• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music in Gaming

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I need music when I play games because playing in silence is like watching the television without sound. It's a lot duller. It doesn't necessarily have to be good music though, just throw in an orchestra playing something and it'll be good enough for me. Having a good soundtrack is a bonus, really, it's definitely nice to see a decent soundtrack but it doesn't usually have an impact on how much I enjoy the game. It is important to have music, but I don't think it's important to put a ton of effort into making something amazing.

Favourite soundtracks are: Silent Hill 2 (which is actually my most listened to album, it's that good), all the other Silent Hill games, Halo, Metal Gear Solid 4, Fable 2, Mirror's Edge, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and if visual novels count as games then also all of the music used in Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Zukdeen

Come follow me.
    Years
  • Music is very important on the Game. Do you think how would it be a Resident Evil without music? The Races on Grand Turismo without music? A battle between a Legendary Pokémon and you with no special soundtrack?
    That's just... blargh
    Music is a very important fact to have the player inserted in the game.

The soundtracks I like the most are the Pokémon Crystal soundtrack, the Luminous Arc II: Will soundtrack and the Super Smash Bros. Brawl one. They are magnificent!

Pepo

First Generation Pokémon
    Years
  • Handheld games I don't play with the music on so I can't judge there.

In console games the music is a pretty important part. Fallout 3 had some awesome music on the Galaxy News Radio station.

Exactly! Handheld games I dont play with the music as its always dire tunes. Most of the time it Monophonic.

Fallout 3 Music is awsome! The game would be so boring without any music. Oldies music FTW! Lol

I dont really care for the music, the only time I pay attention to music is when I play GTA.

GTA:VC - Flash FM. Awsome Songs ;D
    GTA:SA - Radio X. Old Skool Rock
    GTA:IV - The Beat. 3 Good Songs, I Prefer WKTT Though ;D

Nowadays, if you play games on the PC then you can add your own music into the game.

But like I said, I dont really care for music in RPGS, Such as FF and Last Remnant. Plus you dont really hear any music unless a battle is about to begin or something unfolds. But if I played GTA without any music that'd be so depressing and boring.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    As others have said, music is important. It helps define certain moments in the game to the point that if it weren't there , it might not make it as, say scary or even energetic. It helps define the mood.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    As others have said, music is important. It helps define certain moments in the game to the point that if it weren't there , it might not make it as, say scary or even energetic. It helps define the mood.
    Actually, now that you mention it, quite a few games can have atmosphere not because of the music at the moment, but because of the lack of music. It depends on what the game is trying to achieve.

For example, Demon's Souls is trying to make you feel alone, and the lack of music really makes you feel alone in the game. I wouldn't complain if it had good music that was played during non-boss battles, but I couldn't imagine it being anywhere near as atmospheric with music.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
  • Oh man, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger.
    Even the original Pokemon.
    Play those games without any music and tell me how little it matters.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    To me, the most important thing in games is the story and gameplay, but the music and sound effects can have a huge impact on the person when playing, for example, horror games, the eerie music is a big part of frightening you.

My favorite games for music are the Final Fantasy series, mainly the VIII and IX games. Some good tracks in them are 'feel my blade', 'the man with the machine gun', 'hunters chance' and the boss battle themes. Boss battle themes are usually one of the good tracks from games in my opinion. I like a lot of other game tracks like from Breath of Fire IV and some Pokemon games.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • The lack of music is also part of the soundtrack...
    At least, that's how I see it. :3

But anyways, being the OST fanatic that I am, I will say that music is necessairy. I don't like playing games when I can't hear the songs, even the handheld games one.
    Even the "bling-bling-bleep" sounds add to the gaming experience. XD If I get annoyed I put it off, though. But I always start with the sound on.

Like Timbjerr, I find the OST's of Fire Emblem and the Legend of Zelda to be marvelous.
    Playing Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn with the music on is really a great experience. Anyone remember the endgame of part 3? The heartbeat sound really made me feel uncomfortable... I didn't want to fight. xD

Music is deffinitally a plus. : >

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I like the music in Plants Vs. Zombies. Pretty much every song sets a different tone without getting in the way of playing. Ever try playing PvZ with MC Frontalot in the background? It doesn't work.

There's a zombie on your la-awn~

Xia

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    The music made by Crush 40, for the sonic games. Those are cool. And the regular mission BG's too. Take Digital Circuit from Shadow the hedgehog =3

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Music can make or break a game imo.

It can create atmospheres that just watching the game couldn't.

Back