• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Manga drawings

Xano

Medallion master
Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    I've always been a fan of anime, but it's only recently that I have found out how to draw that. Now I'm an absolute beginner, a sensitive person and I don't own a scanner. So please cut me some slack.

The materials I used were a drawing book(not a sketch book), a compass and scale(for guidelines), a 2B pencil and a black faber-castel color pencil.

Spoiler:

Horrible quality, I know.

For those who want to suggest better materials, don't suggest brands. More likely than not it won't be available in my country.

Last edited:

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • These are a first try? much better than my first attempts ever were <w<;;
    you've got a real flair for the hair, but maybe work on facial shape a bit more to progress?

Great start :'D

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    The hair on number 2 is super duper!! I can't draw hair to save my life!

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • The biggest thing that doesn't fit, is the face shape. Try to learn the shape by drawing more faces.
    Also some little fixes could be made to face itself.
    Hair looks very good. That's the thing you can really do. (I usually make too much same kind hair)

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Like others have said this is pretty good for a starting point.

The big thing is the face shape just keep practicing and you will get it right. From one manga artist to another I look forward to your improvement n_n.

Xano

Medallion master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks for all the comments, the face shape is what I hated in the ones I didn't like. The hair covered the face shape in the good ones. Actually, I drew 3 or 4 faces before this, but I'm a beginner anyway. Once I get anatomy, I'll post more.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I recommend a book that is great it has all the basics and much more, it's called: "The Complete Idiots Guide to Drawing Manga". I'm not calling you an idiot by saying that by the way, you can probably buy it on Amazon.com.

Critique: You are great at drawing hair, the shape of their faces needs to be worked on however.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Those are amazing ;D Great work, really great drawings there.

Xano

Medallion master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    I recommend a book that is great it has all the basics and much more, it's called: "The Complete Idiots Guide to Drawing Manga". I'm not calling you an idiot by saying that by the way, you can probably buy it on Amazon.com.

Critique: You are great at drawing hair, the shape of their faces needs to be worked on however.

Sadly, I can't get any how to draw manga books. There are none in retail stores here(or maybe it's there) and I don't have any methods of paying online. But thanks anyway. As for the hair, I wasn't good at it initially. But then I doodled at a friends house and suddenly it came out naturally. I learned from markcrilley's youtube tutorials and mangatutorials.com. Expect more in a few days!

Xano

Medallion master
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    --Update--

Sorry, been busy surfing the internet for drawing anatomy. Apparently nothing worked. Oh well. Here are some colored faces:

Spoiler:

Sorry that I don't have a color for flesh. Here are my attempts at female anatomy:

Spoiler:

Any help for the anatomy is greatly appreciated!

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • The coloured ones are looking good ^^
    As for anatomy; firstly, don't be afraid to make a neck as wide as the head; necks are actually that big. look in the mirror if you don't believe me. Be careful with this, as there is the visual illusion of the necks appearing smaller. So be subtle about it too. It comes with practice.

The method i use to build anatomy uses head sizes. This is just something i memorized a few years back and recall it every time i draw a person, though it's worth constantly building on it and noticing things about the sizes and shapes of peoples bodies for yourself; drawing from life is 100% worth every second and you'll learn it much faster this way. If you don't have real life models and can't find a mirror, i like to use https://www.posemaniacs.com/
    A good practice is using the 30 second poser and drawing each pose within the time limit. very difficult at first, but you soon get used to it and you'll notice the improvement within a few short tries.

So thats the practice and perseverance side of understanding anatomy, heres the technical side; the proportions.
    Everyone is different, and every time you draw someone it'll never be the same twice, so you can pick a constant. The easiest is the head, since that were you, like many other people, have started drawing from.
    There are two general formulae for creating the human form in this way:
    Males:
    Neck is half a head size. Shoulders vary from two head sizes across to one and a half for the less-heroic types. Bellybutton is two head sizes down from the chin, level with the tops of the hip bones. Hips are about 1 headsize across. Forearms are just over one headsize, while the upper arm is just under one headsize. Hands are the size of the side of the face (check on your own if you don't believe me)
    Legs can generally be stylised but a safe bet is two headsizes takes you down to the base of the platella (kneecap) and then another two to the heel. A foot is the same length as a forearm (again, check for yourself)
    Females are the same as males besides the general smoother shapes on all parts (plus the obvious additions, i.e boobs, the top of which will be in line with the armpits give or take.) due to a higher percentage of bodyfat. Shoulders should be about one headsize wide, the waist should remain the same for a male however the hips should widen to two headsizes across.
    With practice it'll become easier and you'll notice what makes the body work and look natural. Try to work with curves while mapping out the skeleton to make the figures look less stiff.

I think thats plenty for you to think about for next time.

Back