• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen My Pokemon Gold Team (Please comment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateLifeform

D-Generation X lives!!!
    Years
    Pokemon Gold Team:

This is my current Pokemon Gold team, with explanations as to why I'm using them. I'd like to get some opinions and thoughts on what changes and improvements I should make. All Pokemon are at level 50 unless otherwise noted.

Pokemon: Electabuzz
    Nickname: Buzzkilla
    Type: Electric
    Item: Magnet
    Attacks: Submission
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Punch

Why? One word: Versatility. Electabuzz is designed to (in theory at least) cover as many bases as he can. Submission for rock, ice, dark, and normal types; Ice Punch for ground, rock, dragon, and grass; Psychic for fighting and poison types; and, of course, Thunderbolt for water and flying types. Magnet raises the power of electric attacks.

Pokemon: Starmie
    Nickname: Andromeda
    Type: Water/Psychic
    Item: Mystic Water
    Attacks: Thunder
    Rain Dance
    Psychic
    Surf

Why? While you could say that Starmie is "overused", the list of more versatile water Pokemon in the first two Generations is short. Mystic Water raises the power of water attacks, as does Rain Dance, plus Rain Dance gives Thunder an almost 100% chance of hitting. Psychic is there to take advantage of Starmie's dual type.

Pokemon: Kangaskhan
    Nickname: Big Mama
    Type: Normal
    Item: Quick Claw
    Attacks: Surf
    Endure
    Reversal
    Dizzy Punch

Why? I really don't see all that much of Kangaskhan, so I thought I'd give her a chance. She ultilizes the tried and true Endure + Reversal combo, as well as Dizzy Punch, a powerful move with a chance of confusion. Surf is there to give Kangaskhan a solid special attack, but I may replace it because Kangaskhan does not have a very high special attack stat. Quick Claw is in place to help against swifter opponents.

Pokemon: Typhlosion
    Nickname: Inferno
    Type: Fire
    Item: Charcoal
    Attacks: Return
    Thunderpunch
    Smokescreen
    Flame Wheel

Why? I'm actually thinking of using a different fire type in his place, but for now Typhlosion does the job just fine. Charcoal increases the power of fire moves, which helps with Flame Wheel. Thunderpunch is there to hopefully fend off water Pokemon, while Return hits hard. Smokescreen helps lower accuracy.

Pokemon: Snorlax
    Nickname: Tank
    Type: Normal
    Item: Leftovers
    Attacks: Sleep Talk
    Rest
    Body Slam
    Earthquake

Why? Perhaps the ultimate tank in the old games (hence his nickname), Snorlax is basically meant to just sit there and weather the storm. Leftovers and Rest keep him alive, while Sleep Talk allows him to use Body Slam and Earthquake even while sleeping. Plus, Body Slam's damage with a chance of paralysis is a nice bonus.

Pokemon: Alakazam
    Nickname: Psychosis
    Type: Psychic
    Item: N/A
    Attacks: Recover
    Reflect
    Thunderpunch
    Psychic

Why? Everybody's favorite psychic powerhouse. Reflect helps Alakazam with his somewhat low defense, while Recover restores health, keeping him in battle. Thunderpunch takes advantage of Alakazam's high special attack, as well as a chance of paralysis. Psychic, of course, is an Alakazam staple, and takes advantage of both special attack and STAB.

I'm actually using this team in the Gym Leader Castle in Pokemon Stadium 2. I have reached the fifth gym (Cianwood), and so far all my Pokemon have served me well.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    After I made a nice long post, this forum shuts me off :/

I love it, but remove Kangaskhan for either Dragonite or Tyranitar. Two fighting weaknesses with no resistences is a risky bet. Or, keep Kangaskhan and remove Alakazam for Gengar, which is a much better Pokemon overall.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Yeah, I agree, it's Special Attack is much better than it's regular, Physical Attack.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2009
    It's really good! But, I agree with King Tyrannitar. You should replace Kangaskahn with a Dragonite or Tyrannitar.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2008
    Pokemon: Typhlosion
    Nickname: Inferno
    Type: Fire
    Item: Charcoal
    Attacks: Return
    Thunderpunch
    Smokescreen
    Flame Wheel

-.-

Flame Wheel >> Flamethrower

I comment.

-*-

Years
    The team is excellent overall.
    ...but, I've got a few things to say about Kangaskahn and Typhlosion.
    I personally think Kangaskahn is pointless and somewhat of not a good pokemon.
    I would replace it for a good dragon pokemon, preferbally Tyranitar or Dragonite, there are also some nice movesets for the both of them.
    As for Typhlosion he is an excellent pokemon the only problem I see with him is that he should know Flamethrower instead of the Flame Wheel+Thunderpunch combo. If you do however want him to know Flame Wheel I would go for the Flame Wheel+Fire Punch Combo instead then.
    This is how I would raise my Typhlosion, but it's your choice mate, your asking for our opinions... that's mine. Good luck, and excellent work on the team.

Years
    the starmie and snorlax are the only ideas i liked. if you really like it, keep the elctrabuzz. give typhlosion a stronger moveset, kangaskhan for dragonite, and switch alakazam with gengar, misdreavous or espeon(which you like the best)

PokemonTrainerGravity

Experienced Trainer
    Years
    I also find that team to be very strong. And yes, the Kangaskhan should be taken out and the Typhloshion should also know Earthquake so that it can take out Rock Type Pokemon easily.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    This hasn't been posted in in over a year. Why would you even look that far back into the forums? Anyway, for anyone reading this post, remember that now we have a "What's your team?" thread, so use that instead. This thread est finit!

Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back