• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Computer's Errors

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
Years
  • This is a scan from RegClean Pro:
    My Computer's Errors

My goodness! (This is why I need to get a new computer!) I just wanted to share you this because I though it was crazy, but real!

And to moderators, if this thread is not allowed, then please lock it. If not, then keep it unlocked. I read all of the rules.

Guest123_x1

Something doesn't seem quite right with this program:
    *First, the damage level meters are at maximum (red-lined) on all four sections, even though the System related section has just 71, compared to the user profile's whopping 652. My suspicion is that even if just one error was found in a category, it would also red-line the damage meter.
    *When I Googled "regclean pro", a listing from CNET had 14 reviews, with an average of two stars. Most of the reviews were generally bad (1 star).
    *The only plausible reason why ANYBODY would get 461 (or some other high figure) start-up and uninstall errors is if the user downloaded and installed a whole lot of programs and did not remove them properly.
    To check for startup entries in Regedit yourself, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (your user profile) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (system-wide)
    -WARNING: Editing the registry incorrectly can result in serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.

If I were you, I would get another registry utility. jv16 PowerTools Lite would be a good place to start.

Last edited:

Machu Pichu

oddsoul.
    Years
  • If you are having registry issues, try CCleaner. It looks like fake software to me, but if it is legit, I'll eat my shoe. (Not that I actually will, but you know.)

Agrees with this.

You may want to also get a better antivirus program, since most things like this aren't supposed to get through. I'd try AntiVir, avast!, or Spybot Search & Destory.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Rune CCleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Those programs will solve most/all of your issues.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Yeah, that looks like a rouge anti-virus type of program. I would remove it ASAP. Try MalwareBytes. Its really good at removing rouge anti-viruses.

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
  • It only does the basics. I used to rely on Microsoft's programs as my security system but then when I switched over to Mcafee, it found a ton of viruses I hadn't even known where there. In other words, Security Essentials isn't really that reliable.

Zet

Years
  • Use jv16 PowerTools to remove/fix those sorts of errors. RegClean Pro is utter crap and has nothing on other programs that fix those sorts of problems.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It only does the basics. I used to rely on Microsoft's programs as my security system but then when I switched over to Mcafee, it found a ton of viruses I hadn't even known where there. In other words, Security Essentials isn't really that reliable.

Those are most likely false positives, which McAfee has a hilarious history of doing - twice in the past three years they've managed to render computers unable to boot by pushing out a bad update.

McAfee, like Norton and most other paid anti-virus software are no better, and in most cases worse (With the exception of NOD32 and the premium version of MalwareBytes), than using free software like Microsoft Security Essentials. I've known a lot of competent sysadmins and other people in the industry to lambast these awful programs.

Moreover, they're also very badly made and consume far too much of your computer's resources doing whatever the hell they're trying to do.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • If your going to use a paid AV use Kaperskey (I think I mispelled this, but w/e)

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years
  • Paid AV, Panda Gold or AVG, Avast is pretty good too. . . And Avira.
    I use none though, just the good ol' firewall x3

Kapersky and MCfee. . . Idk about those, I had MCfee on a stock Windows Vista lappy (Yeah I know, fail xD) and really, 230mb of ram plus the 800mb that Vista was using is untolerable. . .

Anyways, that seems pretty fake to me. I had a 8 year old install of XP that has never seen the light of a reg cleaner and it only had 400 problems in total.

Get rid of that thing and get RegCure or CCleaner (Though it doesn't pick up many problems)

Guest123_x1

Get rid of that thing and get RegCure or CCleaner (Though it doesn't pick up many problems)
    I would stay away from RegCure. RegCure is made by ParetoLogic, a shady company notorious for their antivirus program and XoftSpy. I had to fix a computer for someone who purchased the ParetoLogic antivirus program, and said computer also ended up getting the rogue "AntiVirus 2010", which screwed up the system so badly, I had to wipe it and restore it from the restore discs.

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years

• I would stay away from RegCure. RegCure is made by ParetoLogic, a shady company notorious for their antivirus program and XoftSpy. I had to fix a computer for someone who purchased the ParetoLogic antivirus program, and said computer also ended up getting the rogue "AntiVirus 2010", which screwed up the system so badly, I had to wipe it and restore it from the restore discs.

Actually, read up. . . I took up on RegCure cuz' of what I've read, according to many webpages it is VERY popular and works REALLY well.

Been usin it for a few months, hasn't given me any problems. Atleast not yet, recommending what I've used and seems to work lol.

Last edited:

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
  • Those are most likely false positives, which McAfee has a hilarious history of doing - twice in the past three years they've managed to render computers unable to boot by pushing out a bad update.

McAfee, like Norton and most other paid anti-virus software are no better, and in most cases worse (With the exception of NOD32 and the premium version of MalwareBytes), than using free software like Microsoft Security Essentials. I've known a lot of competent sysadmins and other people in the industry to lambast these awful programs.

Moreover, they're also very badly made and consume far too much of your computer's resources doing whatever the hell they're trying to do.
    I wasn't really saying anything about paid AVs as there are many good free ones (MalwareBytes instantly comes to mind). I was just saying that SE's detection rates aren't all that good. I have an example here: https://www.geek.com/articles/geek-...sentials-bombs-on-first-2011-av-test-2011055/ On here, most of SE's detection rates are under the average of all the AVs that they tested. About the false positives, my story is very interesting. Back before I switched to Mcafee, I ran a scan in SE and it found 3 viruses, one being a rouge and two being trojans. Later when I got Mcafee it found 4 trojans. This was about a week after I did the scan in SE. That made a total of seven false positives (or viruses) in my computer and Mcafee got the ones SE didn't. That may not be a good thing, but at least I know it catches more.

Last edited:

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
  • Agrees with this.

You may want to also get a better antivirus program, since most things like this aren't supposed to get through. I'd try AntiVir, avast!, or Spybot Search & Destory.
    That's the thing. I have CA Security Suite. They're a commercial and paid program for antiviruses, so they are supposed to be one of the best.

I already use CCleaner. I guess another clean of the system wouldn't hurt it!:)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I wasn't really saying anything about paid AVs as there are many good free ones (MalwareBytes instantly comes to mind). I was just saying that SE's detection rates aren't all that good. I have an example here: https://www.geek.com/articles/geek-...sentials-bombs-on-first-2011-av-test-2011055/ On here, most of SE's detection rates are under the average of all the AVs that they tested. About the false positives, my story is very interesting. Back before I switched to Mcafee, I ran a scan in SE and it found 3 viruses, one being a rouge and two being trojans. Later when I got Mcafee it found 4 trojans. This was about a week after I did the scan in SE. That made a total of seven false positives (or viruses) in my computer and Mcafee got the ones SE didn't. That may not be a good thing, but at least I know it catches more.

You should probably note that those guys don't even certify McAfee because it's a piece of ****.

Years
  • That's the thing. I have CA Security Suite. They're a commercial and paid program for antiviruses, so they are supposed to be one of the best.

I already use CCleaner. I guess another clean of the system wouldn't hurt it!:)

I hate to break it to you, but in my experience (and that of many others) CA is NOT one of the best Security Suites. It's one of the heaviest and most ineffective that I've seen in a long time. Sorry. :disappointed:

Everyone's going to have differing opinions on AVs, but my vote at the moment goes to Kaspersky IS 2012 and Norton IS 2011 for the time being. The problem is that these programs go up and down in terms of effectiveness and system impact. Norton pre-2010 was a horrible product. About 10 years ago, CA (aka VET) was a good product. Even the venerable ESET/NOD is falling behind what it used to be (plus, the Australia/New Zealand distributors are a pack of di ...horrible people.. :P)

Last edited:

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years
  • I hate to break it to you, but in my experience (and that of many others) CA is NOT one of the best Security Suites. It's one of the heaviest and most ineffective that I've seen in a long time. Sorry. :disappointed:

Everyone's going to have differing opinions on AVs, but my vote at the moment goes to Kaspersky IS 2012 and Norton IS 2011 for the time being. The problem is that these programs go up and down in terms of effectiveness and system impact. Norton pre-2010 was a horrible product. About 10 years ago, CA (aka VET) was a good product. Even the venerable ESET/NOD is falling behind what it used to be (plus, the Australia/New Zealand distributors are a pack of di ...horrible people.. :P)

Norton no longer kills your PC when you uninstall it?!
    I remember believing Norton was the best. . . . Until my subscription ended. . . And I uninstalled it to get a free AV for the time being. . . My PC died. . . System restore fixed it, but left errors. . . . I though it was a fluke, till I reformated. . . Installed Norton again for 6 months, and then uninstalled it, killed it again.

Idk, ever since I haven't trusted Norton, though Kapersky. . . Hmmmm, I haven't tried it, BUT! If I need an AV I'll stick to Avira or AVG (Full or Free) they are both pretty good.

Years
  • Norton no longer kills your PC when you uninstall it?!
    I remember believing Norton was the best. . . . Until my subscription ended. . . And I uninstalled it to get a free AV for the time being. . . My PC died. . . System restore fixed it, but left errors. . . . I though it was a fluke, till I reformated. . . Installed Norton again for 6 months, and then uninstalled it, killed it again.
    I haven't seen 2010 or 2011 kill a machine yet, but you should still be using the dedicated removal tool for ANY AV if it exists. Earlier versions were notorious for blocking all traffic or just trashing installs when uninstalled.

Idk, ever since I haven't trusted Norton, though Kapersky. . . Hmmmm, I haven't tried it, BUT! If I need an AV I'll stick to Avira or AVG (Full or Free) they are both pretty good.

AVG isn't terribly good. It was okay about 5 years ago, but as of version 7/8 went downhill drastically. Avira is still okay. A little paranoid and slows file access, but it has a reasonable catch rate.

Back