• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Multiplayer or Singleplayer?

TY

Do you buy games mainly for the Multiplayer modes or for the story and solo-modes?
    Or even both?

For me i always buy them for the story first, cause i want to have a good time on my own discovering the game and with a good, long story im able to get familar with the mechanics of the game. Though i also like a good organized Multiplayer mode, i always go for the story first.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm a singleplayer/story guy first, an offline multiplayer guy second, and an online multiplayer third. I don't really jump at online competitive/cooperative modes, and I definitely have a good number of games where I haven't even touched the online. Not that I don't like online, I'm a fan of MMOs and I do enjoy multiplayer experiences, but I've come to find that I have the most fun when I'm playing with friends and people I know than any other time.

Years
  • I suppose it depends on the Game Series for me. For the likes of Ace Combat and Assassins Creed it's for the story, as the story and characters are so intriguing and you really get immersed in the world you are put in. You can't help but love it. However, with games such as Forza, Halo and Battlefield it's for the multiplayer. When you are in a low mood mindless video game violence in the FPS is a really good way to blow off steam, and in Forza it is so much better racing against actual people rather than the AIs.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    Depending on the game series. Mario Kart? Jumpin' straight into Multiplayer, since it doesn't really have a story mode.

I usually try to finish up most of the story mode in Monster Hunter 3 before jumping into Multiplayer. That most of the time happens when my capabilities of soloing reach it's limit.

Assassin Creed, God Eater, Star Wars, Fighting games general are those of the games that i only play for the story mode. Can't really think of more games, atm.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Depends on the genre. Here's a summarized, general list.

FPS - Multiplayer exclusively .
    RPG - Story exclusively.
    Fighting Game - Arcade exclusively.
    JRPG - Neither because they're all terrible.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I prefer picking up video games that have a fun multi-player mode. Once the story is told, what else can I really do? I can only replay the story oh so many times. That is why RPGs and Sonic games sit on my shelf once beaten while I'm still playing first-person shooters, despite not even liking shooters. I like relying on my friends to cover me too, since I'd probably not even get through the story on my own. I can't shoot at all. >.>

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • It's rare that I actually buy games for the single player mode. There are so many options for multiplayer nowadays, and some games that provide a much more vast experience simply with the online than what's presented with the story, so multiplayer is pretty much the sole reason I buy a lot of games nowadays. Which is the polar opposite of my brother's opinion. He downright hates multiplayer, and usually buy games with an enjoyable single-player experience. But I kinda gain from that as well, since all the consoles he uses to play those games are mine, so if I at any time feel like playing a single-player game, I have all of his as options :p But yeah, it's hard to buy games nowadays that don't incorporate multiplayer in some way, so you often get both at the same time. But yeah, most of my collection of PS3 games are ones that have a multiplayer function; whether it's online or simply with friends :p

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
    Years
  • It just depends on the game really. Some games have a great story mode and a bad online mode, some have a great online mode and a bad story mode, and some have both. Most of the time I'll buy games for the story mode, but if they have an online mode I'll try it out and see if it's any good or not.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Pokemon is the only multiplayer game I really play. Otherwise, I stick mostly to games that can be played almost strictly in single-player mode. The only other exceptions are Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, which I play against my sister. I can't stand multiplayer games generally.

Years
  • I buy most games with mulitplayer in mind, but I'll always play the campaign first. The only time I didn't was Black Ops II, and I regretted it.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Both are factors when it comes to playing games, but singleplayer is usually my priority. I wouldn't want to buy a game just because multiplayer is good, because it's not every time I get to play multiplayer, so during those times, the game is practically useless.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I prefer to look for a multiplayer based game..I'm always liking the thrill of playing with people there to help you, or put up a challenge :P

It's also fun to party up with your mates~

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • JRPG - Neither because they're all terrible.
    How could you...?
    crying-meme-face-tumblr-597.png

Anyways... I'm an offline single player. The only time I go online is if some trophies require it.
    If game has multiplayer option but is finishable (with all trophies) offline, I do it offline.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I buy games that have a really good multipalyer that I'll play for a long time actively, and rent games that have a really good story. The way I look at it, if a game has a really good story mode and nothing else to it, the after I beat the game then I will get bored of it. If a game has a good multiplayer and a good community, then I always have something to do.

Back