• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Could someone please suggest me a good defensive set for Gyarados? I know that it's not meant to be used that way, but would still like to give it a shot. :]

There is a RestTalk set:

-Gyarados w/Leftovers or Gyaradosite
    Nature: Impish/Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Waterfall, Rest, Sleep Talk, Dragon Dance

That's all I can think of for a more defensive Gyarados.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well I guess he could go 252 spd, ONLY if he has dragon dance. DD works really well on scruffy
    EDIT: Oh with a jolly nature too.

While Scrafty can boost its Speed with Dragon Dance, there's virtually no time to set up the move in VGC formats due to the fast pace there. As a result, Scrafty is limited to bulky roles in that format.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There is a RestTalk set:

-Gyarados w/Leftovers or Gyaradosite
    Nature: Impish/Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Waterfall, Rest, Sleep Talk, Dragon Dance

That's all I can think of for a more defensive Gyarados.

I've used that one before; it's great, but doesn't really seem to do a good job at stalling. Is there an alternative? If not, then it's perfectly fine; thanks for your help, anyway! n_n;;

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I've used that one before; it's great, but doesn't really seem to do a good job at stalling. Is there an alternative? If not, then it's perfectly fine; thanks for your help, anyway! n_n;;

Gyarados is indeed viable defensively. Regular Gyarados can pull off RestTalk because of Intimidate, but the Mega version has its merits as well, due to the increased bulk, Mold Breaker ignoring abilities like Storm Drain, as well as the immunity to Trick and the secondary effect of Knock Off (this is basically the same as Zekrom's, but it has more options than Dragon Dance:
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Waterfall
    -Dragon Dance/Dragon Tail/Roar
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Gyaradosite

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    I have a Dilemma. I have my five pokes set in stone I have to make some EV adjustments. However Im stuck on the sixth one. I have the Standard Scarfed Mence and Rotom-W. My problem is Rotom feels awkward when playing it. So far couple in game and couple wifi. If I go with Mence I have a HUGE weakness against fairies and big weakness to ice types. What would be the suggestion in this matter?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I have a Dilemma. I have my five pokes set in stone I have to make some EV adjustments. However Im stuck on the sixth one. I have the Standard Scarfed Mence and Rotom-W. My problem is Rotom feels awkward when playing it. So far couple in game and couple wifi. If I go with Mence I have a HUGE weakness against fairies and big weakness to ice types. What would be the suggestion in this matter?

I'm not sure what you mean by your Rotom-W feeling awkward. As for Salamence, a Fire or Steel type can more or less help cover its weaknesses. What's the rest of your team?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    I do have a talonflame. I think I am going go with Ferrothorn. Hope that'll solve my problem. I dont mean to be coy but I do have a regional tomorrow some know my five pieces all ready

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2018
    The thing with the Super Rod...

Hello, I have a question.

Well, everytime I use the Super Rod in Emerald while surfing, I have to press A, when it says "A Pokémon is on the hook". But then there is no Pokémon, that appears, instead of it the whole waiting for a "Pokémon on the hook" is repeating. Is this a bug, or do I have to press A around the five times, until a Pokémon appears?

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Hello, I have a question.

Well, everytime I use the Super Rod in Emerald while surfing, I have to press A, when it says "A Pokémon is on the hook". But then there is no Pokémon, that appears, instead of it the whole waiting for a "Pokémon on the hook" is repeating. Is this a bug, or do I have to press A around the five times, until a Pokémon appears?

You have to keep on pressing A actually might only need it once or three times, never know :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2014
    Magnezone or Metagross??

I have a Light Metal Beldum and Analitic Magnemite. I have been told to aim for Clear Body.

Anyways, I know Magnezone has resistance to 12 types, but Beldum has better stats and less weakness from types.

Who's better in the end for competitive?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I have a Light Metal Beldum and Analitic Magnemite. I have been told to aim for Clear Body.

Anyways, I know Magnezone has resistance to 12 types, but Beldum has better stats and less weakness from types.

Who's better in the end for competitive?
    Magnezone. Metagross has fallen out of favor in OU because it gained weaknesses to Dark and Ghost. Magnezone lost its resistances to Dark and Ghost, making it have 10 resistances. Still good, though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    Latios moveset? Timid nature.

I have a Latios with timid nature. I wanted to do psyshock, draco meteor, roost and hidden power fire, but the Latios is perfect IV's and learns only HP dark. What can I do?

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    I have a Latios with timid nature. I wanted to do psyshock, draco meteor, roost and hidden power fire, but the Latios is perfect IV's and learns only HP dark. What can I do?
    try my set:

Draco Meteor
    Psyshock
    Trick
    Surf

it works wonders so far. and let it hold a choice specs. His Draco Meteor will hit like a nuke! And Trick is to cripple the opponent, by tricking them your choice specs, they get locked into only one move, and you get free control of your moves again.

EDIT: 500th post! Awesome! xD

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    try my set:

Draco Meteor
    Psyshock
    Trick
    Surf
    The problem with that is Trick is a Black2/White2 move tutor move for Lati@s, and her's is on X/Y, so she can't teach it that.

Alternative moves to consider in Hidden Power Fire's place are Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. Thunderbolt is good for hitting bulky water types hard (and lots of water types carry an ice attack), while Ice Beam has fairly good all-around coverage and lets you snipe Garchomp, Dragonite, and Salamence (among other things) without having to cut your Sp.Attack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For Machamp, I think it'd be a good idea to switch Vital Throw with either Fire Blast or Rock Slide. You already have a fighting-type attack in Cross Chop, so you don't really need another. XD;; Also, for Espeon, you should try replacing Hyper Beam with Bite or Growth.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back