• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Multi person conversation VMs

moments.

quixotic
Years
  • So, I was thinking of an idea which might be impossible to implement, but is basically a twist on the "VM Conversations."

Is it possible to have a conversation between more than 2 people, so when you post a comment, it automatically sends both receivers a notification.

Just an idea.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ooh, I would love that. There have been many times when I wished I could hold a group conversation over VM. Don't know if that'd be possible, but it'd be nice.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Regarding social groups, if you want to limit it to three or so people, you could always just make restricted (or invite-only) social groups set on private.

Or get AIM. That works too. :p

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • But do social groups get notifications when there is a message?
    The graphics battle and collab group for anyone who remembers continually died because nobody knew when someone posted in it and everyone forgot about it...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Although what if they wanted to chat about random stuff, and they don't fit a category? Do you just make a random chatting social group?

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
  • If this could actually happen, it would be an awesome feature to have. I'm sure all of us have had to VM two people about the same thing or something like that. We can send a PM to multiple people so it would be just like that, just not as private. Social groups are made for a discusion on a certain topic, movie, ect. It would be intresting in members made a group for their friends, but would it be more efficent then VMs?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    if this existed/wouldn't murder the server, I would support it 100%
    Seems like a great feature to have, it'd be very interesting.

unless theres a plugin, wouldn't audy or someone have to manually create it though? D;

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    From a programmer's point of view... this would be a pain in the ass to code.

Aaand, some words of wisdom:

Spoiler:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    This actually sounds really awesome.

If it doesn't break PC I think it'd be a brilliant idea.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • So would such an idea be considered for implementing for PC?
    I like the idea you have, and it's good that it is possible and not overly difficult, should we expect to see this implemented, or do you think it's redundant?

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • So, I was thinking of an idea which might be impossible to implement, but is basically a twist on the "VM Conversations."

Is it possible to have a conversation between more than 2 people, so when you post a comment, it automatically sends both receivers a notification.

Just an idea.

I support this. This is a great way to stalk Went certain people I love on PC :3

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I like the idea...especially if it's just a private thread you can link people to.

The only downfall I can see is that I'm not sure if vB has the capability to lock uninvited people out of the thread...or if we'd need to do some PHP magic to manually give permissions for that.

The social groups can essentially serve the same function, but you have to manually subscribe to them and you don't get notifications. I'd like to see a notification for new replies in subscribed threads/blogs/SGs, so that we can effectively utilize SGs to serve the function we're considering. Though this requires that the social groups system be reconfigured so that the user has more power over the groups they found, I think it could more easily be re-purposed to enable this.

Of course, theoretically we could just write a vB bot script that manages group PMs, but that might only be a cumbersome workaround which wouldn't quite yield the functionality we want.

Years
  • i think this would be cool :p
    like if.....somebody was doing a hack and they got three helpers, they'd want to talk together.
    so yeah, i agree with most of these people, i'd like it, unless it broke PC

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • PC already has this feature. They're called threads.

We're a forum, not Facebook, I don't see why anything like this would be needed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2011
    (havn't posted in ages)

On Bulbagarden, we have special sections where you can make a thread to discuss. If you want to talk just as a group, on Bulbagarden you can make a Private RPG and post IC and OOC posts, for a three way chat AND a game.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I don't see why anything like this would be needed.

Probably because VMs aren't necessarily on-topic things that can easily be categorized in a specific forum. (A little like the DCC, only with a handful of people, basically. And potentially more lulz. I mean, there's been so many times when I've done things like spammed my friends pictures of Sarah Palin and done other things with them that just wouldn't be appropriate for a full-on thread.) In other words, one-on-one VMs alone could potentially be locked if they were turned into threads. There's no reason to assume multi-person VMs would have the same thing happen, and the idea is only to have a VM conversation between a select few people instead of everyone on your profile -- meaning just going to the DCC wouldn't exactly be an option.

That being said, I personally think it'd be an interesting idea for the above reason.

Back