• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Competitive Team (OU)

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    Hey all, I have been wanting to make a competitive team for for Wi-Fi battling.

I'd like for you guys to help me with w/e flaws my team may have or if it needs anything else. This includes different moves, potential replacements, etc.

I'm open to your suggestions and criticism, don't mind me.

I'm finally moving out this Sunday, and my roommate has Action Replay DS. So I asked him if I could borrow it for a few days to experiment with my Diamond, and he said he didn't mind.

I started experimenting in Shoddy with different teams and chose this one because I liked it the most and it won me more matches:

Alakazam @ Life Orb
    Trait: Synchronize
    Nature: Timid
    EVs:
    252 SpA/ 6 SpD/ 252 Spe
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Signal Beam
    - Calm Mind

Personally, I know for a fact that if my Alakazam manages to use at least one Calm Mind, and isn't under a status condition, Psychic or Focus Blast can at least take out one or two Pokemon. The only move that gives me trouble here is Focus Blast, due to 80% accuracy, sometimes it's hard to rely on it.

Weavile @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 42 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 216 Spe
    - Night Slash
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Punch
    - Brick Break

I modified this revenge Killer Weavile and replaced Ice Shard with Ice Punch because I personally like Punch more, and included Brick Break in case I ever run into a Rock type or a Steel Type.

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 194 Spe/ 64 Atk/ 252 SpA
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Close Combat
    - Hidden Power (Ice)

This is one of my favorites, since it's good move set along with it's nature and EV's help me handle a diverse amount of Pokemon types. I prefer Flamethrower over Fire Blast any day, more accuracy helps and the 40 damage less won't mind thanks to his SpA Ev's.

Gliscor @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs 252 Hp/ 42 Def/ 216 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt
    - Roost

My stallbreaker and second favorite, the Earthquake/Taunt/Roost combo is great if played correctly, and I also like to Taunt and then use U-Turn for a decent effect, depending on the enemy Pokemon.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Liquid Ooze
    Nature: Calm
    EVs:
    252 Hp/ 122 Def/ 136 SpD
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Tentacruel is my support, sometimes I switch to him so I can blow away Spikes/Stealth rock with Rapid Spin and then attack or switch and use Toxic Spikes and then attack, it depends on what I'm facing, really.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs:
    Def 6/ 252 Spe/ 252 Spa
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power (Ice)
    - Baton Pass

This girl is a freaking murder machine. I've seen her take out a decent amount of Pokemon thanks to Thunderbolt or Hidden Power (Ice) with insane speed EV's. The only drawback is that sometimes people switch out to a Pokemon type that is resistant to Thunderbolt, which is the attack I use the most, forcing me to switch from time to time and costing me damage on my next Pokemon.

Overall, the big flaw this team has is that a good Ground type could take out Tentacruel, Infernape and Jolteon, but I usually switch to Gliscor. The only other threat is a Water type, a good one like Gyarados or Starmie, could OHKO or 2HkO either Infernape or Gliscor if I don't switch to someone like Tentacruel.

Well, that's all I have for now. So please, your thoughts. :D

Last edited:

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
    Hey all, I have been wanting to make a competitive team for for Wi-Fi battling.

I'd like for you guys to help me with w/e flaws my team may have or if it needs anything else. This includes different moves, potential replacements, etc.

I'm open to your suggestions and criticism, don't mind me.

I'm finally moving out this Sunday, and my roommate has Action Replay DS. So I asked him if I could borrow it for a few days to experiment with my Diamond, and he said he didn't mind.

I started experimenting in Shoddy with different teams and chose this one because I liked it the most and it won me more matches:

Alakazam @ Choice Scarf/Specs
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 SpA/ 6 SpD/ 252 Spe
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Signal Beam
    - Trick

If you're using him as a lead, you're going to want to cause common bulky leads a problem, so I would go for a choice item and replace a move with Trick. You are Roar bait. I prefer this Zam set. Also consider other moves over Focus Blast for general team coverage.

Personally, I know for a fact that if my Alakazam manages to use at least one Calm Mind, and isn't under a status condition, Psychic or Focus Blast can at least take out one or two Pokemon. The only move that gives me trouble here is Focus Blast, due to 80% accuracy, sometimes it's hard to rely on it.

Weavile @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 42 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 216 Spe
    - Night Slash
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Punch/Ice Shad
    - Brick Break/Ice Shard

Weavile takes a big ouch from Stealth Rock when he is not your lead. With no priority move he isn't going to be able to even dent things. With Vacuum Wave, Mach Punch AND Bullet Punch so common these days, this thing is eaten by Lucario, Metagross, Breloom, Infernape, and so many more especially with such poor defenses. IMO swap him altogether or use him as a lead?

I modified this revenge Killer Weavile and replaced Ice Shard with Ice Punch because I personally like Punch more, and included Brick Break in case I ever run into a Rock type or a Steel Type.

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 194 Spe/ 64 Atk/ 252 SpA
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Close Combat
    - Hidden Power (Ice)

Ok.

This is one of my favorites, since it's good move set along with it's nature and EV's help me handle a diverse amount of Pokemon types. I prefer Flamethrower over Fire Blast any day, more accuracy helps and the 40 damage less won't mind thanks to his SpA Ev's.

Gliscor @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs 252 Hp/ 42 Def/ 216 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt/Stealth Rock
    - Roost

Ok too. More offensive EVs maybe? Your team lacks Stealth Rock.

My stallbreaker and second favorite, the Earthquake/Taunt/Roost combo is great if played correctly, and I also like to Taunt and then use U-Turn for a decent effect, depending on the enemy Pokemon.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Liquid Ooze
    Nature: Calm/Bold
    EVs: 252 Hp/ 122 Def/ 136 SpD
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin

Consider bold for more physical defending support. Once Gliscor is down, even paralysed or put to sleep, your team is sweep bait and has trouble with Physical Lucario if he finds a gap to SD.

Tentacruel is my support, sometimes I switch to him so I can blow away Spikes/Stealth rock with Rapid Spin and then attack or switch and use Toxic Spikes and then attack, it depends on what I'm facing, really.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: Def 6/ 252 Spe/ 252 Spa
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power (Ice)
    - Baton Pass

Very predictable. I'm not sure dry passing fits too well with the team, but sure it's ok.

This girl is a freaking murder machine. I've seen her take out a decent amount of Pokemon thanks to Thunderbolt or Hidden Power (Ice) with insane speed EV's. The only drawback is that sometimes people switch out to a Pokemon type that is resistant to Thunderbolt, which is the attack I use the most, forcing me to switch from time to time and costing me damage on my next Pokemon.

Overall, the big flaw this team has is that a good Ground type could take out Tentacruel, Infernape and Jolteon, but I usually switch to Gliscor. The only other threat is a Water type, a good one like Gyarados or Starmie, could OHKO or 2HkO either Infernape or Gliscor if I don't switch to someone like Tentacruel.

Well, that's all I have for now. So please, your thoughts. :D
    My opinions in bold, check it out :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    Not stopping by for a full rate but remove LO on Gliscor. Losing 10% of your health on a U-turn is pointless, not to mention harmful.

Years
    you could teach your alakazam energy ball instead of signal beam to help cover your ground weakness but other than that i like your team

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Alone BulkySwordDance-Scizor in combo with Stealth Rock destroys the whole team replace Jolteon with Rotom-H scarfer, because your team is very weak to Rock Polish-Rhyperior/Agility-Metagross.

KodiakBlackout

Espionage Expert
    Years
    You could swap the Baton Pass on Jolteon for another move that gives coverage over types that you may be weak against currently. It isn't doing much there, takes up a move slot, and its unlikely the opponent will try to trap your Jolteon in play.
    You could even try to fit Wish into the moveset, as a form of recovery for not only Jolteon but also anyone else who switches in after Wish has been used.
    Just my opinion.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    You could swap the Baton Pass on Jolteon for another move that gives coverage over types that you may be weak against currently. It isn't doing much there, takes up a move slot, and its unlikely the opponent will try to trap your Jolteon in play.
    You could even try to fit Wish into the moveset, as a form of recovery for not only Jolteon but also anyone else who switches in after Wish has been used.
    Just my opinion.

Dry-passing is useful for scouting. Baton Pass isn't used to "escape". Since switching always goes first, the opponent will reveal their next pokemon to you and you can switch to an appropriate counter since Baton Pass acts as a move.

It's actually a really neat use of the move.

KodiakBlackout

Espionage Expert
    Years
    Dry-passing is useful for scouting. Baton Pass isn't used to "escape". Since switching always goes first, the opponent will reveal their next pokemon to you and you can switch to an appropriate counter since Baton Pass acts as a move.

It's actually a really neat use of the move.

Oh yeah, sorry i didn't realise Baton Pass went first.
    Yeah ignore me :P.

Back