• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Pokemon concepts

What are my concepts like?

• Exelent!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just average...

• Terrible!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Well I've always loved Pokemon, and I've always loved drawing, so combination of those two seems perfect!
    I kinda got bored drawind real Pokemon so I decided to give a crack at drawing new Pokemon concepts!
    Keep in mind that all these are drawn by hand, on paper, so there aren't sprites for theese guys just yet!
    So here they are:
    Spoiler:

They are:
    #1 Bhost (Bat-ghost)... Ghost type
    #2 Elephly (Elephant-fly)... Normal/Flying type
    #3 Toxitoad (Toxic-toad)... Poison/Water type
    #4 Eletalist (Elephant-mentalist)... Psychic type
    #5 Olent (Old-ent)... Grass type
    #6 Just a sheet of paper on which I drew theese! ;)

Please give me some advices or criticques, and I'll gladly draw some requests!

Hope you like 'em! :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Interesting ideas. Elephly. Now there's something you don't see everyday.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Interesting ideas. Elephly. Now there's something you don't see everyday.
    *Cough*

First off, if you have a flatbed scanner use it. If you don't have a flatbed scanner but you have a table lamp, use that when taking photos. If you don't have a table lamp or flatbed scanner use the flash function. The picture quality's quite low and it interferes with the viewer's judgement and first impression.

Moving on, I'm just going to do a short critique. One major issue that needs to be addressed here is that all your fakemon look incredibly derirative. I mean really derirative. For #1, while Sugimori can certainly pull off drawing an amalgamation of various objects in order to make Pokemon, (the Hitomoshi line from Gen V being one of them) at least he does it with a certain stylistic flare. That is to say, he adds certain elements to the creature in question to prevent it from looking too generic or bland. On the subject of your sheet with bat wings, I'm sorry to say that it does indeed give the impression of being generic and bland. By combining two elements that are the stereotypes of ghosts and the occult (White sheets and bat wings), you've actually managed to create something beyond a cliche. The piece comes off as trying a bit too hard to be spooky.

Let's try a good example. Sugimori's Hitomoshi evo line, mentioned previously, is a good once. While he does use candles and chandeliers as an inspiration source and doesn't expand the design further than anthropomorphizing the Pokemon to include faces, the candle things still come off as being somewhat original, cool, cute, and or spooky. Why? This is simply because of two things. The first is his stylistic approach that's oh-so-common to fans of the franchise. His soft lines and rounded designs for certain Pokemon are an example of one of his styles. That one is a mojor selling point for Sugimori. The second one is a bit more complicated and has to do with his thematic approach. Here, he derives the design from candles which are occult to an extent. However, notice that the first thing you think off when you see an everyday candle is not the occult, rather you see it as an everyday, mundane object. Thus, this creates a more subtle approach and manages to get people saying, "Ooh, wow, original."

On to #2, I needn't say anything beyond the name 'Dumbo'. Look it up. #3, while it does look cool, is also derirative. Same goes for #4. The worst case of derirativeness is #5 for the sole fact that you based it off an Ent. You also gave it a name that's similar to an Ent. I don't see the innovation here at all. To consolidate what I've just said, try not to be too derirative when designing fakemon. To me, numbers 3 to four all look like their models with slightly altered features. Almost nothing would make me look at them and think that they were fakemon. A tatooed frog, a circus elephant, and a regular, run-of-the mill Ent maybe, but not fakemon.

So, tl;dr, my advice to you is to not be too derirative. Basing fakemon off animals and mythical creatures is usually what Sugimori does, but at least he's not too derirative and takes a unique stylistic approach in some cases. Final words: I'm not being harsh; I'm being realistic. This was a critique that was meant to be short, but got out off hand. I'm sorry.

Back