• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Rain Dance Team

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    Hello, this is my first time building a competitive themed team. Any suggestions on changes on the movesets or poke i got listed bellow would be great thanks!

Electrode @ damp rock
    252 atk/ 48 spa/ 208 Spe
    Hasty
    Rain Dance
    Explosion
    Taunt/Light Screen
    Thunder

Toxicroak
    4hp/ 252atk/ 252 Spe
    Adamant
    Substitute
    Sucker Punch
    Swords Dance
    Focus Punch

Kingdra
    252atk/ 245 SpA/ 252 Spe
    Adamant
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    ???

ludicolo
    232 hp/ 216 SpD/ 60 spe
    Calm
    Leech Seed
    rain dance
    toxic
    surf

Castform
    80def/ 252 SpA/ 176 spe
    modest
    Rain Dance
    Weather Ball
    Thunder
    Ice Beam

Lanturn
    40hp/ 216def/ 252SpD
    Calm
    Confuse Ray
    Thunder wave
    Thunder/ Thunderbolt
    Ice beam/surf

Once again this is my first time making a themed competitive team so all constructive critisisim is welcome and apreciated.

PokemonSkySD

Credit to Dots for the Avatar
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    The team is pretty good, but you have too many Sp.Atk based pokemon.
    A quick fix is too change Lanturn too a Physical varient.

This is the physical Varient I'm most familier with.
    Lanturn@Leftovers
    Nature - Impish
    EVs - HP 252/200 - Def 120 - Sp.Def 138 - ~Atk 52~ Only i if you go for 200 HP.
    Ability - Volt Absorb
    Moveset: -
    - Waterfall
    - Confuse Ray
    - Thunder Wave
    - Heal Bell/Attract/Aqua Ring/Substitute/Return

Waterfall is for STAB and flinching, as combined with Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave and Attract the opponent has a 16.5% chance of hitting.

The last option is up too preference, Heal Bell for Cleric, Attract for the tempting 16.5% hit mentioned above, Aqua Ring for added healing, Substitute is recommended with the 252 HP EV spread (101 Subs), and Return for Absolute coverage barring Shedinja and Empoleon.

Other than that I'd go for Return as Kingdra's last move for the coverage.

i can't say anymore without Shoddy testing it. Zapdos might be an idea though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    thank you i will probably adjust my lanturn to lean more toward the physical side like you said.

JojoX2

Medicham Fan *Chammy ftw*
    Years
  • If you want to use Kingdra, you have to play in OU tier. I highly doubt that Castform stands any chance there.

Also, your team is way to stallish. Rain Dance may have the advantage of Damp Rock, but it still doesn´t last forever. The idea behind Rain is normaly to sweep as fast as possible, while Rain is up.

Electrode for a suicide lead is fine, I think, altough there certainly are things that can do the job better in OU(Azelf, Crobat, Bronzong).

Toxicroak: I see that thing a lot in Rain teams, maybe it´s better than I thought. What I 90% know, however, is that your set won´t work too well. Croak´s subs do not last longer than one turn of attacking and it is not fast. You won´t even be able to attack with your STAB, as you´ll most probably SD while the opponent b reaks your Sub. Next turn, you are likely to not have enough HP for another Sub, providing that you attach no leftovers to it. If you do, it might work, but it´s still risky, imo.

Kingdra: This is a must on each RD team, imo, be it special or physical. But you cannot give it more than 510 EVs. In RD, Kingdra doesn´t need max Speed btw, so you can take some and put thewm into HP.
    The best nature for DD Kingdra is Jolly or Naive, imo. On the last slot, put Substitute, or, if you decide to run another nature which doesn´t cut SpAtk, Draco Meteor.

Ludicolo makes a decent sweeper in Rain. Don´t waste time stalling, just let it set up rain and sweep with its great special coverage. Ability is Swift Swim, of course.

Castform just drags you down. It may have coverage but it definitely lacks in every other aspect. You lack a steel type, that blocks Dragon attacks, so Bronzong is worth a mention. In Rain he doesn´t have a weakness and can CM(or just block, but CM is good imo). Same goes for Scizor, which is more offensive and can SD. Both have access to RD themselves.

If I assume that you put another RD user over Castform, you have enough. Lanturn normally would be a good RD user, but three per team is enough. His job is to take electric attacks, most probably. I suggest using Jolteon, Electivire or maybe Scarf Flygon.

-----------

You forgot to mention items(except your lead): For Croak use Black Sludge or Leftovers, Kingdra can get Leftovers or Life Orb(yay for suicide sweeper!), Ludicolo gets either Damp Rock or Life Orb. For Bronzong/Scizor take Damp Rock or leftovers.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    so i should change toxicroaks moveset to ..
    poison jab/taunt
    cross chop
    swords dance/taunt
    sucker punch

to lean more on the physical end

Tyrant626

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • New analysis

This is OU right?

I've seen several Rain Dance teams, and heres some ideas.

Bronzong @damp rock

Sassy/Relaxed 252HP/126 Def/126 sp. def

~Rain Dance
    ~Light Screen/Reflect (whichever on you need most.)
    ~Gyro Ball
    ~Explosion

Bronzong is more of a mid-game Rain Dancer. This set gurantees that you will start an 8 turn rain. It also provide Screenage to cover your weaknesses.

Kingdra @Life Orb

Adamant 252 Atk/252 spe/4 HP

~Dragon Dance
    ~Waterfall
    ~Outrage
    ~Earthquake

The best RD sweeper in OU. One Dragon Dance gives him the power to shred through teams.

Jolteon @Choice Specs

Modest/Timid 252 sp. atk/252 spe/4 HP

~Charge Beam
    ~Hidden Power Ice
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Thunder

A great sweeper that does'nt need swift swim. Thunder for power, or Charge Beam for a build up for greater power. Just remember, Choice only allows 1 move, so choose which one you'll need most.

Ludicolo @leftovers

Timid 252 Sp. Atk/144 HP/88 Spe

~Substitute
    ~Leech Seed
    ~Surf
    ~Ice Beam/Grass Knot

A good, long-lasting sweeper. After he Subs, he can plant Seeds, or attack quickly. You might want grass knot for resisted water types, or Ice Beam for Dragons.

Swampert @Leftovers

Careful 252 HP/144 Sp. Def/88 Def

~Waterfall
    ~Curse
    ~Sleep Talk/ Eathquake/ Hammer Arm
    ~Rest

A sturdy tank. Curse to build up his physical side, Rest off any damage.
    If you use sleep talk, you can continue to gain stats in your sleep. However if you feel safe without it, you can replace sleep talk with Eathquake or Hammer Arm, depending on if your worried about Skarmory and Bronzong being a problem.

Electrode @Damp Rock

Jolly (static) 252 Spe/252 Atk/4 HP

~Rain Dance
    ~Explosion
    ~Taunt
    ~Spark

This is mainly meant as a suicide lead. Now I see how Spark doe'snt look to good, but with STATIC aanndd Spark, you have a pretty good chance of inducing paralysis, plus 65 power is'nt that bad. After you get the job done, Explode.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2012
    OOh! Yay raindance!

If your doing a Swords Dance Kingdra, it may be wise to switch in a subpassing zapdos for something. This makes a decent combination to give Kingdra a couple free boosts. Now, If you want SD Qwillie, he also works well in that. Your Castform can be a surprise to deal with opponent's Bulky Waters and grasses in UU, but in OU it's not too effective. (I still think you're epic for using him though)

Back