• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I would like opinions on this team. This is Kalos VGC Friendly

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Poison Jab

Gardevoir (F) @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Protect

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Flare Blitz
    - Rock Slide
    - Dragon Dance

Gengar (F) @ Gengarite
    Ability: Levitate
    Timid Nature
    - Hex
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Protect

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect

Amoonguss @ Mental Herb
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Rage Powder
    - Giga Drain
    - Spore
    - Protect
    The only issue I have here is Gengar. Giving it two Ghost moves is asking for trouble against Pursuit users and Normal Pokemon (who are resistant or immune to Ghost):
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gengarite

The only Pokemon that resists Water on this team is Amoonguss, so I wouldn't recommend Surf for Greninja. Hydro Pump is the better option if you don't want to hit your partner.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • The only issue I have here is Gengar. Giving it two Ghost moves is asking for trouble against Pursuit users and Normal Pokemon (who are resistant or immune to Ghost):
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Gengarite

The only Pokemon that resists Water on this team is Amoonguss, so I wouldn't recommend Surf for Greninja. Hydro Pump is the better option if you don't want to hit your partner.

Is a Hex Gengar Doable?

Like with

Hex
    Will-O-Wisp
    Focus Blast/Sludge Bomb
    Protect

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • I just wonder how useful Mega-Gar is in doubles. You lose your ground immunity, take away your MegaEvo (especially considering you're running X-Zard) slot and trapping with Shadow Tag is arguably less-effective in VGC doubles because you have two opposing pokemon to contend with.

Togekiss also almost completely walls your team, and outside an Ice Beam from Greninja you can't do anything to it.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • I just wonder how useful Mega-Gar is in doubles. You lose your ground immunity, take away your MegaEvo (especially considering you're running X-Zard) slot and trapping with Shadow Tag is arguably less-effective in VGC doubles because you have two opposing pokemon to contend with.

Togekiss also almost completely walls your team, and outside an Ice Beam from Greninja you can't do anything to it.

Nevermind I discovered that almost every other team walls my team

Last edited:

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • True Togekiss could wall my team. In showdown I havent run into it with this team. Though I have only had like 10 battles and 4 were with the same person. I run 2 Mega for the simple fact of which boost I need more, Ie Physical boost or a Special Boost. If I run a Rage Amoongus with DD X-Zard the intention for that would be to cream Kiss enough for a Greninja to beat with Ice beam on next or same turn depending if Amoon is KOed first. However I know that Heavily relying on X-Zard for that is not a good thing which is why I wonder about Hex Gengar.

With that strategy, you're essentially sacking two pokemon and possibly leaving a third damaged to deal with simply one threat. Not to mention you'll be facing Togekiss + whatever else. I just don't see the efficiency of Mega-Gar. If you want a SpA threat, then make Gardevoir your Mega and use a sub-disable set on Gar to at least hinder Togekiss. In my opinion though, you'll need to do some chopping and changing to make this team work like you want it to.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • With that strategy, you're essentially sacking two pokemon and possibly leaving a third damaged to deal with simply one threat. Not to mention you'll be facing Togekiss + whatever else. I just don't see the efficiency of Mega-Gar. If you want a SpA threat, then make Gardevoir your Mega and use a sub-disable set on Gar to at least hinder Togekiss. In my opinion though, you'll need to do some chopping and changing to make this team work like you want it to.

Im scrapping them all. So thats not a problem, They all get walled by Mega-Khan, TalonFlame, and almost everyone else who knows what the hell they are doing

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I am Building a Pokebank team , i want to use a poke of each gen

I have already choosen Latias and Scizor (mega evo) , team is hyper offensive any sugestions?

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • -_- My problem is finding a start, a core and a team goal, I Finally got a start, was figuring out a core and then it goes to crap. Took me like 4 days to get that team

You don't necessarily have to ditch your core. Just pick the one or two that you want to base the team around, then revamp it. To me, it looks like you decided to play the "which one is the mega?" game - which I even considered at one point - but in the long run you've seen something like that will doubtful work.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Which of these Garchomps would be better?

I have one with perfect Attack and Speed IVs, an Adamant nature, and Sand Veil. The other one (that's Gible right now) has perfect Attack, Defense, and Sp.Defense IVs, a Jolly nature, and Rough Skin. They both (will) have the same EV spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.defense, and similar movesets (the only difference might be Poison Jab vs Iron Head).

And then I got thinking, would I get an even better Garchomp if I bred the 2 together?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Which of these Garchomps would be better?

I have one with perfect Attack and Speed IVs, an Adamant nature, and Sand Veil. The other one (that's Gible right now) has perfect Attack, Defense, and Sp.Defense IVs, a Jolly nature, and Rough Skin. They both (will) have the same EV spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.defense, and similar movesets (the only difference might be Poison Jab vs Iron Head).

And then I got thinking, would I get an even better Garchomp if I bred the 2 together?

I do know to get max output from Garchomp needs HP,Atk,Sp Def and Spd Should be 31 with Jolly nature

You don't necessarily have to ditch your core. Just pick the one or two that you want to base the team around, then revamp it. To me, it looks like you decided to play the "which one is the mega?" game - which I even considered at one point - but in the long run you've seen something like that will doubtful work.

Thing is I didnt have a core, I predicted which poke may come out. Id really like to use Garchomp but it just seems that I cant make him work with anything even though I know its a good poke

Last edited:

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • You just need a plan of attack. For instance:

You say you would like to use Garchomp. Now personally, I really like the idea of a mixed Mega Garchomp. It has the potential to be an amazing wall breaker.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
    Naughty
    224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
    Sand Force

Draco Meteor
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    Iron Head

Now, for this set to be most effective, you want to play it under sand. That means you'll want one or both of Hippowdon / Tyranitar. Assuming you're still playing doubles, this makes it arguably easier to keep sandstorm up while maintaining a physical presence for Garchomp.

Now, let's say we want to use Tyranitar. We can't use MegaTar, so that leaves us with a few other options. I'm going to propose we use Hippowdon as our SR user, but we'll come to that later.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
    Sassy
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Sandstream

Crunch / Earthquake
    Pursuit
    Ice Beam
    Rock Slide

Can act as a hard-hitting special sponge, as well as the necessary sandstream starter. Also halts Talonflame completely cold, and can outplay Togekiss.Next, we want something that can potentially help remove some of Garchomp's threats, like Magnezone. It can trap and remove opposing steels such as Skarm / Klefki / Scizor, while also resisting fairies such as Togekiss who make Garchomp's life difficult. Perhaps a Specs set w/ Thunderbolt / HP Fire / Flash Cannon / Volt Switch; or Life Orb with Magnet Rise so you're not forcing Chomp etc. to forgo using EQ when you're on the field.

Then Hippowdon (if you feel another Sandstream user is necessary - which I do, especially because when playing doubles your opponent will know you have to use Chomp + T-Tar if it's your only user) can provide the physical bulk + SR support, as well as your own T-Tar check.

The last two slots I'll leave to you; try to cover common threats or potential weaknesses (as such, this team struggles with Greninja - or any pokemon with a genuinely powerful Surf. Your own bulky water such as Slowbro (regenerator negates sandstream damage) or Jellicent may therefore be an idea, or a water absorber. Thinking outside the box - a Water Absorb Mantine can provide Tailwind support and is immune to EQ thanks to its secondary flying typing. A Rest (Aqua Ring) / Tailwind / Scald / Helping Hand set -or something similar- perhaps?)

Anyway you get the idea. This is all very basic and I didn't put much forward thinking into it, but if you sit down with an idea and a plan, alongside an understanding of common threats, eventually with tweaking you should be able to find a team that can handle MOST situations. (You'll never get a perfect team, obviously)

Hopefully I've at least helped somewhat. Good luck!

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Uhm, just let me put a note here that Togekiss won't be seen in VGC doubles. It's one of those non-Kalos Pokemon.

The majority of fairy types that exist probably won't be seen in doubles. The ones I can thick of that will be floating around are Mawile, Azumarill, Gardevoir, Whimsicott??, Aromatisse??, and Klefki. Mawile and Klefki will likely be the most common fairies you'll see and both are immune to poison attacks so you should carry a plan B if you're using dragons.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • Uhm, just let me put a note here that Togekiss won't be seen in VGC doubles. It's one of those non-Kalos Pokemon.

The majority of fairy types that exist probably won't be seen in doubles. The ones I can thick of that will be floating around are Mawile, Azumarill, Gardevoir, Whimsicott??, Aromatisse??, and Klefki. Mawile and Klefki will likely be the most common fairies you'll see and both are immune to poison attacks so you should carry a plan B if you're using dragons.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Although because I live in Australia I tend to ignore most info regarding VGC simply because there's no way for me to participate.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Kalos Dex also includes Pokemon from past regions, like the Kanto starters, Gardevoir, Azumarill, etc.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Kalos Dex also includes Pokemon from past regions, like the Kanto starters, Gardevoir, Azumarill, etc.

In VGC. Any pokes found in the Friend Safari will can be used as well

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • Nope, did some checking. It's pokemon specifically found in the Central, Coastal, and Mountain Kalos Pokedex. Togepi is not part of any of those, so it won't be allowed.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Basically what Tortured_Soul said. Togepi and like 20 other pokemon that are found in the Safari aren't actually in the Kalos dex so they can't be used in VGC.

Adrian, you're half right. Safari pokemon that ARE in the 'dex are allowed. The rest of them aren't.

Edit: Excellent. My typo is now permanent and there for everyone to see and laugh at. lol

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • You just need a plan of attack. For instance:

You say you would like to use Garchomp. Now personally, I really like the idea of a mixed Mega Garchomp. It has the potential to be an amazing wall breaker.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
    Naughty
    224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
    Sand Force

Draco Meteor
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast
    Iron Head

Now, for this set to be most effective, you want to play it under sand. That means you'll want one or both of Hippowdon / Tyranitar. Assuming you're still playing doubles, this makes it arguably easier to keep sandstorm up while maintaining a physical presence for Garchomp.

Now, let's say we want to use Tyranitar. We can't use MegaTar, so that leaves us with a few other options. I'm going to propose we use Hippowdon as our SR user, but we'll come to that later.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
    Sassy
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Sandstream

Crunch / Earthquake
    Pursuit
    Ice Beam
    Rock Slide

Can act as a hard-hitting special sponge, as well as the necessary sandstream starter. Also halts Talonflame completely cold, and can outplay Togekiss.Next, we want something that can potentially help remove some of Garchomp's threats, like Magnezone. It can trap and remove opposing steels such as Skarm / Klefki / Scizor, while also resisting fairies such as Togekiss who make Garchomp's life difficult. Perhaps a Specs set w/ Thunderbolt / HP Fire / Flash Cannon / Volt Switch; or Life Orb with Magnet Rise so you're not forcing Chomp etc. to forgo using EQ when you're on the field.

Then Hippowdon (if you feel another Sandstream user is necessary - which I do, especially because when playing doubles your opponent will know you have to use Chomp + T-Tar if it's your only user) can provide the physical bulk + SR support, as well as your own T-Tar check.

The last two slots I'll leave to you; try to cover common threats or potential weaknesses (as such, this team struggles with Greninja - or any pokemon with a genuinely powerful Surf. Your own bulky water such as Slowbro (regenerator negates sandstream damage) or Jellicent may therefore be an idea, or a water absorber. Thinking outside the box - a Water Absorb Mantine can provide Tailwind support and is immune to EQ thanks to its secondary flying typing. A Rest (Aqua Ring) / Tailwind / Scald / Helping Hand set -or something similar- perhaps?)

Anyway you get the idea. This is all very basic and I didn't put much forward thinking into it, but if you sit down with an idea and a plan, alongside an understanding of common threats, eventually with tweaking you should be able to find a team that can handle MOST situations. (You'll never get a perfect team, obviously)

Hopefully I've at least helped somewhat. Good luck!

I dont get how you are able to come up with that soo fast and it takes me 4 days to come up with a half @$$ team -_-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back