer.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I'd like to know why Persian CAN'T learn the elemental fang attacks. It would give it a varied set of physical based attacks. I'm also wondering why it doesn't get Crunch.

For that matter, why does Umbreon get Bite but not Crunch?

And also Surfing Tauros. Like Aggron, that guy's just too heavy and doesn't strike me as a skilled swimmer.

Cows and Bulls can swim quite well. I know from experience >.>;;

As for Aggron, ships can float and sail across water, why not?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The Oddish line can learn cut... without claws.
    Diglett and Dugtrio can learn cut too... without arms.
    Many more like:
    Sunkern
    Aipom
    Umbreon
    Espeon
    Budew
    Ambipom

Wow, cut is messed up...

Not all Pokemon that learn Cut have to have visible claws. Oddish can use Cut with the leaves on its head. Same applies for most other Grass Pokemon. Since Diglett and Dugtrio can learn Scratch and Fury Swipes, so why not give them Cut? It's also said that they have feet, as mentioned in Mystery Dungeon.

Bottom line is, most Grass Pokemon get Cut because their leaves or other appendages could have sharp edges. And most Pokemon who can learn Scratch or Fury Swipes also get Cut.

Anyway, back on topic: I think that Blastoise and Torterra should've been given Shell Smash. I mean, they're turtle-based Pokemon with shells to smash with. Turtle-based Pokemon like Torkoal and Tirtouga can learn Shell Smash, so why not give the move to the 2 turtle-based starters? It could improve their sweeping chances competitively.

Also, I think Snorlax needs Slack Off. It's the kind of Pokemon that doesn't do much apart from eating, sleeping and the occasional battle.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I've always Butterfree should have been able to learn fly because you'd see it carrying Pokémon and Ash even in the anime, so that was only logical to me haha. I guess it makes sense that it doesnt get it but still.

Back