• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first scratch sprite and some fusion

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
  • here are some of them

grass starter[included a different recolor repose] my hack only
    2nd evo---->

fire starter for my hack

normal type pokemon I did [public usage]

here is a practice one public

a fusion of gastly and poliwag [publi]c

above is all old and ugly

New

Last edited:
    Years
  • You have to be patient for some comments and criticism. If you'd like to see criticism,try posting in the Spriter's Showcase Thread.
    Now onto criticism.

I can see on most of your sprites,your outline needs a lot of work and fixing up to do.

on this image you can see that the outline is cleaned up and it is followed a specific pattern. you'll have to do the same for most of your sprites. Cleaning it up is a good start but improving the outline is better.

This sprite can represent most of all of your sprites. You need to shade on most of your sprites, if you need help create a circle on the top left to act as your light source. Go to this link if you'd like a more detailed explanation on shading.
    I can also see that you backwards sprite,meaning you sprite the Fakemon to the opposite side from official sprites. Official Pokémon sprites are sort of facing to the left with an angle to make it look like they're facing their opponent. as long as your lightsource is consistent then there will be nothing wrong.

visual aid:
    Spoiler:

Overall, you need to fix up the outlining and add some shading onto your sprites. Great concepts though.

Mutt19

Kill confuse ray not golbat
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    What the other guy said. But to more extent. Just think for a moment. To succesfully make a good sprite it has to look like what those japanese people who draw the D/P HG/SS even R/S if neccesary. Just think. Does that poorly shaded squirrel thing look like a real pokemon? Well, of course it doesn't. But atleast try. But never mind that. I saw one decent one. That's it. (no, not poliwag/gastly thing. That had terrible eyes.) Wait you said they were HACK sprites? I suppose that would be THE only excuse for having 2nd evo grass starter look like it's on drugs.

Last edited:

DuoRyan

Years
  • My first scratch sprite and some fusion

sorry for my ugly unshaded sprite tell if this is better
    it little bit if not more better than my other sprite
    pal:totodile and lanturn
    Name for #1 um... Serladile? [it was though as soon i writing this. Hehe]
    Name for #2 Serlanaw
    #3= backsprite [sorry if it look weird I try]
    all sprite took 3 hour +

Last edited:
    Years

sorry for my ugly unshaded sprite tell if this is better
    it little bit if not more better than my other sprite
    pal:totodile and lanturn
    Name for #1 um... dolphadile? [it was though as soon i writing this. Hehe]
    Name for #2 dolphinadow
    #3= backsprite [sorry if it look weird I try]
    all sprite took 3 hour +
    We've got a nice tutorial here with a section on backsprites if you'd like to take a look. You've done one step which is to flip your sprite and enlarge it. Now you should go back over it and clean up the outlines where they are too thick or, like on top of the head, the outline has breaks in it.

Your shading is getting better. These sprites have more depth to them. Keep practicing that.

One other thing, about your color use. Sprites don't have completely black outlines. They're shaded, too, like the rest of the sprite so wherever you have light you should lighten the outline. And in reverse, too, where you have shadow you need darker outlines. Perhaps you could try that on the yellow belly area of these sprites since they also have a single color outline.

DuoRyan

Years

here is serplagatr
    I think the shading and smoothness is off but I fix it later
    give me feeback.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years

here is serplagatr
    I think the shading and smoothness is off but I fix it later
    give me feeback.

This is easily your best sprite yet. The outline is still choppy in places and almost entirely black, but I think if you work on it some more it can turn into a good sprite. The shading is good for the most part.
    I'm assuming that dark yellow thing is a tongue of some sort. You might want to work on its shape a little, as well as where it meets the mouth.

DuoRyan

Years
  • water

Grass
    this is very cool
    fire
    - I think this fire starter is ok?

Last edited:
    Years

These are my newest
    give some comment?
    The shading on the first one is much better because even though it's not 100% what you might expect shading to look like it still follows the shape of the sprite and looks more natural. The second one doesn't work for me mostly because you shaded it on both the left and right sides and because it has that protruding bit of orange on the body.

Did I say that this sprite is a solid improvement? It is. The eyes are great and I like the shading on the mouth. It makes the mouth look, you know, like it's got depth. Even though the shading on the rest of the head is a little sparse it's okay.

I might bring the middle leg down a bit since having all the legs on the same imaginary line is a little unnatural. So is having the front legs being identical.

But anyway. It's a cute design, your little cub scout. I like it. Keep at the spriting.

Back