• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My personal thoughts: The older the season, the better & it's all going downhill

Are older or newer seasons generally better & is the anime getting better or worse?

• The older seasons are generally better

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • The newer seasons are generally better

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • The anime is getting worse and worse

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • The anime is getting better and better

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2012
    I've encountered that anyone who watched pokemon always seems to like the show at the point that they started watching it. For instance, i grew up watching the first five seasons seeing ash and misty have some kinda thing and then she just leaves. Well, of course now that the main characters have changed its feels like its lost something and is going downhill.

Even though Ash only placed top 16 in the first season and top eight in the 5th, it still seemed as though the story was making progression, imo.

Now new characters isnt so bad but then came the voice changing. There was a voice change in the first season, but it wasnt as dramatic. Picture watching a show for 9 years with the same voices and all-of-a-sudden youre in the middle of the 9th season and the main character seems to have undergone reverse puberty....

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Obviously it did in some aspects,thought it got worse in others.
    In positive sense anime over the years improved in characters getting more development.
    Anime wasn't anymore centered mostly around Ash as only central character with others being allowed to have their stories fleshed out more. Battling improved a lot since early days with more details and strategy being implemented into it. In Kanto aside from few battles(like Charizard vs Blain Magmar)most battles in reality were bad.

Group pokemon started to receive more screen time with their characters being fleshed out more. Aside from Ash Kanto starters, Misty Psyduck and Togepi almost none of twerps pokemon including TR had their personalities exploited out.

Pacing also got better, and i don't even need to mention how rivalries were handled by miles better compared to Kanto days when Gary appeared in few and far between episodes. Although it wasnt until Sinnoh that writers started treating rivals right(Paul comes to mind).

However it also declined in some aspects since Kanto days, with older seasons having more humor, better dynamic within cast and many things which today would never manage to pass under radar like it was case before. Such exaggerated style and wacky plots original series used to had also resulted in this era of pokemon being known for highest number of banned episodes to this date. Simply because some scenes weren't suitable for kids TV show.
    Chemistry and interaction between original trio was also probably most memorable group and one with most synergy. They really felt like genuine group of friends fulfilling each other nicely contributing to fčlamboyant and comic interaction.

Back than, especially in Kanto anime was initially intended to be like family show written for all kind of generations according to Takeshi Shudo blogs. However since he wasn't allowed to do that, having to adjust to future games and marketing that style of writing started to gradually decline, just to end up disappearing completely somewhere around Hoenn.

What i liked about Kanto,Oi and to lesser extent Johto is also fact how back than writers stick in much smaller amount to games straying away from it quite a few times including less game characters, with more anime exclusive things being incorporated. Nowadays we don't get anymore such unique mini arcs like it was case with Sabrina, St.Anne, Gengar and Alakazam bringing in danger whole world, having something like Whirl Islands arc which felt like mini season put in one bigger . Or Giovani gym which involved Mewtwo following movie canon closely. We don't get whole anime only seasons like it was case with Orange Islands having unique portrayal of gyms and place in which story was set in.

Nowadays pokemon handles main characters better, storyline is more consistent and battles, villains and treatment of pokemon themselves have better writing behind it. However OS had more comedy, better dialogue and dynamic, and wacky and out of place plots with writers seeming to have much more liberty back in day, to spread wings of creativity and use their own imagination.

Misty? who cares. She should stay in her gym forever and never return.

Apparently many fans do care, wanting her back to main cast. Personally i wouldn't mind her return. She was fun character and you could tell there was left untapped potential to do more. Such as her goal of becoming water pokemon master which can't be achieved at gym, providing plausible directions to take it forward and do follow up(benchmarks similar to Whirl Cup which measure someone growth, becoming E4 water trainer etc are some of possibilities).

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2018
    ^That is a perfect and neutral summary of how Pokemon Anime changed over the ages. Every bit of it is true.

Honestly the writers could do more, but their hands are tied down by marketing issues. It is frustrating but let's all pray to god and hope that this changes.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    I......I don't think it dramatically changed, nor do I believe it became worse.
    I started watching the series from the very beginning of Kanto and ending up till now, Unova. I see noway how the series became "worse", in fact, you people said it yourself! Didn't I read many times here that the series is "repetitive" and ash becoming a noob all over again? So it DOES contradict the idea of the series changing to the worst. It is still the same to me, I do find every separate series different with slight topping and changes.... good changes actually.

It also depend on what aspect do you see it. If you're telling me the series has gone downhill because some characters left, then this could be a terribly wrong argument. Try to criticize every series in aspects that gives Pokemon its reputation. For example....Battles or maybe Pokemons themselves. Maybe also look at aspects that make up an anime in the first place. Characters and their development? Plot (ehh..I shouldn't say that)?

In my opinion, when I always take these elements, all I can say is that the anime basically didn't sway a lot. It's actually doing well since its refreshing. It can be better of course, but not a big deal really. My primary focus is not the Pokemon Anime only, it is the Franchise itself.

Poke-roogs

Call Me Maybe
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2012
    Whilst Kanto certainly has a nostalgic flair to it, it certainly isn't any better than later seasons (barring the incredible theme song). Animation errors were prevalent, and battles were really dynamic (nothing will really ever top Charizard vs Magmar though). Sinnoh and Unova have greatly improved in terms of battles. They're a lot more strategic and, for the most part, better animated.

Paul was also a better rival than Gary could ever hope to be. He was completely antithetical to Ash, and that made a compelling arc. Paul's abuse of Chimchar, and then having Ash use that and turn it into a strength, was really well done.

Characters, however, were the most entertaining during the early Orange Islands- early Johto run. Ash's headstrong hero schtick hadn't lost its charm, Misty was actually given stuff to do (something she suffered from in most all of Johto up until the whirl cup), and Brock was funny as hell. Tracey... also had his moments, though he wasn't nearly as entertaining.

Hoenn was okay, but it seemed like Johto 2.0 with the added addition of contests (which were pretty entertaining while May was there)

Battle Frontier was fun, and we got to see a lot of Ash's old Pokemon after not seeing any of them for 3 seasons.

Sinnoh... was a mixed bag. Great battles, good character arcs for Chimchar, Paul, and Ash (and each of Ash's Pokemon managed to be interesting. I miss you Gliscor. So much). The Team Galactic plot was also okay. But Dawn wasn't nearly as interesting as May was, and her whole subplot made me stop watching for a while. I know others are big fans of her, but I honestly thought it was bland.

Unova has its fair share of pointless episodes so far, but its actually given us competent villains and more continuity, so I'm happy with that. My only complaint so far is that Cilan is pretty annoying, but other than that its fine.

However... they really goofed in changing the voice actors. I'm not aware of all that went down when we changed from 4kids to The Pokemon Company, all I know is that the new voices irk me something awful. Still watchable though.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    As with every generation and new series there seems to be pros and cons with all of them. Its not going down it as it stands its just not up to par in certain categories.

Piggy backing off what others said we have more in depth character development with people and pokemon that are not Ash and his pokes. Rivalries are better at least with Paul, consider Ash didn't really face Gary until after Orange Islands when Pikachu fought Eevee. Seems like they had way too few of an interaction to have much of a rivalry. Which is almost how I am feeling about Trip, since their third battle way back before any Don Tournaments they haven't had a battle. And generally when we do see Trip he has a so so showing at the Tournament.

Team Rocket and how they are depends on the person. Do you like comedy over serious nature they are like secret agents kind of ? Because for myself I'd rather seem them in this fashion then the comic relieve they provided over the years, not to mention I didn't feel their presence was needed in literally almost every episode.

The animation for me is an improvement as I prefer how the battle animations are as opposed to more simple in the past.

One of few things I dislike though is the throwing learned battle skills Ash and Pikachu had and throw them out the window and which would seem to a greater extend in BW then any prior generations.

Another thing I am not happy with is their handling of Team Plasma. Since the banned episodes they have not shown Plasma at all. They had chances I felt with an episode like Black Hero Remains when they explored a cave/temple area with Cedric Juniper and find a stone supposedly related to Zekrom. Hopefully they do something in Best Wishes season 2 about it. Then again aside from St. Anne what did Team Rocket as a team really do in Kanto?

Years
    My personal thoughts: The older the season, the better & it's all going downhill

See any difference? Either eye surgery/transplantation or contact lenses, but I've never seen Ash take off or put on contact lenses so it's probably the first alternative.

Why does the eye color change bother you so much? Does it really matter?

Misty? who cares. She should stay in her gym forever and never return.

If they never replaced Misty, people would be complaining that they need top get rid of her and get a new girl. Sadly, the fandom will never be happy.

I've encountered that anyone who watched pokemon always seems to like the show at the point that they started watching it. For instance, i grew up watching the first five seasons seeing ash and misty have some kinda thing and then she just leaves. Well, of course now that the main characters have changed its feels like its lost something and is going downhill.

Even though Ash only placed top 16 in the first season and top eight in the 5th, it still seemed as though the story was making progression, imo.

Now new characters isnt so bad but then came the voice changing. There was a voice change in the first season, but it wasnt as dramatic. Picture watching a show for 9 years with the same voices and all-of-a-sudden youre in the middle of the 9th season and the main character seems to have undergone reverse puberty....

I understand how a voice change can be annoying,. but there's nothing they can do about it. Ash's old voice most likely found a job making better money or retired. Most people don't have the same job forever. We would have to end up having a voice change sometime.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    I don't think that you can compare the animation from 1998 (season 1) with animation from 2006 (season 10). Animation techniques are developed more as years pass and the never episodes will generally have better animation.

Unova - Then it's your lost. Your missing out on great stuff BW series has been giving us.

Guess I'll just have to be satisfied with watching the 659 pre-Unova epidodes (minus 2 unaired episodes and episode 38: Electric Soldier Porygon, plus the 22 Pokémon Chronicles episodes)

What is actually so good in the first seasons? the top 16? Top 8 in Johto? In sinnoh and Isshu he is much better. top 4, and i belive that top 2 in the Isshu league.

He won the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier and he was offered to become a Frontier brain. I don't think that's so bad.

But Dawn wasn't nearly as interesting as May was, and her whole subplot made me stop watching for a while. I know others are big fans of her, but I honestly thought it was bland.

I prefer Misty and then May before Dawn. It's not that Dawn isn't a good character, but I like Misty and May more. It's also because I think that the Swedish dub voice of Dawn was quite lifeless and dull.

Why does the eye color change bother you so much? Does it really matter?

It's a small and unimportant change in compaison to the voice actor change - (that isn't too important to me either since I mainly watch it in Swedish) - but it annoys me to see how the series is gradually changed and "babyfied" + the new eyes creep me out.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Kanto and the Orange Isles: Was the best season.
    Johto: I hated. Only thing I liked was Movie 2000.
    Hoenn and Frontier: I loved. This is my favorite season. I loved everything about Hoenn and Frontiers.
    Sinnoh: I hated. The movies were ok.
    Unova: I love and the movies are ok.

That's my thoughts.

Years
    It's a small and unimportant change in compaison to the voice actor change -

Exactly, which is why I'm wondering why it bothers you.

(that isn't too important to me either since I mainly watch it in Swedish) - but it annoys me to see how the series is gradually changed and "babyfied"

Your watching a show made for seven year olds, of course you'll think that.

+ the new eyes creep me out.

This is hilarious. Their eyes. They aren't going to try to kill you in the middle of the night. Their just normal brown eyes. How are you Creeped out by them?

Poke-roogs

Call Me Maybe
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2012
    I prefer Misty and then May before Dawn. It's not that Dawn isn't a good character, but I like Misty and May more.

Believe me, so do I. Misty had a nice dynamic with Ash until Togepi sucked the life out of her.

Iris is actually pretty good though. They give her stuff to do that actually contributes to the main plot (as in, doesn't seem like a pointless add on. Looking at you, Contests).

As a side note, I actually prefer Ash's new eyes. They seem a little more energetic and life-like. Just bring back the ol' Pokemon Expo hat and his design is perfect.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Believe me, so do I. Misty had a nice dynamic with Ash until Togepi sucked the life out of her.

I don't think so.
    Togepi didn't leeched out character from Misty, being full of personality in second half of Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto and Hoenn as well from what i noticed. If anything Togepi only helped her to mature bringing out other sides of character which were overshadowed by temper at times being step toward future development. Development provided her with more substance which is never a bad thing because it gives more depth to someone enriching his personality and adding to appeal.Change is necessary because if character don't develop they start to stagnate(like poor Brock) becoming eventually boring.

I remember she was still tomboyish and rebellious and sarcastic, being full of adventurous spirit liking to explore after Togepi. Only change was that she was less aggressive which is good thing because it made character more competent and tough while still keeping her enjoyable traits being assertive as well spunky and vivid.This can be noticed in way she interacted with several characters becoming closer friend to Ash and Brock being very hard for her to leave them at end of Johto.

And judging by hosos and AG cameos she managed to grew more confident and responsible while remaining hotheaded and playful which made her better character imo.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Well for me the anime was good until the end of the frontier...sinnoh was the pit but BW seems to be restoring some of that. Hopefully B2W2 will be as good as Hoenn was and progress from there like a parabola.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    This is hilarious. Their eyes. They aren't going to try to kill you in the middle of the night. Their just normal brown eyes. How are you Creeped out by them?

I'm not scared by them if that's what you mean. Maybe something got lost in translation, since English is not my native language. I'm talking about the unpleasant feeling you get when you listen to Justin Bieber. That's how I feel when I look at Ash's new eyes.

Last edited:
    Years
    I love the older episodes, the Kanto and Johto sagas.
    Hoenn and Sinnoh I can cope with, but the Unova anime is terrible. I mean, get rid of Brock? Brock was the one sane character in the anime that still provided a few laughs.
    Cilan and Iris can go and crawl under a rock for all I care.

hassanabdullah45k

Charizard619
    Years
    Really, if you would ask me, the whole pokemon series ended for me in the episode Gotta Catch Ya' Later.
    Alright ! Alright!
    I admit that you COULD watch the later episodes.
    And just for those who say that i remember brock and misty from my childhood, thats right. But my brothers never let me watch it properly. So i only got a few glimpses of brock ash and misty.
    But i would still like to see the original trio back !
    (maybe in the end! )

Megaman3007

MTF FTW :)
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    I feel DP was the best but BW is lacking. I think its due to them going for the Kanto feel which was not a good story to start with. If they gave the DP writing for BW I would of loved it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    That argument (the part about the seasons getting worse) seems to be factual, actually. The ratings data from both the US and Japan also indicated that the longer the season went, the worse it got. For example, Hoenn did even worse than Johto, and that was widely thought to be the worst season (at least according to some people. Me, personally, I didn't really see what the big problem was with Johto.). I can't comment on BW or the later seasons of DP as I haven't seen them, though, but early DP seemed to be around the same level as the second season of AG in Japan, at least, from what I saw on Pokeani's ratings. I know there's the problem about the Japanese population decreasing, but I don't think that's the main problem. Plus, the decrease in population would actually cause ratings percentages to go higher, not sink even further, and certainly not dramatically dip.

Regarding that Misty/Togepi comment, Misty actually already had a motherly nature even before Togepi. Should I remind you about her expressing concern for Pikachu in the first episode? Or how about her interaction with Oddish midway through the episode where Bulbasaur was caught? And as DBZFan/PokemonFan123 said, if Misty doesn't get much character development, she'll stagnate. Heck, I'm not even a person who is comfortable with changes or divergences, yet even I can see it. If you should blame anyone for her being stagnant, blame the writers. And besides, she still did stuff in the series before she left, so I don't buy the whole "She didn't do anything in Johto" complaint.

Poke-roogs

Call Me Maybe
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2012
    Regarding that Misty/Togepi comment, Misty actually already had a motherly nature even before Togepi. Should I remind you about her expressing concern for Pikachu in the first episode? Or how about her interaction with Oddish midway through the episode where Bulbasaur was caught? And as DBZFan/PokemonFan123 said, if Misty doesn't get much character development, she'll stagnate. Heck, I'm not even a person who is comfortable with changes or divergences, yet even I can see it. If you should blame anyone for her being stagnant, blame the writers. And besides, she still did stuff in the series before she left, so I don't buy the whole "She didn't do anything in Johto" complaint.

See, she didn't do much in Johto, is the thing. There was the Whirl Islands and... well, that's about the only interesting thing that happened with Misty.

In regards to her mothering nature- that wasn't my point. Misty befriending/caring for a wild Pokemon in need is one thing (it makes for an entertaining episode), the writers using that as her main character trait is another.

Because THAT'S WHAT THEY DID. Of course it's the writers' fault, they used Togepi as a crutch to limp Misty along for about a hundred episodes. Before Johto, Misty was much more prone to getting into fights with Ash and having episodes centered around her. Constantly carrying a baby Pokemon and worrying about its safety limited what she could do.

Anywho, I said my piece, I don't think we should get too sidetracked here.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I find the newer Seasons generally better, I find myself becoming more attached and intrigued to the episodes which makes me want to watch more.

Back