• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

must update this soon

moments.

quixotic
Years
i made a comment before and then lost it cause of internet issues so this will be essentially the same stuff, but lazy edition

creep.png
Firstly, nearly everything about this piece is a step up from what you've been producing in the past. I haven't seen much art from you (not pixel/Phoenix Rising) recently, so I assume you haven't been doing a whole lot, but this is definitely an improvement.

Only thing that bugs me about this tag are the vertical crops either side of the focal. I appreciate them and see what you were going for, but for me personally, I feel it interrupts the flow a little bit. If you incorporated some more crops into effects, made it more geometric and angular, it would definitely work really well, but for me, feels a little awkward.

Also, that red 'U' shaped thing to the left of focal, tone it down or remove. <3
But yeah, use of textures is really good, colours are good, composition is good. The only other thing I can think of is possibly a few more shadows in the background and highlights on focal to make it pop more, but honestly, it is pretty damn good as it is.

As for the pixel art, you know I'm not a pixel artist, and using the very limited knowledge I have, I can recognise this as technically very good, and aesthetically very good. The only thing I could mention is that as it was used as a graphics piece, (ToTW) that adding more graphic elements to enhance your pixel art could be interesting. A sort of cross media type thing. Adding some like wind blowing, or some texturing or something like that as post in Photoshop would be pretty cool. But again, just nitpicking really.

So yeah, good job on it all! ;D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Thanks man. That battle ended 7-2. Against a Fringe tutor. And I think I'll try some stuff with pixel tags, though I'm trying to get the use of pixel art more respected in the tagging world. I'll see what I can churn out.

I know this is amazing, but I'm working on some digi-painting. This is subject to change, so let me know what I can do. I'll give you two versions.

Preview
o6xyd1.png

Spoiler:

or
Spoiler:

moments.

quixotic
Years
Pixel art is already highly respected in the tagging world, there just aren't many artists who do it, and do it well. It's a pretty niche field within the tagging community, but there are a couple of guys who have some pretty 'famous' pixel tags.

As for the painting, I'm getting stuck between the vibe of a vector and the vibe of a digi paint. You've got minimal details in shading, particularly the face which is very vector like, but then quite soft, sketchy lines. I think you need to beef up the lines a bit more and work in some more details, or at least more shading. I get what you're going for, but it just feels a little awkward at the moment.
Inverse bokeh is awkward too. I like it, but I don't. It's not adding depth as bokeh is mostly used for, and it feels a little isolated only being in that one area. I think if you get a more even spread, increase how much you've got, it would work well as some foreground effects sort of.

And the second version is better, if only for the darker lines around her eyes, which as mentioned, give it more pop due to the stronger lines which just help anchor it a bit more.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Just got into Heretic on Fringe. They've gotten stricter and kicked some people off the team, so I went ahead and posted an app. I was going to go with Trans. But yeah, they're a bit overly serious.

Here's a new painting.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah sure, go ahead. I have some new stuff to show, but I'm gonna wait till I finish up some battles.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well now that I used a tablet...
Spoiler:

stray.png

And a random sketch of Daenerys and her dragon from Game of Thrones which I'm not sure I'll do anything with.
Spoiler:

This is from a 3 way battle with two art tutors on a big graphics forum, I won by one vote I think. Bit older than the above stuff. Not too great.

balloons2.png

And for anyone interested I threw together a bit of a portfolio site. http://gavintage.com/

I really need to do something about this activity too, jeez.

moments.

quixotic
Years
stray.png
Those distorted/flipped and stacked text is becoming too much of a thing. :3
Anyways, the piece is too empty, both from a lack of effects around the edges, and nearly all of the left side of the canvas, and also because you have a bit too much contrast. At the very least, you need some textures, even if they're faint just to fill it out a bit more.

The stock has decent blending, but those bokeh over the stock in the bottom right feel way too forced, and the lack of variance in colour between all the bokeh in the piece feels cheap. Remove those bottom right bokeh and replace with some other effects to help with blending.

Pretty sure I already gave you CnC on the other tag, but the only thing I'd recommend on that first painting is to get more details and highlight, especially in the eyes. Feels a bit flat, simple and boring to be honest. A few details and highlight will really make it pop and be a lot more appealing.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
New painting. Hopefully it's liked more than the last. Click for larger size.

Last edited:

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Abne, that new piece is gorgeous, though I think there should be more work done to the hair, as well as the dynamics. That's my only gripe, but this looks really good. :)

Back