• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first UU team

Kratos184

pokémon heart gold is cool
Years
  • So I just got into competitive play after finishing pokémon X, I was more intrigued by the UU play so I decided to start with that. I have some doubts about my team which I could use some help with, let me introduce them first.

My first UU team

El Tigre (Bouffalant) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    -Substitue
    -Head Charge
    -Earthquake
    -Swords Dance

First I chose this poke for its design, but it has become a really important part of my team. Almost every opponent I face forgets about sap sipper so switching into a grass type attacks (which are often used against Milotic) is a really good setup oppertunity. After that I can boost its attack 1/2 more times and it becomes unstoppable.

My first UU team

Watersnake (Milotic) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Cute Charm
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
    Bold Nature
    -Scald
    -Recover
    -Ice beam
    -Haze

Also chose this pokemon because I thought it was cool. Haze combined with its bulkyness really can prevent almost any pokemon from setting up. Scald to burn combined with recover it pretty nice too and it counters dragon types. It's a great combo with Bouffalant (grass) and Claydol (electric), by switching out when I can predict the attack.

My first UU team

Harry Potter (Mismagius) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    -Nasty Plot
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power Fighting
    -Thunderbolt

Another pokemon I really like personally, other than that it has really good type coverage and it can switch into normal/ground attacks. It's a great counter to snorlax and flying pokemon. I find setting it up properly quite hard though as it is very fragile and a lot of players have dark attacks on a lot of pokemon.

My first UU team

thatsabigbug (heracross) (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Megahorn
    -Stone Edge

Picked it for its type coverage and because I thought that mega-heracross was also in UU. After finding out it wasn't I decided to stick with heracross. It's not quite as fragile as mismagius but certainly just as strong.

My first UU team

beep-boop (bronzong) (-) @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Gyro Ball
    -Earthquake

My physical wall, I start with this pokemon about 50% of the time (other 50% is milotic) to set up my reflect and light screen. Gyro Ball can be really usefull against fast flying pokemon and it always OHKO's mega-aerodactyl. I'm not sure about Earthquake but I figured it'd be the best fourth move.

My first UU team

nightpain (claydol) (-) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Toxic

Added this one to my team because Jolteon used to be a really big problem for me, now I have a nice counter forcing Jolteon to switch out until he's the only one left. I always try to poison as much pokemon as possible with this pokemon and rapid spin is usefull of course. Other than that I don't really know what to do with this pokémon.

So I have a few problems with my team, of the top of my head:
    -Quagsire is a pain for my team
    -Houndoom is the same
    -I feel like claydol isn't useful enough
    -The same goes for Bronzong

Every reation is very welcome!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Milotic should have Marvel Scale as its ability instead of Cute Charm. Infatuation is unreliable since it depends on the opposing Pokémon being the opposite gender and making contact with Milotic, and even then only has a 50/50 chance of activating. Marvel Scale gives it a defensive boost when statused; sounds more useful than Cute Charm to me.

The problem with Claydol and Bronzong is that once they've done their thing, they don't have much else to do and become dead weight, particulary since they lack offensive pressure. I'd keep Claydol and switch it to a dual screens role. Something like:

-Claydol w/Light Clay or Leftovers
    Nature: Sassy/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 4 Defense
    Moves: Rapid Spin, Reflect, Light Screen, Ice Beam

You get both Rapid Spin support and dual screen support out of this, while keeping your Electric immunity. Bronzong is generally dead weight after setting up screens, while Claydol can at least come back in and clear hazards away for you.

Quagsire is difficult to deal with, but it can be dealt with via Grass attacks or just strong special attacks in general. Maybe give Ludicolo a shot (it may also help with your Houndoom problems as well):

-Ludicolo w/Life Orb or Damp Rock
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Giga Drain, Rain Dance, Ice Beam, Surf/Hydro Pump

Last edited:

Kratos184

Years
  • Thank you that is some very constructive feedback! I have been thinking about Ludicolo too but I just don't like it as a pokémon, probably just have to get over myself :P.

I'll go try some things out and let you know, further comments are always welcome!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Another one you could consider is Cradily:

-Cradily w/Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Giga Drain, Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Recover

Kratos184

Years
  • Ludicolo works like a charm, really adds that extra to my team! I also taught claydol extrasensory because toxicroak was now giving my team problems, which worked quite good.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ludicolo works like a charm, really adds that extra to my team! I also taught claydol extrasensory because toxicroak was now giving my team problems, which worked quite good.

Psychic or Earth Power > Extrasensory. Extrasensory is subpar as a STAB move; both Psychic and Earth Power are stronger.

Back