• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[MTG] FYIAD.cas.dek

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Yeah, so I haven't posted anything here in a billion and a half years.

Why? Because Standard sucks right now. Every top deck has a playset of Jaces in it, and I'm poor. There's no room for innovation, you either play a Jace deck or you lose to a Jace deck; that's how it is. So I don't want to brew anything innovative for Standard because I'm hating the overuse of Jace, and Swords make most of my brews completely useless.

That, combined with my new addiction for League of Legends, and my complete lack of funds or disposable income (I hate my city's complete lack of a job market :\) make up for why I haven't been very involved in Magic lately. However, I am VERY interested in the newest New Phyrexia spoilers (Sheoldred EDH? You bet! =D), and I can't wait until next week when spoiler season officially begins. :3

Until then, let's go over another casual build.

-16- Creatures

-4- Dragon Broodmother
    -4- Rakdos Pit Dragon
    -4- Chameleon Colossus
    -4- Taurean Mauler

-20- Other Spells

-4- Crucible of Fire
    -4- Sarkhan Vol
    -4- Rampant Growth
    -4- Explore
    -4- Lightning Bolt

-24- Lands

-4- Mutavault
    -4- Copperline Gorge
    -4- Raging Ravine
    -8- Mountain
    -4- Forest

The deck utilizes the most blatantly powerful Anthem variant around, Crucible of Fire, in a deck completely bloated for 4-drops. A whopping 16 four-drops make the deck, with standard 2-mana accelerants to play them turn three.

Sarkhan Vol is nutty in this deck. Seeing as its ultimate can kill himself, you can chain Sarkhans together for the kill by popping one to get the five 4/4 Dragons, then play a second for the Fires of Yavimaya ability, giving you the win.

Don't forget the Changeling ability, which shows up on the three most blatantly powerful Dragons in the game; Chameleon Colossus, Taurean Mauler, and most importantly, Mutavault! Don't you love a 5/5 manland or even an 8/8 for just one mana a turn? I sure do.

It's simple in design and execution, but powerful in the raw size of the creatures you can produce. :3

Let me know what you think! =)

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    Whoa you play League of Legends? What's your username? : d

I'll add you. Yes, I've been slacking of TCGs lately because of League of Legends as well... It's a conspiracy!

Standard does suck right now. I like the look of this deck though... Seems quite interesting and mildly awesome as a casual deck. I've always wanted to play Dragon Broodmother in some deck or other. :f

As for the new Praetors? I actually want to see what Elesh Norn does. : o I was always quite impressed with the card Priests of Norn, if only because it was a 1/4 which could poke at big guys to give them -1/-1 counters (and it was White!).

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    With this deck, you're just ramping in the early game. You have no small creatures to provide blockers. Thus, you'll get eaten alive by aggressive decks like Kuldotha Red.

To remedy this, you can use Overgrown Battlements. Rampant Growth is inferior to Sakura-Tribe Elder, so use Steve - he provides a chump blocker in a pinch. Pyroclasm or Slagstorm is worth a look, as it wipes weenies off the board.

Another problem is the mana curve. You only have two creatures at 4 or less mana - Mutavault and Taurean Mauler (4 being the CMC of Crucible, so you'd want as many creatures on the field before that to take full advantage of it). Furthermore, your bigger dragons don't have haste, so you can't drop them and beat on the same turn after getting a Crucible out. This is an unfortunate shortcoming of the Dragon type: all Dragons have CMC 4 or above. Looking at the changelings, Fire-Belly Changeling is at 2 CMC and is worth a shot. Woodland Changeling is a bear and also worth consideration.

Dragonmaster Outcast puts Dragons into play and he's a 1-drop alongside Lightning Bolt, so I'd use him. You're using a lot of ramp already, so getting to 6 lands shouldn't be too difficult. Early game or late game, you can just plop him onto the battlefield without much thought. Sarkhan's haste-giving ability works well with it.

Sarkhan Vol provides an alternative pump effect and if you can get his ultimate off, you'll win regardless of whether you have a Crucible in play. I'd keep him.

Land wise, Copperline Gorge is not as good as a painland, shockland or filter land. Replace it with any of the three options. If using a shockland, consider Kird Ape and Farseek- the Ape is a 2/3 for 1 mana on turn 1, despite not being a Dragon, while Farseek can search for Stomping Ground. There's no reason not to use fetchlands either, since they thin your deck.

In summary, to change your deck, I would take out all the large Dragons and replace them with smaller changelings or token makers.

Keeping the same "4-of everything" that you used:

Creatures 20
    4 Dragonmaster Outcast
    4 Fire-Belly Changeling
    4 Woodland Changeling
    4 Taurean Mauler
    4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

Other Spells 16
    4 Crucible of Fire
    4 Sarkhan Vol
    4 Explore
    4 Lightning Bolt

Land 24
    4 Mutavault
    4 Karplusan Forest
    4 Wooded Foothills
    mix of Mountains and Forests

p.s. in Standard I use a mono-white Artifact deck, basically JVL's Tempered Steel Aggro but with Origin Spellbombs over Vector Asps. It's a blast.

Last edited:
    Back