• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Multiple status problems

CakeForTheSoul

You Are A Cinema
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    I see someone with a move set involving getting you poisoned and burned.
    Then using moves that make you flinch or using Protect or Fly or something to get themselves out of the way.
    SCENARIO TIME
    Seeing you at 100% go down to 92% with a Burn,
    then down to 83% or less depending on the poison type move,
    then using Fly(Example) down to 65% or so,
    Fly Hits and your down to 41% or less depending on your type,
    then down to 28%,opponent evades with fly or something and your dead.

I don't know if its just me but I clearly see someone doing that.
    Maybe in a challenge if they know there favorite type wont hold up against the opponent.

Last edited:

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    It's all down to balance, as people have said. If it didn't unbalance the game, it would already have been implemented by now.

I'm just wondering, are people expecting massive gameplay changes just because the website says "A whole new adventure"? Because you do realise they're just saying that to hype up the game?

I have to agree. From everything we have seen so far, Black/White look same ol' same ol'. There's nothing wrong with that - if it ain't broke, don't fix it - but people really shouldn't be getting their hopes up that Black/White are going to be revolutionary. In fact, with regards to Pokémon no longer following you, they're a bit of a step back IMO. :|

Hitmondog

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    No this makes absolutely no sense. All you have to do is open up the battle with Spore and you win.

I see someone with a move set involving getting you poisoned and burned.
    Then using moves that make you flinch or using Protect or Fly or something to get themselves out of the way.
    SCENARIO TIME
    Seeing you at 100% go down to 92% with a Burn,
    then down to 83% or less depending on the poison type move,
    then using Fly(Example) down to 65% or so,
    Fly Hits and your down to 41% or less depending on your type,
    then down to 28%,opponent evades with fly or something and your dead.

I don't know if its just me but I clearly see someone doing that.
    Maybe in a challenge if they know there favorite type wont hold up against the opponent.
    Why would you stay in on a Fly if you're losing health at ~17% per round? Sounds pretty stupid to me.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Some people are saying it wouldn't be balanced...but I think if they only allowed certain multiple status problems to occur at once then it could work. Say for instance you get frozen..your pokemon is also put to sleep till it thaws out.

Say you've been paralyzed..it could cause confusion as well.

If your pokemon has been burned then in some cases an automatic taunt could come into play with the pokemon only using attack moves while having its power boosted. This sounds realistic since who wouldn't be pissed if someone burned them? :D

I'm surpried earthquake doesn't cause confusion. I mean if the earth was really shaking and people got tossed around who wouldn't be dizzy afterwards?

With Game Freak introducing animated battles I think it would be neat if they added more 'realism' to the fights as well.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Say you've been paralyzed..it could cause confusion as well.

Paralysis already lowers your speed, adding confusion would make it imba.

If your pokemon has been burned then in some cases an automatic taunt could come into play with the pokemon only using attack moves while having its power boosted. This sounds realistic since who wouldn't be pissed if someone burned them? :D
    Burn already lowers attack.

I'm surpried earthquake doesn't cause confusion. I mean if the earth was really shaking and people got tossed around who wouldn't be dizzy afterwards?
    For the sake of balance - 100/100 AND confusion? nty.

With Game Freak introducing animated battles I think it would be neat if they added more 'realism' to the fights as well.
    Sure, might as well remove every single elemental attack and leave only Fighting, Flying and some Normal type moves if you're wanting to be "realistic".

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
    LOL 4 MEAN LOOK TOXIC WILL-O-WISP SPORE. (Probably impossible, 3 status alignments. Spore = sleep, toxic = poison, will-o-wisp = burn, mean look is semi-status and thus your pokemon is sleeping, losing 24% minimum each turn, and also can't switch out. Hmm, sounds broken.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I remember playing Ruby and going from Slateport to Mauville. There was Gulpins and Electrikes in the grass and when I ran out of paralyz heals, I was happy if my pokémon got paralyzed, cause that meant they couldn't get poisoned, and sure paralyze was annoying, but at least they could hold on a bit longer than if they were to steadily go towards doooom from poisoning.

So, the way I use status changes in game, I'd hate if you could get multiple :p

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Lol imagine that, Your pokemon being burnt, poisoned and asleep.

You would have no chance of winning.

Fail idea.

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Apr 4, 2022
    That would be pretty cool.But it would be too easy or too hard at certain points.But if that were to happen it would be better that items get easier to buy!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Paralysis already lowers your speed, adding confusion would make it imba. Burn already lowers attack.
    Hmm, forgot about that.

For the sake of balance - 100/100 AND confusion? nty.
    For the sake of balance? It's not going to make that much of a difference, and since when does everything have to be perfectly balanced?

It's common sense you spin around in a room, you're gonna get dizzy; your house is shaking and you being knocked everywhere could cause confusion, the chances of being confused wouldn't be like a glaring 60%, 70%, 80% and so on but could be in the smaller percentiles of 10%-20%.

Sure, might as well remove every single elemental attack and leave only Fighting, Flying and some Normal type moves if you're wanting to be "realistic".

Fire, electric, water, ground, rock, poison, and bug are all realistic. You can get burned by fire and play with it as well, struck by lightning or shocked from putting a plug in, drown in water or stay in cold water to the point of where you're close to getting pneumonia, ever heard of that sinkhole that opened up in Guatemala a few days ago that was over 30 feet deep? There's ground for ya. Rocks: rockslides mainly.

Humans and other animals can get poisoned, and bugs/insects in 'reality' though most not harmful can do some damage to humans, crops, etc. Killer bees, mosquitoes, horseflies, etc. So how is that not realistic? :\

The only types that seem to not be realistic are psychic, ghost, and dark. Psychic could be disputed though if one is a believer in juju, ,voodoo, withcraft, etc. But obviously I'm not calling for realism to the point of where some types don't make any since whatsoever. Just realism in status problems.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I have wanted pokemon to be able to have multiple status problems ever since i started playing. It has never made since to me. Why does being poisened make you unable to be burned? i know the programing wouldent be that hard, just make the pokemon take damage twice, or say its sleeping and takes damage from burn or whatever.

You can have up to two status inflictions in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and if you get one more one of the status problems you had before is cancelled-so for example, if you were poisoned and paralyzed, and then became confused, either the paralysis would go away or the poisoning. Are you suggesting something like that?

Back