• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music listening questions!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Are you a mainstreamer, an indie rocker, or are you somewhere in the middle? If you're somewhere in the middle, which do you lean more towards, if any?
    What is your opinion of people who strictly listen to mainstream music?
    What is your opinion of people who strictly listen to underground/indie music?
    What do you find is a bad taste in music?
    Is there an artist that you consider to be poisonous to someone's taste in music? If so, who?
    "Their new album isn't as good as their past work:" Do you compare artists to themselves, or do you treat each album or song as a separate piece of work?
    Complete this sentence: People who hate a genre as a whole are _______.
    What is your favorite genre?
    What is your least favorite genre?
    "Your taste in music sucks:" Do you pass this observation over people often?
    "I only listen to music that makes me dance:" What is your reply?
    Ever took someone under your wing and tried to get them to get a better taste in music?
    Repeat One vs Shuffle vs Repeat All: Which one do you use the most? Which one do you use the least?
    What would you define your taste in music as?

Years
    Are you a mainstreamer, an indie rocker, or are you somewhere in the middle? If you're somewhere in the middle, which do you lean more towards, if any?
    I'm a takes-a-while-to-accept-mainstream-but-even-then-I-don't-like-much-of-it-because-I'm-stuck-in-my-own-tastes-er.

They would probably like some music that isn't mainstream if they knew about it, but otherwise as long as they are enjoying it good on them.

They would probably like some music that isn't underground/indie if they gave it a chance, but otherwise as long as they are enjoying it good on them.

Tastes that don't change. lol kinda admitted I had bad taste there. Hm, personally I think anyone who only listens to only one kind of music probably doesn't have very good taste because they aren't open to something different.

Is there an artist that you consider to be poisonous to someone's taste in music? If so, who?

Not sure I understand exactly. If you mean like someone who, once you start to like them, makes your taste in music go sour then... I dunno. My own experience is that catchy pop music can make me stop listening to a lot of my other music, but I usually burn out on that and go back to what I used to listen to.

"Their new album isn't as good as their past work:" Do you compare artists to themselves, or do you treat each album or song as a separate piece of work?

I do this, sort of. One not so good album is fine and I just won't listen to it so much. If they start making more than one album that isn't as good then I think they're loosing their touch.

... not open to change.

Electronic.

Country & Western.

No, but if I don't like an artist that someone loves to play all the time I might say something about that particular artist.

I have some great music for you to try. It might be different from what you're used to, but I hope you like it.

Ever took someone under your wing and tried to get them to get a better taste in music?

I wouldn't say "better" as much as "music that I like so I have someone to enjoy it with."

Repeat One vs Shuffle vs Repeat All: Which one do you use the most? Which one do you use the least?

Shuuuuuffffffffffllllllle. When not that I listen to shuffle of a single artist, shuffle of a select number of artists, then single albums straight through normally.

Like good or bad? If so, fairly good. I feel like I've been exposed to a fair number of musicians and I'm relatively open to new music, but I still know what I like.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I'm definitely in the middle of this. I listen to a lot of mainstream, but when it's brought to my attention, I'll listen to some indie rock or lesser known music.

I'm indifferent. I don't judge people by what they listen to. If all they listen to is mainstream music, then I'm not going to share an opinion on them for that. If anything, I'll probably share some lesser known artists to them that I like and are similar to their taste in mainstream music.

The same as the above; I share no opinion on it.

What Scarf said earlier – someone who strictly only listens to one type of music and isn't willing to branch off into other genres or artists is sort of like having a bad taste. I don't know how some do it either, because I'd become so bored listening to the same sort of music every day.

If I'm reading this right, then I'd go on and say artists like Lil Wayne, for example, who only sing about love, drugs, and money more than half the time and fills their lyrics with overused profanity, I'd consider that poisonous to someone's taste in music; especially if that's all they're inclined to listen to.

I wouldn't say so. When I'm reading comments on an artist's album and I see people comparing their new work with their older material, I get a little bit annoyed. I mean, if they want this artist to stay current and keep making music and not get dropped by their label or company due to poor sales and whatnot, they've got to keep somewhat current to not only keep their current fans, but hopefully to draw in new fans as well. I'm easily satisfied when it comes to music though, and that's why I'd listen to almost anything. So long as I like it, I'm not going to say it's better or worse than what they had before.

Small minded and unwilling to change.

I'd probably say Pop. It's my most played genre and I've been listening to it for years. I also like it for the upbeat and party-dance rhythm.

Rap. I rarely get any sort of enjoyment out of listening to rap music and find it rather boring. I'll listen to some of the good rap songs that come out every once in a blue moon, but on a larger scale it's my least favorite genre.

Nope. I won't judge them on their taste in music, because it's what they like and I'm not going to try to convert them to like something else. If they're listening to someone or a song that I just don't like, then I'll probably say that I don't share the same feelings towards it.

"That's awesome! I love listening to music that makes me dance all the time too. I'll still listen to plenty other songs that aren't as upbeat though."

No. The least I do is introduce or suggest to them some other music artists or songs that they may not have heard before and I think they might like. I won't try to change what they enjoy listening to, because I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. To each their own, and if they like listening to music that I don't enjoy as much, then that's fine with me. I may at times have them listen to some of the songs I like to see if they like it too, and if they do, then we have something more to relate with.

It's always Shuffle and Repeat All simultaneously a majority of the time. Unless I want to listen to the same song over and over again because it's my new time addiction, then I'll only have that song on repeat.

Universal.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i'd say i'm in the middle since i enjoy both. umm...gee, i love both indie and pop music and all that so idk if i even lean. i guess i lean more towards indie since it's my overall favorite genre, and i love listening to stuff no one else knows about and then getting them to like it. :>

i feel i must introduce them to some weird stuff they have never heard.

they're missing some good mainstream songs.

there is no bad taste. what you like is what you like, and who am i to judge you for enjoying music? it is fulfilling its purpose if you enjoy it, or at least one of its purposes. however, i don't really like it when people glue themselves to one genre of music. -glares at metalheads-

i'll be honest here and say i will cringe if someone likes taylor swift or sugarland. i don't know why, i just don't like those artists that much.

i don't like it when people do this. let's use kings of leon for an example, since they're my favorite band, their albums are all pretty different, and it happens with them A LOT. people love their first two albums, and start hating them at the latest. what people don't seem to understand, at least in the kings' case, is that artists grow and change. the songs aren't all about sex and drugs anymore. with their latest album, come around sundown, it's clear that it's a more mature album. they've grown up. and people don't take that into consideration. i am fairly sure that your tastes in music change over time, do they not? so of course, the songwriting of an artist, among other things, will change over time as well.

Complete this sentence: People who hate a genre as a whole are missing out, and likely closed-minded.

indie, without a doubt. drum n bass and rock are close behind...and pop.

not my least favorite per se, but i guess country. i think country songs tell great stories and are really good actually, but i just have to be in a mood to listen to them. they tend to all make me really sad, because they're so down to earth and they pull at my heartstrings a little and i feel like i should change the song haha.

no. i only say that jokingly. the closest i get to legit saying it is something like "you should listen to some more stuff than just _____"

i'll dance with you. but only if you agree to listen to a few songs that will make you think. :)

i sorta did? he already had a good taste in music though, but i got razor leaf to listen to rihanna, lady gaga, and black sun empire. maybe some other random songs here and there. and my sister kinda. since she is at my house a bit and in my car with me, she gets to hear the mars volta, kings of leon, and pendulum and she likes them all now...after going through some "ugh you listen to them too much" phases of course.

i was thinking of making a thread like this today actually. i shuffle my ipod/itunes all the time, but i'll skip around a lot til i find something i'm in the mood for. it's not often i repeat one song.

i don't know. i like my taste in music, but even though it's very broad (i've been told i have the most diverse/random ipod ever) i still feel like it's lacking in some departments (not enough rap, some good alternatives bands i need to listen to, etc). but ummmm i'm running out of room for songs. i need a new ipod...lol

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Are you a mainstreamer, an indie rocker, or are you somewhere in the middle?
    I would say somewhere in the middle.

If you're somewhere in the middle, which do you lean more towards, if any?
    Umm lesser known I guess. but I still get some mainstream (For that genre) but I usually listen to lesser known music.

Their missing out on some pretty great music.

Uhm. Ok, I guess I can respect that, though its their choice really.

I dont think theirs a bad taste or bad music, It just depends on the person.

Not sure.

"Their new album isn't as good as their past work." Do you compare artists to themselves, or do you treat each album or song as a separate piece of work?
    I might sometimes, but mostly I treat each one separate. like, I dont like this song but I like the rest, oh well.

Complete this sentence: "People who hate a genre as a whole are _______."
    rightful to their opinion.

Country
    /or christian but yeah.

Rap / Metal.

"Your taste in music sucks." Do you pass this observation over people often?
    No.

"I only listen to music that makes me dance." What is your reply?
    Cool, I dont dance to music, but it seems pretty fun.

Nope. but sometimes I do show people some of the lesser known music or just music that i listen to, and they think its pretty good.

I like to use shuffle, i used to just repeat one song allot i still do now and then.

Unique, different, good.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Are you a mainstreamer, an indie rocker, or are you somewhere in the middle? If you're somewhere in the middle, which do you lean more towards, if any? noooneee, I like what I like regardless of popularity.

they are obviously just not that interested in music, no problems with it until people start trying to claim they know everything about music because they've heard all of Paramore's albums

never met some sort of genuine hipster. these wanabe people are just never as underground as they think they are "I listen to intelligent indie bands like Arcade Fire you probably haven't heard of them" yeah okay

no such thing, people enjoy what they enjoy

no

the best bands are the ones that can adapt, I don't want to hear the same kind of album over and over; i judge by albums

don't have one but I probably listen to hip-hop most

don't have one

subconsciously yeah, I say people can enjoy what they enjoy but some things have become so cliche it's cringe worthy "I only listen to real rock/metal from the 70s and 80s" it just seems that they do this to fit into some sort of niche; and of course the compulsory Iron Maiden t-shirt or some ****
    then the generic "I like pop punk" "I only listen to stuff if it got in the charts" etc. at least they aren't as annoying as "DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF ROCK DIE **** YEAH"

they must like dancing that's cool

no

I use shuffle a lot, never use repeat of any kind

pretty good

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I'm definitely a middle-grounder. I have no leaning whatsoever, if I like a song I like it - chances are I won't even know whether it's mainstream or not just by hearing it, because I'm really not far enough into the music scene to tell the difference.

I think they're probably casual listeners who only really get into what's popular through what is most easily exposed to them.

Dirty hippies.

Rap.

I don't really understand this question.

As hard as I try not to, I do compare them to their previous work. I think when you become a fan of an artist you begin to expect certain things from them, and it's really disappointing if they fall short.

people who hate a genre

My taste is honestly so varied, I couldn't pick a type.

Country music and rap "music" duke it out for top billing here.

No, never. People like what they like, and it really annoys me when people do it to me.

Why? There's so much more to music, it can make you feel other things.

No, but I've had a few people take me under theirs just recently lol. Both Patchisou Yutohru and bobandbill have tried (with varying levels of success) to introduce me to new music I would never have heard of otherwise.

I use shuffle most. It's most convenient when driving.

Varied and rare.

Usually I try and flesh out answers and make them interesting, but I really couldn't think of anything further than what I wrote. I don't listen to music that often, which I've only recently come to understand is quite a rarity, particularly among people our age.

Years
    Are you a mainstreamer, an indie rocker, or are you somewhere in the middle?
    Although I listen to music regardless of its popularity, looking through my music library I guess I'm more on the indie side than the mainstream one.

People who only listen to mainstream music do not appreciate music to its fullest extent. If your music taste is decided by what has sold the most copies and what the top 40 stations feed you then you do not care for music.

That's not to say they don't enjoy music, though. If people only want to listen to mainstream music then good on them. After all, the fundamental purpose of music is to entertain us. I still think they're definitely missing out on such an amazing aspect of life in appreciating music, however. That, and I'm a pretty boring person to someone who isn't interested in music so yeah haha

Close-minded. People who just happen to only have underground music in their music library I don't think are close-minded. Those that shun music because it is popular are almost as disinterested in music as top 40 lovers though. Again, music is meant for enjoyment so if they get enjoyment out of having an obscure music taste then that's fine by me. I think you need to have an open mind to reap the full benefits of music, though.

Subjective, of course. There are bad tastes in music but it's all subjective to the listener. The further you stray from the artists I listen to, the worse your music taste is (and vice versa from your point of view).

Generally I'm cool with whatever people want to listen to. There are a few bands that I listen to that definitely aren't cool in the indie crowd I sometimes hang with, so I'm not going to discard somebody's music cred based on one artist. Unless that artist is Nickelback, but I've yet to encounter someone who listens beyond top 40 music that likes Nickelback so I don't think I'll ever have that problem.

Of course, there are some bands which make me go "WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE THIS BAND?" and such, like Blink 182 and The Smiths.

"Their new album isn't as good as their past work": Do you compare artists to themselves, or do you treat each album or song as a separate piece of work?
    I'm not going to enjoy an album less because it's not as good as another release by that artist. With that being said, yeah, I love comparing albums against one another. With a good artist it's hard to pick your favourites. Good example: I constantly compare Beach House's Teen Dream to their past two albums. I didn't enjoy it as much as their first two but it's an amazing album which remains five stars in my eyes. I'm more of an album sort of person but sometimes I'll do it with the songs on the record too.

Complete this sentence: People who hate a genre as a whole are close-minded (as in it's alright to generalise, like in general I don't enjoy listening to metal music, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to try it out if someone recommended it to me - if you discount an artist simply because they're rap or they're country you're missing out).

I'm not sure what the technical terms for all the bands in my library are, I pretty much call everything "60s" or "piano" or "post-rock" or whatever, not neo-sludge-grime-shoe-metal or anything (not that I listen to n-s-g-s-m haha).

But yeah, being super general, I'd say.. just indie. I can't really choose between dream-pop, folk (new folk, not 60s folk), chillwave and countless other genres. If I had to pick one I'd go..... dream-pop, like Beach House and theredsunband and all that.

I'd probably have to say... bad 70s and 80s music. That era had awesome artists (Led Zeppelin, Sonic Youth etc.) but some of the pop music was atrocious. It also happens to be exactly what they play at work, non-stop :S

"Your taste in music sucks": Do you pass this observation over people often?
    Subconsciously I'm sure, but it doesn't really bother me. People can listen to what they want to and if they enjoy it then I'm happy for them. I never point it out though, even if somebody bags my music taste. Music's an extremely personal thing. I might pick on certain artists but never a person's music taste as a whole.

You're missing out on some amazing stuff but whatever XD

Making people mix CDs is one of my favourite activities. I've made people countless mix CDs if they have a somewhat similar taste to what I do. Even if me and somebody else only have a few bands in common I'll make recommendations based off what I think they'd like. People tell me about good bands too, it's a great thing.

I've never tried to control somebody's music taste though, haha. People are always really appreciative when you make them a mix CD when it's really not a big deal (it's still nice though XD).

I don't really use any of them often. Repeat One I've barely used at all, only if there's one song I need to hear like twenty times in a row (not often but it does happen). Shuffle I only really use when I'm driving and can't decide what to listen to. Repeat All I never use (some albums just leave a lasting impression after you finish them that can only be felt with silence after finishing. If you go straight back into the first song then you lose that).

Diverse but selective. I'm very selective with what I listen to, to the point where I constantly go through and delete albums I either don't like, have grown out of or just don't enjoy enough to listen to regularly. I only have 115 artists in my library (and 250-something albums) because I'll take out what I don't like. At the same time, what has made it through to my library I really enjoy - I could listen to any release on my iPod right now and love it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2016
    Somewhere in between , I'm not leaning towards everything.

I think they have yet to experience music's full potential. Can't blame most of them , as it is exposed to people everyday.

What is your opinion of people who strictly listen to underground?
    I'm glad they listen to real music , but it's kind of close-minded. C'mon , there are a few good mainstream bands there.

Those people who hate 70's and 80's music just because it's "old" (music I'm talking about : Aerosmith , ACDC , Led Zeppelin , etc....)

Justin Bieber and all of those Disney Stars. They could poison one's taste because of supposedly "catchy" music.

To themselves. Because I think there is only one way : to get better.

Biased.

Heavy Metal. Because I see the skills in the massive guitar shredding. But I don't like most nu-metal.

2000's pop. Most of them are talentless in my opinion , and only get famous due to looks.

Only in my thoughts. I'm like a black sheep to my age in terms of music taste. Most people my age listen to : Justin Bieber , Taylor Swift , etc...
    I'm the kind who listens to : Aerosmith , Metallica , ACDC , Led Zeppelin , Megadeth etc...

Sure that's ok , but you'll have to explore REAL music.

No.

Repeat One vs Shuffle vs Repeat All: Which one do you use the most?Which one do you use the least?
    I use Repeat All the most because I don't like shuffling. I use Repeat One the least.

Good , but I think I might have to explore music more as I'm just 13.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    ohhhhhh lord.

I'd say that I'm somewhere in the middle because I don't like what I listen to being influenced by how well-known it is. I like what I like and if it happens to be mainstream then that's fine, and if it's the most indie stuff ever then that's fine too. I don't consider listening to mainstream to be a bad thing in any way, unless you're completely fed by it and don't really develop a musical taste at all.

Before I say anything here, know that I will not ever judge someone based on their music taste. Anyway, in terms of music and just music, I don't really like it. It's fine to not have any real interest in music but people who strictly listen to mainstream things tend to try to say that they have a musical taste which I really don't buy. People who have a music taste will generally go looking for what they want to hear rather than having it fed to them. It kinda seems like the lazy approach to enjoying music, which frustrates me for their sake since a little effort will go a really long way when it comes to finding new material.

It depends really. On one hand I respect it because it takes a lot of effort in the first place to actually dig out this music but I start to lose that respect when people listen to it because it's underground. That tends to breed music elitists who take the standpoint of "my music is better because no-one really knows it" which is something I can't at all stand. Sometimes I find that these sort of people also tend to be very quick to take digs at people who listen to more popular stuff; another thing which really grinds my gears.

I guess it'd be a music taste which is absolutely and exclusively confined to one genre, especially if in this one genre they only listen to a few big bands and yet claim to completely love it or whatever. It's so boring and restrictive and often leads to people who, like the above, are quick to look down on people who listen to other stuff. Another huge thing I can't stand is that people get closed-minded, so if you're trying to share something you enjoyed with them which is outside of their main genre, they'll judge it before they even hear any of it.

If anything, it'd be the artists manufactured to please generic teens. But really if it's just one or two of these artists in a library of other stuff I'll turn a blind eye to it and pass it off as genuine enjoyment rather than mindless bandwagoning (is that even a word lol).

I look for consistency in an artist. Note that by this, I don't mean that all of their work should be the same. Evolution and invention are keys to an artist's success after all, and it gives listeners something nice to work with. But when an artist "sells out", I tend to revert back to their older stuff and all that. I don't really know if that answers the question lol. ;;

probably not looking hard enough, or just completely ignorant to the genre and far too biased to come up with a decent opinion. Major genres are so incredibly expansive that I find it impossible to believe that there could be someone who hates the entirety of a genre. There must be something in there somewhere which they can enjoy. I know that I've never found a major genre which I simply couldn't get along with.

It varies usually but it's been electronic (as a major genre) for a very long time now, so I guess I'd go with that. If you want to dig into subgenres it'd probably overall be house, mostly progressive. DnB is also pretty great too and I recently discovered something I can't really call much other than glitch (I think that's a proper name now?) which I was really into, although don't have enough of. D;

Of all the ones I've gone into, it's probably power metal. It just seems to have generally tacky, boring themes to me and half the time forms some awkward speedfest which, although it's impressive at first, gets simply annoying. There are a couple of exceptions to this though and what I've said here is probably pretty biased anyway. As for other genres I don't really like, they'd be some prog metal as well as deathcore and nu-metal. It's kinda ironic since metal as a whole major genre is one of my favourites!

Not really. I don't think most people care about what I think of their music taste and it takes quite a lot for me to think that someone has a really bad music taste anyway. Generally people will have a musical taste refined enough to be at least respectable or no music taste at all, which is fine by me.

Sure. Being someone who has never really drawn very much inspiration or emotion from music for whatever reason, I tend to go with the "listen to whatever the hell you feel like listening to" approach. However, the only listening to a certain type of music part bugs me quite a lot here; see my earlier answer about people into one single genre.

"Better" is subjective. I don't try to change music taste to my own since that's not really fair imo, but I do often tell people about music I've heard and play it to them to see if they like it. But if not then that's fine too and I won't try to do anything about it. I don't like the idea of trying to change what someone listens to, really, since I don't think they'd enjoy it as much if it's imposed on them, assuming they even decided to listen to it anyway. Individuality is great.

I'm mostly on Repeat All because I like listening to entire albums the whole way through, especially if I've only just got it. But sometimes I feel like a variety of an artist's music in which case I'll just Shuffle it all and see what I come up with. Repeat One is pretty rare since I don't often find one individual song I'll just spam for ages; I only ever get whole albums so I'd rather listen to the rest of it.

Unbiased and individual, two things which I'm really proud of. I don't let a song's genre or popularity influence what I think of it; I'd much rather find music through searching for it myself and stumbling upon it by chance, or being told about it by a friend, than listen to it because everyone else is listening to it.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    I guess I'm kinda somewhere in the middle, but leaning towards mainstream. I listen to a lot of mainstream, but also to a lot genres most people haven't even heard of. (And no, I'm not talking about one of the many rock sub-genres)

I don't judge people by that. I mean, mainstream wouldn't be mainstream if the majority didn't like it, right?

Like I said before, I don't judge people by that. I do wonder why they don't listen to anything mainstream though.

Uhm, depressing or overly aggresive songs. I also don't like music where the vocalists scream a lot.

nope, not specifically though. But 9 times out of 10, it is the most famous artist that gets people into a specific genre.
    ...This is what you meant, right?

"Their new album isn't as good as their past work:" Do you compare artists to themselves, or do you treat each album or song as a separate piece of work? I sometimes compare artists to themselves, but most of the times I compare an artist's work with other songs released around the same time.

people who probably never heard a good song of that genre.

Latin.

Metal.

Hmm... Though I've met a lot of people who listen to music I don't like at all, I'll never say they're taste "sucks"

If the person saying that would happen to be a cute girl, then I'd probably ask her out. XD I'd ask what kinds of genres he/she's into, and compare that with the music I listen to.

Nope, but I often ask people their opinion about songs from genres they don't usually listen to. And I also try to find songs from those genres they would like.

Shuffle, because my taste in music is quite diverse, and I usually don't like to listen to a specific genre/artist for a whole while.
    Repeat one can get boring/annoying after a while.
    I never use Repeat all.

Diverse and uplifting. Music that makes you either wants to dance or just to sit back and relax.

Back