• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first few maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    Hey, I am new to mapping and I just want to see what people thing about some of the maps that I have made. One things I want to say is that I try to maintain the feel of the original game in my maps, and I dont use very many custom tiles because of it.

Here are the examples:

The first town from the hack I am working on:
    Brooktown.jpg

The first route:
    Route1.jpg

The second town:
    Sparza.jpg

The second route:
    Route2.jpg

The third town:
    Emho.jpg

Credit to Crashink for the rombase (my bad for not adding it earlier)

Last edited:

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • The maps are pretty nice, though you used the wrong roof on the gym, unless you change the door roof.
    Some are a bit empty, and the flowers should go diagonally. Plus your using the wrong floor tiles, they should be the ones with the little lines.
    They are good for first trys.

You're also using my rombase, credit is needed.

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    Voila The Mapping is quite good keep up the good work :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    Hey, here are some new maps (and some old, ported over to a new rombase [credit to PHO (Green Charizard and Saurav)])

The first town:
    Brook_town.jpg

The first route:
    Route1.jpg

The second town:
    Sparza.jpg

The second route:
    route2.jpg

The third town:
    prato.jpg

The third route (I am not quite done with the forest that will be there Now I am done):
    route3.jpg

The forest:
    Tairenforest.jpg

The fourth town:
    Emho.jpg

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • hey bro....
    On the last map you need to go with a different bridge...
    It just looks wrong!
    Also on route 3 the right side of the mountain is messed up...
    Well besides that they look....
    Pretty good....
    Well just keep practicing and it will all turn out!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    That's what i was going to say, do not "outline" them makin them square... Add more trees to make more circle-shaped

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    ok, I will be working on these maps in the next few days, just as soon as i figure out this little problem I have:
    sql-pkfr.png

If anybody knows how to fix this, please help me.

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
    Years
  • I'm guessing that's the edges of two maps, correct?
    Also it may be helpful if you tell us what maps you hacked this over. And if you've used any scripts.

EDIT: As for your maps, in a sense they are correct, you don't "skip" tiles, which is good. But, don't pile houses on top of each other, it's not - right... Edit the tiles if you want to do that, I say. But, try to add interesting features to every map that makes them distinct, and think logically and realistically. Is it common to have a cave in the middle in a town (Caves only tend to appear in massive rock faces)? Or a town built in between and on masses of water? Try to add detail, look at how Nintendo maps and then try and replicate some ideas. Also, as small, little, minor thing - but, in towns don't use the wavy dark blue water, that's "salt water" use the light blue one as that's "fresh water". But, you've got a good starting point, good luck.

Hope that helps.

~GC

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    Yea, that is the edge of two maps. There are no scripts on that map, just some guys, I will try to remove all of the people and see if it makes any difference....And it does not, still exactly the same problem. The maps I hacked over are route 1 and the second town (names escapes me)

as for the caves, those are there because they were erected as shrines to departed legendaries (part of the story line).

The town between the masses of water is there, because it is the water town. Each town in the hack will have a element or type associated, and where possible, I attempt to reflect that element in the town, hence the water.

I will take all of your guys suggestions into account for when I go back and edit the maps, just as soon as I figure out that problem with the maps connecting.

Last edited:

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
    Years
  • There's one thing I can think of try scrolling to the very top of route 1, to make sure you've not just missed a line of tiles, and to the bottom of viridian city.

It could just be a bug, so, you could try importing the maps in a clean ROM and see what it does.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2008
    Well, it worked on a clean rom, so I guess that I will be spending alot of today porting over all of my maps. Thanks alot for helping me to solve that problem.

Caina

Nankurunaisa
    Years
  • Ehr hem....
    Your map looks good... but,

In the 3rd town, it's great, but the building in the upper left corner... the edges of the roof there, you kinda got a map error there.

and the 3rd route... yeah, good, but the mountain below kinda bothers me...

And in the forest, it looks ok. I kinda bothered by that yellow green tree combined. Also, near on the right to it has an error... and on the upper left corner, you kinda got an error there.

Anyways, I like your creativity in your maps. Looks good overall. Errors can be fixed anyway. And I have the same problem with that kind of problem as well...

Au Revoir...

Hackbeginnerdylan

Speakachu!
    Years
  • Ok, i like your maps but i think as others would put it, they are a bit squared.
    I would suggest changing some empty tilesets into some ones that look closley similar to the originals but also gives originality from you.
    But since i am no where near expert I can't give anymore help then that.
    Other then that they look good from my view.

Years
  • love the tiles there really good and really good at mapping i hope you get even better at mapping then you will be a pro at mapping anyway good luck on it i hope i can play this if it will come out then i will play it and tell you how good it is. and second time good luck on it

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    love the tiles there really good and really good at mapping i hope you get even better at mapping then you will be a pro at mapping anyway good luck on it i hope i can play this if it will come out then i will play it and tell you how good it is. and second time good luck on it

Please don't revive threads that are over a month old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back