• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Ruby Team!

Years
    Please rate my Ruby team. It might not be the ideal team, but it beat the Elite Four.

Swampert@King's Rock
    Nature: Mild
    Moves:
    Surf
    Strength
    Earthquake

Regice@Nevermeltice
    Nature: Lax
    Moves:
    Ice Beam
    Zap Cannon
    Superpower
    Ancientpower

Groudon@Charcoal
    Moves:
    Dragon Claw
    Rock Tomb
    Earthquake
    Eruption

Registeel@Quick Claw
    Moves:
    Metal Claw
    Zap Cannon
    Superpower
    Ancientpower

Flygon@Amulet Coin
    Nature: Bold
    Moves:
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw
    Hyper Beam

Swellow@Exp. Share
    Nature: Calm
    Moves:
    Secret Power
    Fly
    Steel Wing
    Endeavor

Thank you for viewing my party. Feel free to ask questions and rate my team.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    As a rule of thumb,try to stay away from 10% boosting items like charcol and nevermeltingice.
    Also kings rock and quick claw are hax items that are generally frowned upon.
    Never use any of the HMs except for surf..Get a HM slave for the rest.
    However, because this is ingame..i guess it'll suffice.

I hope u have access to emerald/FR/LG cuz i'll recommend things that can only be obtained from these versions..

Swampert[brave]@leftovers
    -ice beam
    -surf
    -earthquake
    -curse/protect

Regice[calm]@leftovers
    -ice beam
    -thunderbolt
    -rest
    -thunderwave/psych up

Groudon[adamant]@choice band
    -earthquake
    -rockslide
    -brick break/thunderwave
    -overheat/fireblast

cool.

Registeel[careful]@leftovers
    -thunderwave/curse
    -explosion/earthquake
    -rockslide
    -rest

boring..

Flygon[adamant]@leftovers
    -earthquake
    -rockslide
    -substitute
    -screech

ingame doesnt switch so screeching tends to work pretty well.

Swellow[adamant]@choice band
    -aerial ace
    -steel wing
    -return
    -filler..sleeptalk/double edge

if u get HP ground/fighting with a decent base damage then use it on swellow.

Last edited:
    Years
    Ruby Team

Ice demon said:
    As a rule of thumb,try to stay away from 10% boosting items like charcol and nevermeltingice.
    Also kings rock and quick claw are hax items that are generally frowned upon.
    Never use any of the HMs except for surf..Get a HM slave for the rest.

I have but 2 questions:
    1. What's a hax item?
    2. What's " HM slave"?

emerald star

Owns 11 shinies! Dang!
    Years
    pkmnfan_06 said:
    I have but 2 questions:
    1. What's a hax item?
    2. What's " HM slave"?
    An HM slave is a pokemon such as kyogre, and you make its four moves something like these:
    Surf
    Dive
    Waterfall
    Strength

See, they are all HMs and you don't use this pokemon in things like the Elite Four or the Battle Frontier. I personally wouldn't recommend this because I do what you did and it works wonders and I don't have to go to my PC in the game just to get that HM Slave. Don't understand what I mean? Here's my team:

Venusaur@miracle seed
    Moves:
    Leaf Blade
    Cut
    Earthquake
    Frenzy Plant

Blastoise@mystic water
    Moves:
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Dive
    Hydro Cannon (not hydro pump, im not an idiot)

Charizard (black)@king's rock
    Moves:
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower
    Fly
    Blast Burn

Tyranitar@blackglasses
    Moves:
    Crunch
    Strenght
    Rock Smash
    Earthquake

Blaziken@blue scarf
    Moves:
    Fire Punch
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Brick Break

Lugia@nevermelt ice
    Moves:
    Ice Beam
    Recover
    Aero Blast
    Waterfall

All of these are at Lv. 100. This is the team I beat the Elite Four with, got all the Battle Frontier Symbols with, and got most of the gym badges with. Also, you might have noticed, other than Recover, all the moves are attacking moves. This is my best strategy and I have always hated moves like Calm Mind because they are a waste of a turn. But back to what I was saying, this is the team I always use and I never have to go to a PC to get a HM slave. Other than Flash, which I never use, all the HMs are in my team and my team still kicks butt.

Last edited:

emerald star

Owns 11 shinies! Dang!
    Years
    Oh and by the way, you will find that the regi's are terrible the stronger you get. They may start strong but their stats barely increase and the moves they get at higher levels aren't good. You can do what you want but I learned how weak they were after I trained them to high levels and all my work went down the drain. Sorry, but I thought I would let you know.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    First of all, a "hax" item is an item that depends on chance in order for it to work. Quick Claw is a good example. There is only a 10% chance (IIRC) that the Poke holding this item will go first. There are just better items to use instead.

Next, NEVER use Kyogre as an HM slave. I am sure you are just using it as an example, but I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression. HM slaves are reserved for pretty useless Pokes so that your real team can have a better moveset and be able to cover its weaknesses better. Wailmer and Tropius learn 5 different HMs. Use them to get where you need to go.

That brings me to my next point. Do not use two attacking moves of the same type on the same Poke. Emerald star gives you many examples with their team. Having more than one move of the same type, like using HMs, only limits the effectiveness of your Poke. Which Poke is more effective - a Swampert with Surf, Dive, Waterfall, and Strength or a Swampert with Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, and Rest? No comparison. Being smarter with your movesets will make your team better.

Lastly, never use two-turn moves (i.e. Fly, Hyper Beam) or high Attack Power/low accuracy moves (i.e. Thunder, Fissure). They are just not worth it. For example, during the two turns it takes for you to attack with Fly you only do 70 damage, you could attack TWO times with Aerial Ace to do 120 damage. Again, no comparison.

Basically, go with Ice Demon's suggestions.

Back