• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Inserter

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
    Years
    Does anyone know about any sort of program that lets you insert music midi files for pokemon roms to make it different like if I want Littleroot town to have a Sandgem Town midi music from D/P.
    Please let me know PRONTO!

Last edited:

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    Removed link to Mid2AGB

Well first get two programs...
    1. Sappy 2006
    2. Mid2AGB

After you've installed these, go to start, "run" and run whatever your command prompt is(For me it's cmd). When your command prompt is open, type "cd" then type in whatever directory mid2agb is in(For instance, I would type in"cd C:\Pokemon Fire Red + Leaf Green\Midi2GBA\"). Then make sure the midi you want to convert is in the same folder as Mid2AGB. Next, make sure you're in the Mid2AGB directory in command prompt and type "mid2agb.exe [midiname]". So say I wanted to convert "Cherrygrove.mid" I would type in "mid2agb.exe Cherrygrove.mid"(Minus the quotes) then hit enter and it'll convert it to a ".s" file.

Now open up Sappy and open the GBA POKeMON game you want to change music in(Remember, Sappy doesn't work on all games, but it does work for the GBA POKeMON games). Once the game is open, go to the song dropdown box to the right and select the song you want to replace. So say I wanted to replace "Battle 4" of FireRed and I would go down to that. Next, go to "Assemble" and browse for your ".S" filename we converted earlier, which should be in the same folder as "Mid2AGB". After you've selected your .S Filename, type in the offset you want the music to be stored at next to "Base definition offset". Before you press "Assemble that ugly thing!" make sure "MPlayDef.s" is in the same folder as your .s file. Then press "Assemble that ugly thing!" and it will start assembling it. Once that's done, it'll ask you "Do you want to set the proper entry in the Song Table?" and click "Yes". If it's successful, you should hear a GBA-ized version of your midi, but if it didn't work, don't worry, some midis just won't work. Now, just because it works in Sappy doesn't mean it'll play in-game and if it doesn't work in game, that probably means you'll have to adjust some pointers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    Yeah, I'm going to post it in the tutorials sections since a lot of people actually don't know about it.

Antwhan

setting up for the big beta
    Years
    Thank the gods! someone has decided to help everyone with this question. Thanx Magnius!

Here's a second question because i'm curious...

can u just add to the existing songs without replacing them?

Years
    Hmm, I tried the transplant method. I exported a song from Emerald and imported it to Ruby. I replaced Ruby's last song, title "The End!" with the Game Corner's Theme. Then I give the map the 1C8 value to indicate it's the song I want to play on that map. The music plays fine, but then all of a sudden the game freezes with a chalk-board scratching noise that repeats over and over. I've tried exporting and replacing various songs, but at some point they freeze up on me. I was hoping someone will have an answer to my solution. Thanks in advance.

nrox653

What should I put here...
    Years
    Finally! Thanks, Magnius, that helped a lot! I was waiting for foullump's tutorial, but seeing as he's pretty much taking forever to create it...

Last edited:

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
    Years
    Finally! Thanks, Magnius, that helped a lot! I was waiting for foullump's tutorial, but seeing as he's pretty much taking forever to create it...

yeah, sorry about that. I was too lazy to do it. Anyways, I AM working on a scripting tutorial. So look forward to that.

GWXCORE

Protector of the Core
    Years
    i figured this goes here. I have a program that allows me to import/export midi called guitar pro 5. is there a program to extract G/S/C music so i can import it to guitar pro to revamp. do i have to use sappy to edit the music? but it only works on GBA games

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
    Years
    While on the subject of music.. Can anyone make the song of Metal Mario on SSBM and replace it over the Team Magma/Aqua grunts and put it on a ips patch for ruby?

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Get A link to the Midi of that song and I'll be more than happy to do that for you :D.

El Diabeetus

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Well I guess I can't do it...

When tried to convert it to an .s file in Mid2agb it didn't work...

El Diabeetus

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'll Insert it later I have to get off the Computer.

But the conversion for that one worked. :D

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back