• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Slaking!!

Cyclops

Lugia Master
    Years
    Hiya!! My Slaking is the only member of my team that I need help with. Basically because of it's ability, Truant, Hyper Beam is perfect for him. So so far all I have is this:

Slaking@Choice Band
    Adamant
    Hyper Beam
    -------
    -------
    -------

Any ideas? I've used him before, and he takes out Blisseys and Wobbuffets in one hit, but I just want to hear some suggestions for his other moves! Thanks.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2005
    Slaking@Choice Band
    Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack
    - Return
    - Brick Break
    - Shadow Ball
    - Earthquake

Hyper Beam is useless since you can't switch out after using it, if you use return, you can

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Base speed 100 is not 'woefully slow'. Remember Slaking's base stat totals are on the same levels as Kyogre and Groudon.

I was gonna use a Hyper Beamer, but Demonion makes a good point, that Truant turn you can switch on, giving you an opportunity to switch. Use his moveset, it's not like Slaking is lacking in the damage department anyway

Cyclops

Lugia Master
    Years
    OMG!! I checked the wrong stat box... I never saw it's speed could be that high... I'm sorry if I sounded rude!! Those are great suggestions guys!! Thanks alot!!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Toothache said:
    I was gonna use a Hyper Beamer, but Demonion makes a good point, that Truant turn you can switch on, giving you an opportunity to switch. Use his moveset, it's not like Slaking is lacking in the damage department anyway
    Hyper beam will always OHKO unless facing something with resistance. Return does not. That's the sacrifice you're thinking of here. It's all about knowing when to send Slaking out.

Plus, even if you can switch out after return, the opponent can still dragon dance on the turn of you switching out anyway, so that kinda defeats the purpose... the worst part about Slaking's truant is not about being attacked one extra turn (Slaking can't die that easily even with the non-defensive setup), but allowing one non-damaging support moves that is destined to change the whole tide of the game. It maybe dragon dance, or spore, and such attacks are not ordinary attacks where a simple switch will help.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Essentially, the problem with Slaking is his Truant ability. It's so easy to get around if you bear it in mind - Protect/Ghost type abuse for countering Hyper Beam, free turns to Dragon/Swords Dance or Calm Mind, etc, and gives more turns for Toxic/Will-O-Wisp to take effect.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2005
    Hmm Frosty got a point there too :( I don't know :) its up to you to decide return/hyperbeam. Anyway i haven't seen much slaking lately maybe because they are a bit predictable?

Back