• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My mic is quiet.. any ideas why?

Emii

I'll Keep Orbiting For You★
Years
  • I think this is in the right place.. sorry if it's not! ^^;

anyway, I bought a laptop a few months ago, and bought a mic as well. I wanted to start doing some fandubbing. =) so, I plugged in my mic and started recording. But when I play the recording back, I can hardly hear myself at all. I turned everything all the way up, but I still have to scream into it to hear any playback at all. I thought it was just the mic, so I borrowed my brother's, but I had the same problem. and my mic works just fine on his computer.. I've tried everything, but I can't seem to get the playback loud enough.. does anyone know what the problem is?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I'm guessing by 'turning everything up' you went into the volume control and turned the line in/mic level up? if you didn't try that.
    What program are you using? you may need to turn up the input volume in the program.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Make sure your mic is plugged into the right input. Because if it isn't then the laptop is just recording with its on-board mic and that'll make you sound very quiet.

Emii

Years
  • Mhm, I tried all the different combonations of input, and the only ones that worked were still really quiet.. I even double-checked the mic's volume to make sure I didn't forget to turn that up all the way, but it was up all the way.. and all my recording setting on my computer were also up all the way. I'm just really confused as to why it's so quiet.. why any mic is so quiet.. =\

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
    Years
  • If your mic needs drivers be sure to update them :/ Outdated ones may have bugs and stuff that prevent you from getting the maximum out of it

Emii

Years
  • Aha! Thank you soooo much!! I don't know a THING about drivers, so that very well may be the problem. ^^ so.. does anybody know what I need to do about the drivers then? Or how I go about updating the drivers?

Oh yeah, this is the mic that I have, if it makes any difference. But again, it worked on other computers https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/428202/Ativa-AE-6000-Corded-Headset-With/ I dunno if it matters at all, but just in case. =D

Last edited:

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Well your link you posted doesn't work, but I doubt it's the drivers that are the problem.

Years
  • 1. Could be user error. If the microphone isn't built in then make sure it is connected into the right port.

2. You could just be having problems with your speakers. Play music and see if you have touble hearing that too.

3. Google your problem. 90% of the time you can find the solution.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • did you make sure the volume was up on the volume control on the headset?
    Just out of curiosity, are you using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter for this to be used on your computer? I'm not sure if corded headsets for phones will be able to work with the standard mic/ line in jacks on computers due to the fast that those head set send and receive through the same jack.

raging lion

Veteran Player
    Years
  • Volume control alone doesn't support the volume of the mic. I suffered from this alot. Actually the volume of my mic was mute in Xear3D (C-media 3D audio configuration).
    May be the driver you use has low volume of your mic. Go to control panel and locate your volume software (mine is C-media)(don't go to sounds and audio devices if you tried that before). Search for your mic and raise the volume.
    Hope this helps.

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Just out of curiosity, are you using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter for this to be used on your computer?

If you are using a converter, then this may be the problem.

I have experienced this in the past.

Back