• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So I guess I cant put it into Daycare and let them level to lvl 100? I want to do that but I dont want it to end up too weak.

Also, can every stats get 255 EVs?

Or should I kill only those that give certain EVs, and if yes, which one should I focus on when it's about Beldum?
    Since you're playing on Gen 4, it'd be best to get all the EVs first, then level it to 100 (Though its not a bad idea to get it some levels first so it can defeat the wild pokes on its own and make things go a little faster). The maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon can have is 510, and no more than 255 can go into one stat. So you can't have max (255) EVs in all stats. So kill the Pokemon that give out EVs for the stats you want to boost; which stats and by how much depends on what set you plan to use.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What would you say is the most effective tank you can come up with? One that is really annoying to be fighting against because it would be difficult to get rid of.

Years
  • Since you're playing on Gen 4, it'd be best to get all the EVs first, then level it to 100 (Though its not a bad idea to get it some levels first so it can defeat the wild pokes on its own and make things go a little faster). The maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon can have is 510, and no more than 255 can go into one stat. So you can't have max (255) EVs in all stats. So kill the Pokemon that give out EVs for the stats you want to boost; which stats and by how much depends on what set you plan to use.

My Beldum is lvl 52 but freshly caught, does that mean he has no EVs right now?

If yes, should I simply keep track of what I kill when I train, would that be an accurate way of tracking EVs?

And lastly, what would be a good EVs distribution for him?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    My Beldum is lvl 52 but freshly caught, does that mean he has no EVs right now?

If yes, should I simply keep track of what I kill when I train, would that be an accurate way of tracking EVs?

And lastly, what would be a good EVs distribution for him?
    Yeah, if it was caught at level 52, then it should have no EVs. Which is good for you, because then you can eliminate the switching step of the training.

So yeah, keep track of the EVs you gain while training. How you do so is up to you; some methods work better than others for different people. How I personally do it is divide the number of EVs I want by the number of EVs the Pokemon I'll be training against gives, which then gives me the number of that Pokemon I have to kill in order to get the amount of EVs I want. Then I just keep track of how many I've beaten.

As for EV spreads, like I said before, it depends on what set exactly you want it to run. Here are some examples of sets for DPPt Metagross:
    https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/metagross

If you plan to bring it up to Gen 6, use this:

-Metagross w/Assault Vest
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch

Years
  • Yeah, if it was caught at level 52, then it should have no EVs. Which is good for you, because then you can eliminate the switching step of the training.

So yeah, keep track of the EVs you gain while training. How you do so is up to you; some methods work better than others for different people. How I personally do it is divide the number of EVs I want by the number of EVs the Pokemon I'll be training against gives, which then gives me the number of that Pokemon I have to kill in order to get the amount of EVs I want. Then I just keep track of how many I've beaten.

As for EV spreads, like I said before, it depends on what set exactly you want it to run. Here are some examples of sets for DPPt Metagross:
    https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/metagross

If you plan to bring it up to Gen 6, use this:

-Metagross w/Assault Vest
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch

So, 151 Kricketunes (+2 Attack), 252 Bidoofs (+1 HP) and 4 whatever gives Sp.Def. WOuld this be a good plan?

Also, does lvl 2 Bidoof give same amount of EVs as a lvl 52 does? Or simply, can I just train at the place with lvl 3 Bidoofs? I would still be getting 1 EF for HP, right?.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So, 151 Kricketunes (+2 Attack), 252 Bidoofs (+1 HP) and 4 whatever gives Sp.Def. WOuld this be a good plan?

Also, does lvl 2 Bidoof give same amount of EVs as a lvl 52 does? Or simply, can I just train at the place with lvl 3 Bidoofs? I would still be getting 1 EF for HP, right?.
    The Pokemon's level does not effect the amount of EVs it gives out. A level 100 Bidoof will give you 1 HP EV. So will a level 2 Bidoof.

Also, if you can a Power item (like the Power Weight or Power Bracer) that'll speed up the process. So instead of 252 Bidoofs, you'll only have to kill 52 with a Power Weight equipped.

Years
  • The Pokemon's level does not effect the amount of EVs it gives out. A level 100 Bidoof will give you 1 HP EV. So will a level 2 Bidoof.

Also, if you can a Power item (like the Power Weight or Power Bracer) that'll speed up the process. So instead of 252 Bidoofs, you'll only have to kill 52 with a Power Weight equipped.

I dont have it, but I assume Macho brace would be useful, right? It would half the amounf of Bidoofs to 151 and the Kricketunes to 76, right? It wouldn't affect any other stats I believe.

Also thanks for the moveset, I like it, since Beldum is level 52 already I will just give it a rare candy, evolve to Metang, use heart scales to relearn the moveset I want, do that EV training, it will probably get a few levels, and then off to Daycare with lvl 55-ish Metagross :D

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I dont have it, but I assume Macho brace would be useful, right? It would half the amounf of Bidoofs to 151 and the Kricketunes to 76, right? It wouldn't affect any other stats I believe.

Also thanks for the moveset, I like it, since Beldum is level 52 already I will just give it a rare candy, evolve to Metang, use heart scales to relearn the moveset I want, do that EV training, it will probably get a few levels, and then off to Daycare with lvl 55-ish Metagross :D
    Yeah, if getting a Power item isn't feasible, Macho Brace will still be better than nothing. Macho Brace simply doubles the EVs you get from a battle, so it'll cut the time required roughly in half.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I had a stupid idea that will probably sound completely idiotic, but I just wanted to know what you think.

What if you gave a Pokémon (let's say, Steelix) the lowest Speed stat possible with 0 Speed IV, 0 Speed EVs and a Nature that decreases Speed growth, then gave it Gyro Ball? I know you can't just do all this for one move, but if you did then you have room for a Nature that helps another stat, and plenty of EVs that aren't used at all in Speed to make it an excellent defender.

What do you think? And has this tactic ever been used, or is it stupid?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I had a stupid idea that will probably sound completely idiotic, but I just wanted to know what you think.

What if you gave a Pokémon (let's say, Steelix) the lowest Speed stat possible with 0 Speed IV, 0 Speed EVs and a Nature that decreases Speed growth, then gave it Gyro Ball? I know you can't just do all this for one move, but if you did then you have room for a Nature that helps another stat, and plenty of EVs that aren't used at all in Speed to make it an excellent defender.

What do you think? And has this tactic ever been used, or is it stupid?

Yes. This is standard on Pokemon who use Gyro Ball for example, Bronzong and Steelix. They both use either Relaxed or Sassy 0 speed ivs and 0 speed evs and pour evs into hp and defenses.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Yes. This is standard on Pokemon who use Gyro Ball for example, Bronzong and Steelix. They both use either Relaxed or Sassy 0 speed ivs and 0 speed evs and pour evs into hp and defenses.
    What build would typically be used for a Steelix that is centered around being as slow as possible? Would you try to take full potential of its Defense, or try to give it a high Special Defense so it's not left with a weakness?

lemonhihi

S1lv3rRay
    Years
  • A jolly tyranitar with max speed ev Assume its speed is 300.

Can I know how much its speed is increased after a Dragon Dance compare to holding a Choice Scarf? thanks

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • A jolly tyranitar with max speed ev Assume its speed is 300.

Can I know how much its speed is increased after a Dragon Dance compare to holding a Choice Scarf? thanks

Jolly Tyranitar hits 243 Speed at level 100. It can never hit above 300 unless it's been given Choice Scarf or used Dragon Dance.

Anyway, Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf give Tyranitar the same Speed boost of 1.5x. In that case, either boost will make Tyranitar hit 364 Speed. Even then, Mega Tyranitar is better for Dragon Dancing purposes because it outspeeds Greninja after a Dragon Dance, which regular Tyranitar can't do. It also has more than enough bulk to tank priority while it sweeps.

Choice Scarf Tyranitar, however, is still viable if you want a speedy Tyranitar right off the bat, though it can't outspeed Greninja.

lemonhihi

S1lv3rRay
    Years
  • Jolly Tyranitar hits 243 Speed at level 100. It can never hit above 300 unless it's been given Choice Scarf or used Dragon Dance.

Anyway, Dragon Dance and Choice Scarf give Tyranitar the same Speed boost of 1.5x. In that case, either boost will make Tyranitar hit 364 Speed. Even then, Mega Tyranitar is better for Dragon Dancing purposes because it outspeeds Greninja after a Dragon Dance, which regular Tyranitar can't do. It also has more than enough bulk to tank priority while it sweeps.

Choice Scarf Tyranitar, however, is still viable if you want a speedy Tyranitar right off the bat, though it can't outspeed Greninja.

Yo! thanks for the clarification! Now I can finally give my tyranitar hold a megastone and give it a DD!
    Tired of revenge killer tyranitar with limited attack pool..

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2014
    Granbull Help.

Hi guys

I'm new to competitive pokemon battling and training so I need some help.

I decided I want to breed a competitive Granbull, having never bred pokemon before.

I have a 5 IV Granbull with IV's 31/31/31/x/31/31 and an Adament nature.

I need help deciding what stats to EV train.

Am I right in thinking because Granbull has primarily physical based moves I won't need an IV in Sp. Attack? Which would also mean I won't need to EV train Sp. Attack?

I was thinking of max EV traning HP and Speed, would this be sensible? or would I need to EV train all the different stats to make a balanced pokemon?

Looking at Granbulls base stats in the attachment his lowest stat is speed so that obviously needs to be Ev'd.
    He has pretty high attack so I assume I don't need to Ev train that.
    I assume I only need to max Ev train Speed and HP and put the remaining Ev's in Attack or Defence?

Like I said, I'm new to competitive training so any help with this question would be great.

Thanks.

Years
  • max hp max def, checks haxorus in uu. nice cleric on non-stall (bliss obv better on stall). nice option over aromatisse in general, you choose between checking haxorus better and beating sableye.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2014
    max hp max def, checks haxorus in uu. nice cleric on non-stall (bliss obv better on stall). nice option over aromatisse in general, you choose between checking haxorus better and beating sableye.

Cheers for the suggestions.

What do you mean by 'nice cleric on non-stall'? I don't understand why I would have to beat Sableye or Haxous? Are those the best pokemon in UU?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Cheers for the suggestions.

What do you mean by 'nice cleric on non-stall'? I don't understand why I would have to beat Sableye or Haxous? Are those the best pokemon in UU?

Granbull is a good cleric outside of stall teams. A cleric is a Pokemon that knows Aromatherapy or Heal Bell to cure the team of status conditions.

Haxorus is a threat in UU and Sableye is generally annoying if you're unprepared for it.

Here's the regular Granbull set:
    -Play Rough
    -Earthquake
    -Thunder Wave
    -Heal Bell/Fire Punch
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back