• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moving on to a new generation

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2016
    I have been playing Pokemon on and off for a long time now. But I have never moved past the second generation. I don't know if it's my nostalgia, stubbornness or whatever that is keeping me from moving on.

So I have played and exhausted Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C and I think it's time for me to move onto Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

What's bugging me about the move over is that I know absolutely nothing about this generation of Pokemon. I can imagine myself trying to catch a multitude of Pokemon because I simply think they look 'cool' instead of how good they are.

Did anyone else found themselves hanging onto the older games? My childhood consisted of the earlier games and I already grown up by the time the third generation was released.

Do you reckon I should watch the corresponding anime so I get a good idea what the Pokemon in this region are about?

Anyone else been in my position?

Regards :)

Rather Zakki

Artist and Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    I was very very reluctant to move from Gen IV to Gen V. That's mostly because I thought Gen IV was the most complete for everything. It was the first time we had an actually competitive community that didn't have to have the players always be in a club together or go to event, you could actually have an online ladder. Also it was the first time to have the physical/special split, gave evolutions to many things that needed it, many of the pokemon had worth to them (minus Luminion) and so on. I agree with a reluctant to go to a new generation.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I have never had this probably. In fact I eagerly anticipate every new generation along with every new game within generations i.e. BW2 and the possibility of RS remakes. Just because the games were apart of my childhood doesn't really mean anything for me, I'd rather have something new rather then the same old stuff that gets stale for me after awhile. I'm not the type of person to hold on to something because it was first and was the one that paved the road for everything, it has it's good qualities and bad qualities as all games have. At some point for me it is time to move forward.

If you don't know enough about the generation you can always do research on the pokemon and them games themselves. With sites like Bulbapedia and Serebii that give you background on both.

Pokemon in anime generation have their own personal characteristics and quirks to them, so I don't know if that would be an adequate judge as to what they are really like as opposed to it just showcasing the pokemon originality that they come across.

If it was me I'd instead of looking up info and watching the anime I'd just play the game and see how it is for my own eyes. Take in the new pokemon the story and see how it feels. Then take in the new experiences such as Contests and Battle Frontier and see how they appeal to you.

Tl;dr best way to figure out if you like it is try it first hand.

~V~

"Winds of a New Beginning"
    Years
  • I had a hard time moving on to Black/White from D/P/Pt/HG/SS. The fact that I had to completely start over and learn which Pokemon were good and couldn't use the Pokemon I knew as a crutch.

Eventually I moved on and I was happy I did. B/W made me feel like I was playing Red again.

At least R/S/E doesn't remove all the old Pokemon, so you'll be able to find ones that you used in R/B/Y/G/S/C. It makes the transition easier.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I love all the old Pokémon game, but when a new one comes out, I'm always very excited! I always go back and play the old ones anyway, so it's not like I'm just tossing the old ones away

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I go on, but I always follow this pattern.

Buy New game>Beat Game in a few days>Play Emerald>New game announced>Get pokemon on new game ready for transfer>Buy newest game>Etc

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    When it comes to new generations, personally I just jump right in. The new Pokemon and region are unfamiliar, yes, but that's what makes it exciting! It's kind of like playing Pokemon for the first time all over again. I mean, if you're completely unfamiliar with the moves and types of all the new Pokemon, you may want to keep an online Pokedex handy. Really though learning it from experience is half the fun. And don't worry too much about distinguishing between "cool" and "good" Pokemon, either. You can get by just fine with almost any set of Pokemon on your team.

The nice thing about Pokemon is its consistency. The games change aesthetically and add on new features, and each game certainly has a unique feeling to it, but when it comes down to it it's all the same game, right up to Black and White. So it shouldn't feel unfamiliar for long!

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Same problem, I know nothing about most of the latest Pokemon, I don't even know a lot on the new Pokemon types that recently emerged like what's their weakness and such. But if I play, I always have my laptop on so I can Google for more Pokemon info if I need to. My Laptop is my grand Pokedex ;)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I like moving on to new generations, however it does take a while to get used to the fact that a new generation is on the way haha. So the time in between generations is good enough for me to get the mindset of "okay we're getting a new game and new Pokemon so don't freak out plz" haha. But I like each generation and they all have their pros and cons, so it's not hard for me to move on to a new generation, except when it comes to transferring between generations. lol It's so final and it bugs me to do that. :(

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I was very very reluctant to move from Gen IV to Gen V. That's mostly because I thought Gen IV was the most complete for everything. It was the first time we had an actually competitive community that didn't have to have the players always be in a club together or go to event, you could actually have an online ladder. Also it was the first time to have the physical/special split, gave evolutions to many things that needed it, many of the pokemon had worth to them (minus Luminion) and so on. I agree with a reluctant to go to a new generation.

Same here. I bought white around the time it came out but I didn't start playing it for awhile. Then once I finally picked it up, I couldn't get into it. It's not like I'm scared to move from region to region, it's just the 5th gen didn't appeal to me like the rest. Not to mention if you trade pokemon over from recent gens or regions that you can't trade down so that turned me off. But I finally got into it. Even though IMO there isn't much to do in White, I'm hoping W2 can make up for it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023
    I tried playing R/B/Y in emulators, and I thought Bite was Dark(got used to Gen V), Gust was Flying, Karate Chop was Fighting, they were all Normal in Gen I, which made me confused and annoyed. When you do this, after playing Gen V, then switching to Gen I, skipping IV,III, and II, you'll get used to Gen V and get pwnt in Gen I, in my experience.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • I've been getting really annoyed lately by genwunners who complain that the new generations suck. I true pokemon fan likes ALL of the games no matter how bad it is. If they would like to complain, then they shouldn't do it on the intenet! And people are basically giving up on Pokemon and moving on to some very adult games like Call of Duty. I would never give up my passion for Pokemon.

Back