• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My new layout -- comments?

Anjoola

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    Hey, I've posted here from time to time, looking for comments and criticism.

So I came out with a new layout for my website:
    https://anjoola.awardspace.com/

What do you think? Is it too flashy, too ugly, or what?
    Also, since compatibility seems to be a big issue; can you FireFox/Mozilla/Opera users tell me if the website looks fine in those browsers?

Thanks!
    Have a good Veterans' Day for those in the States.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    It's simple, eye-candy is cool and it does the job. Of course, the implementation is inefficient. For one, you should make the footer a DIV, even if it's an image. Try to use complete CSS so you won't have to reference to your HTML document for this.

Anjoola

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    It's simple, eye-candy is cool and it does the job. Of course, the implementation is inefficient. For one, you should make the footer a DIV, even if it's an image. Try to use complete CSS so you won't have to reference to your HTML document for this.

Hi, can you elaborate further about this? How would it change if I made the footer image into a DIV?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    instead of the img, you can do this:

Code:
    #footer
    {
          background: url('layout/footer.gif') no-repeat;
          width: 750px;
          height: 98px;
          margin: auto;
    }

And it'll show the footer as it was before this.

Also, I've just noticed that you use JavaScript to filter right clicks; please don't do that.. Especially if anybody can Ctrl-U for your source code. There really is no way to stop anybody from stealing your source or content, because there will always be a way for that to happen.

saul

"My goodness, that's odd."
    Years
    I think I've commented on your site before. Faltzer basically sums it up. It's simple and very pleasing to the eye. :)

And if you ask me, the sheet music is a big, Big, BIG plus! :D - *prints some out*

Anjoola

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    instead of the img, you can do this:

Code:
    #footer
    {
          background: url('layout/footer.gif') no-repeat;
          width: 750px;
          height: 98px;
          margin: auto;
    }

And it'll show the footer as it was before this.

Also, I've just noticed that you use JavaScript to filter right clicks; please don't do that.. Especially if anybody can Ctrl-U for your source code. There really is no way to stop anybody from stealing your source or content, because there will always be a way for that to happen.

For the footer; I included the footer as part of the SSI include so I don't need to update every page, if that's what you mean?

Also, if I disable right clicks, I still CAN prevent some copying since there's some people who don't know the View Source command =D

Thanks for the comments!

I just ran your website through the W3C HTML validation and found three errors but visually looks fine in Firefox.

Hmm, I'll go check those... thanks!

I think I've commented on your site before. Faltzer basically sums it up. It's simple and very pleasing to the eye. :)

And if you ask me, the sheet music is a big, Big, BIG plus! :D - *prints some out*

Thanks again! I'll see about adding more sheets =)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    For the footer; I included the footer as part of the SSI include so I don't need to update every page, if that's what you mean?

No, I meant it really is just a better idea to keep them in a DIV.

Also, if I disable right clicks, I still CAN prevent some copying since there's some people who don't know the View Source command =D

But this is where major problems ie: If I disable JavaScript, your fix is meaningless. If I click 'View' and then 'Page Source', I can also view it.

https://www.sitepoint.com/article/dont-disable-right-click/

If you don't trust that disabling right clicks is just outright ridiculous.

Anjoola

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    No, I meant it really is just a better idea to keep them in a DIV.

But this is where major problems ie: If I disable JavaScript, your fix is meaningless. If I click 'View' and then 'Page Source', I can also view it.

https://www.sitepoint.com/article/dont-disable-right-click/

If you don't trust that disabling right clicks is just outright ridiculous.
    Ohhhh kay, I get what you mean.
    That article is pretty interesting =O

However, I still disable highlighting. Do you suggest enabling that?

wilfred888

ShadowElite
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2014
    Pretty neat layout - Basic, Eye catching.
    I think you need more content however.

Back