• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music in Pokemon

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
    I have a simple but interesting question for everyone.

What are your thoughts on the music found in Pokemon (anime and/or games)?

Personally, I like some of the music in the games but compared to other RPGs (even Nintendo ones like the Legend of Zelda series), it's rather ordinary. It also seems to repeat a lot in every generation. The only region I loved the music in was Unova. Unova had amazing sounds xD

As for the anime, well, some of the openings are nice but they too seem rather similar (again, I really liked Unova's opening xD).

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I really love the games' music, simple as that. RPGs tend to have amazing soundtracks most of the time.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2015
    I'm in love with the games's soundtrack and am always excited to hear music from the new games.

I especially like the music during the 4th Generation. Sinnoh had this jazzy-modern feel to it and was perfect for the atmosphere of the region.

I also liked the music in HG/SS. I've never played G/S/C before so I can't make any comparisons. Ecruteak City was my favorite to visit whenever I played HG. The oriental visuals accompanied by the music sets up quite the mood.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Gotta agree that the music in Sinnoh was fantastic and very appropriate for the environment. <3 Hoenn I love a lot because of the energy, and the new tracks that ORAS brought in were fantastic. Disappointed with some of the remixes though. XY had gorgeous music befitting its environment as well. I didn't much care for Kanto-Johto tracks; they just didn't bring the same level of engagement for me. Unova... has some good stuff but a lot of it just was not super in tune with the story and environment idk. Love the BW rival battle track though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2017
    Did you know that some people got seizures when they heard the music in Lavender town back in gen 1 Kanto. This also reminds me of that episode with the porygon in the original series where some children actually died after watching it lol( although it's kind of a sad lol)

Years
    I was usually impressed by most of the soundtracks, but for me 5th Gen did it the best. There's some pretty impressive music tracks in there (looking at you, Ghetsis and Celestial Tower) plus the music in some routes changing based on the season in-game gave it even more unique factor to it.

X/Y had a great one as well, there was a lot of great tracks in there but still not as great as 5th Gen.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2017
    No they didn't, that's just a myth because new things are bad news and pokémon was the new thing at the time.

What really!!! No I don't think so, that episode is even banned "officially" due to this reason in USA.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    What really!!! No I don't think so, that episode is even banned "officially" due to this reason in USA.

I was talking about the Lavender Town music, not the Porygon episode. I've seen that episode for myself.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2017
    Oh yea that makes sense, I actually liked the Lavender town music in FRLG and I was really weirded out that I liked to hear stuff that gave other people seizures haha, oh and did you get the seizure as well when you watched the porygon episode?

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Oh yea that makes sense, I actually liked the Lavender town music in FRLG and I was really weirded out that I liked to hear stuff that gave other people seizures haha, oh and did you get the seizure as well when you watched the porygon episode?

Well I'm still alive so no, I didn't. I don't really think Lavender Town's all that great though imo.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    People didn't get seizures after the initial Porygon episode airing because the framerate on the subsequent releases was toned down so it didn't cause that reaction. It only happened in children as well, and maybe some adults prone to seizures from stimulants idr. But Lavender Town music was just a rumor; it was hella eerie and very interesting but not seizure-causing.

Years
    What makes the tunes in the games great is that they are short, yet easy to recognize soundtracks; I think that's what makes them very nostalgic especially for veterans of the series. They are also there to set up an atmosphere/create a first impression upon the player entering the area. I never recall paying attention to the music playing Pokemon as a little kid, but I remember nearly every note in RSE's original soundtrack; the music is mixed in such a way that it doesn't distract you from what you are doing, and still be there to provide a "background."

I can't really find myself choosing likes and dislikes over which music sounded the best/worst in whatever location. Each region and generation has its own set of tracks, and that is part of what makes them stand out from one another.

Back