• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Mudkip, Treecko, and Torchic

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, our starters consisted of Mudkip, Torchic, and Treecko. So, when you had first seen them, what were your initial thoughts? Did you like them, or dislike? If it's latter, how come? Which did you wind up picking as your partner? Why did you choose it? If you were to change any aspect of these Pokémon, what would they be?

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I had always thought Mudkip was the cutest one, and (sadly) that uses drives my choices. But, I always pick Treeko. I don't know what made me start liking him, but he's been my choice of those three for the longest time. Torchic kinda just fell under my radar.

Years
  • I thought Torchic and Mudkip to be cute, and Treecko to be cool. I remember seeing someone evolve Treecko back when the big stores (K-Mart, Walmart, etc.) let you play GBA games, thought Grovyle looked pretty cool, and decided I'd start with it when I first got either Ruby or Sapphire. Ruby ended up being my first game, and I got Sapphire not long after. I went with Torchic in it because I preferred it to Mudkip at the time. However, when I reset both Ruby and Sapphire I tried out the other starters, though eventually ended with Treecko in Ruby and Sapphire being my "challenge" game. When I got Emerald, I chose Mudkip because it was the only one I didn't choose as my starter the first time playing. I've only reset it twice and went with the cute mudskipper both times~

As for changing them, the only thing I could think of would be giving Treecko a second type since it was left out, but at the same time, it's plenty good as a one type Pokemon, so I think it's fine as is.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Gen 3 is the only gen in which I love all three starters almost equally. They're all awesome. When I first got Sapphire, my first Hoenn starter was Torchic, simply because I tend to pick Fire at the start of every generation. Once I got Emerald, I picked Treecko, and then Mudkip in Ruby. All three were amazing to use and are still my favorite starters to this day.

Years
  • I decided on Torchic due to a silly reason that I heard it would be great help to me against the E4 and the champ. However, for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire I'll choose Treecko, my original intended starter.

Years
  • So I ended up playing with all three eventually, and this is how it went.

First time playing Sapphire:
    "ERMAHGERD It's a Phoenix! This is going to be so cool! And ew what is with the green thing?"
    SO I went with Torchic, and ignored Mudkip I believe. I was seriously hyped to see what kind of flaming bird I'll get.
    Around 16th level: "Ugh, um, okay, a fire chicken...that's alright, fire phoenix is up next!
    30+ level :"What the? Where is my Phoenix?! What did I spend 20 hours training this for!! What is this?!

I really wasn't expecting Blaziken to look like that but oh well.

On my next walkthrough Idk, which one exactly I took but I believe it was Mudkip, it was sort of cute and goofy so why not. Murshtomp was a bit odd, but Swampert was a beast.

The last one was obviously Treecko, I wasn't TOO happy to have it but man, Sceptile was a pleasant surprise!

My favorite would probably be Mudkip, seeing one always brings memories back so year. K, well, all three of them do, but Mudkip is my favorite :D

Years
  • When I first saw Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip I thought they looked weird compared to the past two generations' starters, but they did grow on me by the time I started playing the games.

As for who I picked, it was Mudkip because I figured it would be quite tough given Swampert's minimal weaknesses and good defensive stats. It actually did the job pretty well for me, and funnily enough I got a female one on the first try before I even heard about female starters being rare.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I love the Hoenn starters! I picked Treecko the first time, Torchic the second, and I traded myself an Eevee for the third time. I never ended up using Swampert in my original playthroughs. ;~; Sceptile is my favorite.

Years
  • This was by far the hardest decision I've had to make when playing a Pokemon game. When the bag screen initiated, I thought it would be a quick process, based on how the last two generations had been. Switched through all three Poke-balls to see the preview of each, and was stumped. They were all so adorable! After a few minutes of deliberation, I went online to find their evolutions, to provide for an easier choice. Unfortunately, it didn't help much. They were all amazing, from their basic stages to their final stages. I think I spent at least half an hour picking between the three, but eventually went with Mudkip for my first run of Hoenn. Since then, I've played through RSE with all three of them!

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I chose Torchic when I first started my file of Sapphire because May in the anime had one.
    When I first saw the starters I was not impressed on Treekco as I thought it was weird looking and Mudkip just did not intrest me.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Mudkip looked like a derp, Treeko looked sassy, and Torchic looked cute. So I picked Torchic. I ended up being very upset with my choice because late in the game I ended up with 3 fighting type pokemon.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I remember thinking that they all looked pretty cool, but that Torchic looked like the best choice.
    It was also the cutest to me back then. :P

I've always loved Fire types, so I found it really easy to choose Torchic.

These days though, I love Treecko the most out of the three. The anime kinda ruined Torchic for me because they made it so dang irritating. >>;

Mellan

Pokémon Chion Developer
    Years
  • Well, my first impression with Pokèmon was pretty weird.
    My first Pokèmon game was Emerald and I thought I had to catch the Zigzagoon that was attacking Birch, so I chose the most similar to him (Torchic). And yes, I confused a raccoon for a chick. xD I was 10 years old...

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip along with their evolutionary lines are by far the best set of starters, I always find it difficult choosing one to use when playing RSE.

Years
  • I have chosen Mudkip the most times out of any of them, then Torchic, and only chose Treecko like two or three times lol. I like them as they are, although I remember the first time when I played through the games, I remember when May's Grovyle was really fast and I was like "what on earth?!" Haha.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I loved all three. :') Although in my first playthrough, I picked Treecko - which wasn't a long choice for me, due to me thinking that water beats fire and grass was just there. xD Even though I love all three, I used Treecko more prominently simply because it has a special place in my heart <3

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • At the time the Advanced Generation came out, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to Pokemon. I saw Torchic and the others on a toy box, then right after saw May's Torchic in the show. I loved Torchic, and I did like Mudkip but didn't expect he'd become a favorite I now collect years later(I collect both now XD)
    Dispite having the chance I chose getting a Plusle and Minun Hasbro beanies instead of Torchic and/or Mudkip, but this was also because:
    I had Colosseum, and not the GBA games. Only got and started those 2 years ago :S
    Treeko was always my least Favorite, I didn't see a lot in him. I did like Ash's personality, and eventually chose him for dex completion in Sapphire but soon started to enjoy using the little green gecko :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    At first glance, I liked them less than the previous starters. Aesthetically, I still feel that way, but some of them at least do well in battle, and I like them better than some of the starters who came along later.

I picked Mudkip. It was my favorite from the get-go, but I always pick the water type, so even if I hadn't liked it that much, I probably would have gone with it anyway. I've never liked Torchic much (though Blaziken does pretty well in battle, especially in XY), but I like Mudkip and Treecko reasonably well. I was excited to see Mudkip evolve into a part-ground type, making it similar to my Quagsire from my Gold team.

If I were to change them...Hmm...I guess making Sceptile's attack better would be nice, since it really got clobbered in the physical/special split. During RSE, though, that wouldn't have done much good, so I'm not sure what I'd change.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I always liked Grass types back then, so choosing Treecko was a no brainer. I think Treecko was very well designed, so it appealed to me even more. I didn't bother with Mudkip considering I could get Wingull early on for a water type.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2015
    Mudkip was my first pick. I tried torchic after that but I never really liked to fighting and fire. Just never fit with my play style.

Back