• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first OFFICIAL pokemon team.

BlueLucario

Cool trainer.
Years
  • Just note. I'm new to the community. I did read the sticky above, as carefully as I could. And I think I should stick with my pokemon team.

I chose really carefully, although most of my pokemon are below the UU tier.
    First, I chose pokemon by type. For starters, I chose a Water, Grass and Fire Type to make things more balanced. Then I chose movesets for them, to suit their stats, and to get rid of any obstacles that get in the way.

I want to start with my pokemon team.

Medicham (252 Attack/ 252 Speed/4 Special Defense)

Jolly Nature ( + Speed - Special Attack)
    Ability: Pure Power
    Item: Choice Band

Movesets

Brick Break
    Psycho cut
    Ice Punch
    ThunderPunch

Purpose : Medicham's offensive power is excellent enough, adding it's ability pure power, and the item Choice Band could be more than enough to OHKO to just about any pokemon that can't resist it. Thunder and Ice punch should take out flying types without any problems.

Roserade (252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Special Defense)

Timid Nature( + Speed - Attack)
    Ability : Natural Cure
    Item: Heat Rock

Movesets

Worry Seed
    Energy Ball
    Synthesis
    Weather Ball

Purpose:
    Roserade will rely on Bronzong and Rapidash's weather attacks to do some damage with Weather Ball. Worry seed will suppress any special ability that would get in the way of victory. Such as : Yanmega's Speed Boost, Spiritomb's Pressure, or Azelf's Levitate. Sunny + Weather is enough to OP Steelix, Skarmory, and maybe a few grass types. Rain + Weather should take out fire types like Infernape. I'm fully aware that a weather reliant pokemon can backfire if not used properly.

Starmie (252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP)

Timid Nature ( + Speed - Attack)
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Item: Choice Specs

Movesets

Psychic
    Surf
    Thunder
    Ice Beam

Purpose: While it's holding the choice specs, and with enough speed, it can do some heavy damage to most pokemon, except Blissey of course. Starmie might rely on Bronzong's Rain Dance to OHKO pokemon with its surf. Rain Dance + Thunder should take out Gyarados with less worries about accuracy. Ice Beam to OHKO most Dragon Types like Salamence.

Rapidash
    (252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 Special Defense)

Jolly
    Nature (+ Speed - Special Attack)
    Ability: Flash fire
    Item : Charcoal.

(Please note that the move sets were derived from Smogon site)

Flare Blitz
    Solarbeam
    Megahorn
    Sunny Day

Purpose: It's going to be my starter pokemon. First I could start off with a Sunny Day, use Roserade as a back up, if needed. Then I could follow up the attack with Flare Blitz. Or if I'm dealing with Water Types, like Starmie or Whiscash, a Solarbeam should suffice.

Bronzong
    - (252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD )

Relaxed Nature. (+ Def - Speed)
    Item: Light Clay
    Abilty: Levitate

Earthquake
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Rain Dance

Purpose :
    I've trained Bronzong, and I was absolutely facsinated with its high physical defense. Rain Dance is designed to weaken Fire Type attacks, and I can follow up by using Light Screen and Reflect. And if Fire Types become a problem, I can switch to Starmie.

NOTE: I might need help in taking advantage of Bronzong's defense.

Lopunny (252 Speed/ 152 HP/8 Attack/ 96 Defense)

Ability - Klutz
    Item - Toxic Orb

Heal Bell
    Switcheroo
    Return
    Healing Wish

Purpose:
    Lopunny is supposed to be the healer/Switcheroo Item holder of the team. Healing Wish is designed to heal a much needed pokemon partner(Like Starmie, if I'm dealing with a Salamence or Garchomp) at the expense of Lopunny's life. I can use Switcheroo, hand my toxic orb to another player, and I could Switcheroo again to take the orb back..

Please also note that I am new to this. And I did read the rules(Again this time). And I apologize to mods if I have done anything wrong. I've been studying competitive battling, so I think it's about time to get serious. And Smogon is a great resource site.

If there's anything I can do to improve my team, or if there is anything wrong, please tell me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    Just note. I'm new to the community. I did read the sticky above, as carefully as I could. And I think I should stick with my pokemon team.

I chose really carefully, although most of my pokemon are below the UU tier.
    First, I chose pokemon by type. For starters, I chose a Water, Grass and Fire Type to make things more balanced. Then I chose movesets for them, to suit their stats, and to get rid of any obstacles that get in the way.

I want to start with my pokemon team.

Medicham (252 Attack/ 252 Speed/4 Special Defense)

Ability: Pure Power
    Item: Choice Band

Movesets

Brick Break
    Psycho cut
    Ice Punch
    ThunderPunch

Purpose : Medicham's offensive power is excellent enough, adding it's ability pure power, and the item Choice Band could be more than enough to OHKO to just about any pokemon that can't resist it. Thunder and Ice punch should take out flying types without any problems.

I guess you could use him, but I recomend someone else for a lead.

Roserade (252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Special Defense)

Timid Nature( + Speed - Attack)
    Ability : Natural Cure
    Item: Heat Rock

Movesets

Worry Seed
    Energy Ball
    Synthesis
    Weather Ball

Replace Heat Rock since your not using Sunny Day with another offencive choice, such as Life Orb. You can keep Worry Seed I guess, but I recomend switching to another attack.

Purpose: Roserade will rely on Bronzong and Rapidash's weather attacks to do some damage with Weather Ball. Worry seed will suppress any special ability that would get in the way of victory. Such as : Yanmega's Speed Boost, Spiritomb's Pressure, or Azelf's Levitate. Sunny + Weather is enough to OP Steelix, Skarmory, and maybe a few grass types. Rain + Weather should take out fire types like Infernape. I'm fully aware that a weather reliant pokemon can backfire if not used properly.

Starmie (252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP)

Timid Nature ( + Speed - Attack)
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Item: Choice Specs

Movesets

Psychic
    Surf
    Thunder
    Ice Beam

(b' ')b

Purpose: While it's holding the choice specs, and with enough speed, it can do some heavy damage to most pokemon, except Blissey of course. Starmie might rely on Bronzong's Rain Dance to OHKO pokemon with its surf. Rain Dance + Thunder should take out Gyarados with less worries about accuracy. Ice Beam to OHKO most Dragon Types like Salamence.

Rapidash (252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 Special Defense)

Jolly Nature (+ Speed - Special Attack)
    Ability: Flash fire
    Item : Charcoal.

(Please note that the move sets were derived from Smogon site)

Flare Blitz
    Solarbeam
    Megahorn
    Sunny Day

Ehh.. it could work, but I suggest switching it to a a more viable pokemon such as Ape or w/e. And replace charcoal since it only effects Flare Blitz.

Purpose: It's going to be my starter pokemon. First I could start off with a Sunny Day, use Roserade as a back up, if needed. Then I could follow up the attack with Flare Blitz. Or if I'm dealing with Water Types, like Starmie or Whiscash, a Solarbeam should suffice.

Bronzong - (252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD )

Relaxed Nature. (+ Def - Speed)
    Item: Light Clay
    Abilty: Levitate

Earthquake
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Rain Dance

Swap your attack and defence EVs. Dual Screen weakens fire attacks enough already, so use Gyro Ball > Rain Dance.

Purpose : I've trained Bronzong, and I was absolutely facsinated with its high physical defense. Rain Dance is designed to weaken Fire Type attacks, and I can follow up by using Light Screen and Reflect. And if Fire Types become a problem, I can switch to Starmie.

NOTE: I might need help in taking advantage of Bronzong's defense.

Lopunny (252 Speed/ 152 HP/8 Attack/ 96 Defense)

Ability - Klutz
    Item - Toxic Orb

Heal Bell
    Switcheroo
    Return
    Healing Wish

Seems like dead weight tbh. If you want a cleric go for Bliss or even Miltank. Other than that pull him in for a lead since Medicham wont be able to do that to well.

Purpose: Lopunny is supposed to be the healer/Switcheroo Item holder of the team. Healing Wish is designed to heal a much needed pokemon partner(Like Starmie, if I'm dealing with a Salamence or Garchomp) at the expense of Lopunny's life. I can use Switcheroo, hand my toxic orb to another player, and I could Switcheroo again to take the orb back..

Please also note that I am new to this. And I did read the rules(Again this time). And I apologize to mods if I have done anything wrong. I've been studying competitive battling, so I think it's about time to get serious. And Smogon is a great resource site.

If there's anything I can do to improve my team, or if there is anything wrong, please tell me.

Team looks DDmence weak. Once Starmie is gone no one is fast enough to hit it and the only thing that can really take a hit from it is Zong, and he cant do anything to it besides set up Reflect. Your weak to most DDers in general actually. I might come back later. I'm tired lol.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I'd opt for Thunderbolt on Starmie, instead of Thunder. Power is nice, but accuracy is nicer. Unless you had a full rain dance team with quite a few electric-move users, it might be better to know your attack is going to land should you need to use the electric move.

I like that you use unique Pokémon, except you didn't pick particularly powerful ones. XD I agree, replace Lopunny with either Miltank or someone that acts as maybe a half defensive/half cleric Pokémon (but I always stress to new battlers not to use Blissey unless absolutely necessary to fill a hole on a team. It's just overly overly used and no one likes seeing it's face anymore, lol.)

You said Rapidash was going to be your lead? When making Rate My Team threads, try to always put your lead first in the post. If Medicham is your lead, that set will work alright, might even be a surprise in an OU battlefield. I suggest replacing Rapidash if she's your lead with something like Infernape, or if you want to be more unique, try using an Anti-Lead like Arcanine.

Arcanine@Lum Berry
    192 HP/252 Atk/64 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate

~Flare Blitz
    ~ExtremeSpeed
    ~Toxic
    ~HP Ground/Overheat

If this is wifi, I understand getting good IVs and getting the Hidden Power you want can be difficult, so opt for Overheat in that case (or if anyone has other options for that set, I'm not entirely familiar with it.) If it's shoddy, then use it, ha.

Last edited:

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I don't have time to do a full-on review, but I will give a few hints of advice as far as Medicham goes:

Personally, I've found that the only decent Choice leads are the Scarfed ones. The Choice Band gives you power, however, it also relies on luck that your opponent's starter is something that will underestimate you. That's the point of a Choiced Pokemon - surprise.

Now, if you were to go with Choice Scarf, it will usually always give you the benefit of the doubt unless you're going up against a faster Scarfed Pokemon. A starter Pokemon should be able to do one of two things: a.) absorb any hit thrown at it, or b.) hit first. Medicham is much more suited for the second, I think. Of course, I'm not all that familiar with Medicham, so my opinion of him is heavily based on theory, not practice.

And about the EVs, it's a general rule of thumb with the 252/252/4 split like this to dump the remaining 4 into HP, not a Defense. If I recall, this goes into affect when a Pokemon's HP is lower than the respective Defense you're focusing on - which happens to be the case with Medicham (60 HP compared to 75 in both Defenses), so switch those remaining EVs from Special Defense to HP, please. :-)

new sonic

Fastest on the land
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    the team is ok.i argree with orlynow?. one question:Why does rapidash have a spattack lowering nature when it has solarbeam?

*WishMaker*

- the guy over the wall
    Years
  • Hmmmm... just a suggestion, you might want to use a Empoleon as an Anti-Lead instead of Rapidash. I use it myself :D

Empoleon @ Wide Lens

156 HP
    100 Spd
    252 SpA

Hydro Pump
    Aqua Jet
    Grass Knot
    Stealth Rock

Counters most leads.
    (e.g; Common Azelf, and Aerodactyl One Hydro Pump depletes it to it's sash, Aqua Jet to finish off.)

Come up with a common lead, and I will probably have a way to counter it.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • And about the EVs, it's a general rule of thumb with the 252/252/4 split like this to dump the remaining 4 into HP, not a Defense. If I recall, this goes into affect when a Pokemon's HP is lower than the respective Defense you're focusing on - which happens to be the case with Medicham (60 HP compared to 75 in both Defenses), so switch those remaining EVs from Special Defense to HP, please. :-)

Going off of what Richard said, the only time you won't dump the remaining into HP is when you run a Life Orb and your max HP will end up being even.

When running Life Orb, you'll want an odd number for the max HP as it will round down the damage the Life Orb does as its recoil.

Also, you're lacking a true lead...I mean Medicham with that kind of set isn't much a lead if you ask me. You want something else that can either set up spikes, stealth rocks, or taunt/sleep the opponent before they can do anything. Leads are generally meant to support the team down the road and may or may not come back later in the battle.

Move Bronzong up to your lead spot and use this set:

Bronzong@Leftovers
    Sassy / Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD (0 Spe IVs)
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Gyro Ball
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Hypnosis/Explosion

YungBeast876

Manga & Anime Artist
    Years
  • Hmm seems to have some potential, since some of the moves are evened out...If you know how to battle it may turn out good....

But yet some things are off. I wouldn't have Thunder on your Starmie (I tried to do that before with a Gyrados). I would switch it with thunderbolt, or maybe even Shock Wave. If you have a variety of moves, not all one type, then maybe it will be a ground vs water, and you may win. I suggest having someone, such as Blissey who has status-inflicting moves such as Shock Wave, all the moves that definetely will get the other pokemon asleep, paralyzed, even burned. If you have a pokemon you want to use as a backup to get your team to a better start then Blissey or Snorlax are pretty good for that. Atleast two pokemon that demolish should be on your team, but all different types of pokemon.
    -Hope I helped!

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2009
    i actually think its not a bad team.

DD Mence is countered w/ Ice punch medicham and Ice beam starmie. maybe stealth rock on bronzong rather than EQ since the guy above said the team is Mence weak, they will think twice before switching in. Stealth rock will also weaken Mence for the ice beam or ice punch KO

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Online now
    i actually think its not a bad team.

DD Mence is countered w/ Ice punch medicham and Ice beam starmie. maybe stealth rock on bronzong rather than EQ since the guy above said the team is Mence weak, they will think twice before switching in. Stealth rock will also weaken Mence for the ice beam or ice punch KO

No, DD Mence outspeeds and OHKO's both Starmie and Medicham, starmie with a scarf beats it but it outspeeds Scarf Medicham.

Bronzong is the best counter here, but he risks a 2hko from a DD LO Outrage (no not a typo) so be sure to give lots of Def evs and make sure it can ko after SR damage with Gyro Ball.

Back