• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My team before the Elite 4!

Years
  • What's up Pokemon Trainers from all over. I just recently made it to the Elite 4. Of course I am not ready for the final battles yet as like most of you I need to train.

I was wanting to ask some opinions about my team basically because one or two seem weak and I feel like they'd get owned.

1. My starter was Piplup, now an Empoleon. I regret not going with Turtwig because ever since Bulbasaur I've always went with grass-type. But I wanted to be different this time around and do not wanna restart since I'm at the Elite 4. Empoleon is level 65, which is the minimum that I want my entire team at. So he is good for now.

2. Luxray is my second Pokemon, again this is another Pokemon who seems like he (actually "she") can hold their own. One thing that really irritates me about her and others in my group is that even though they are against weak-type opponents, how is that a Tentacruel cannot die from an electric move in one hit? Is it the fact that Tentacruel has great Sp. Def.? Other than the fact that a bubblebeam can knock down Luxray's HP, I don't have a huge problem with her. She's sitting pretty at level 56.

3. Crobat was my third Pokemon on my adventure and the only reason I trained him was because it was a shiny Zubat to start, Crobat was owning Pokemon until about the 7th gym and up. He is now only level 48, having a hard time finding a good area to train him in. The biggest mistake I had with him was I didn't keep hardly any stat-boosting moves. I was used to the old days of Red/Blue where none of that was hardly needed and Fly, Surf, and Dig would own anyone and any type of Pokemon. I think that has definitely changed in these newer games, which I love, it makes it a more challenging battle.

4. Medicham is my 4th Pokemon. Again she started out really powerful and now it seems she drops in two battle sometimes one. Am I not doing something right with her? She's 17 levels away from my mark at level 48.

5. Roserade is the 5th Pokemon in my battle arsenal and she is the 3rd of 4 who I am having trouble with. She has some of the best moves within my team, but has taken a downfall later in the game. She's level 50, probably going to train her in Victory Road, with a lot of ground/rock types in the cave as well as the water areas.

6. The most disappointing of my team, which sucks because he looks so cool, is Houndoom. I desperately needed a fire type Pokemon and this was the first, even though he was 35-40ish when I caught him. I literally could not find a fire-type and wanted to balance my team out, but didn't want to look up areas where fire-types were because I wanted to play the game without looking it up. As of right now he is sitting at level 46, with the following moves:

a.) Fire Blast
    b.) Fire Fang
    c.) Sunny Day
    d.) Faint Attack

All are decent moves, but again I run into the problem of him dropping HP so quick. Any tips on him would be great, he's such a cool looking Pokemon, but definitely in the game of Pokemon, looks can be deceiving.

7. My 7th or backup Pokemon if I need to sub in, is Giratina. The only reason why he is my backup is because I've never used the Pokemon on the front of the cover and this time through I wanted to be different. Granted he is only level 53 and I caught him at 46 or 48 I think, but it seems he is actually a resilient Pokemon and doesn't drop in battle a whole lot. He is not necessary for my team, but was basically being used if I ended up not liking one.

Sorry this has been so long, but I figured one big one is better than several small posts. I am just looking for some leveling tips, any suggestions (and why) for substitutes into my team, and whether or not certain moves need to be learned for these particular Pokemon. To be honest the only who pulls its own weight on my team is Empoleon. I've never truly had a problem with him.

Well can't wait for some tips and thanks for those reply back with some good answers. Peace.

Stonecreamer

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    no.1 tip, TRAIN! you have no chance at the Elite 4 until your average pokemon level is around 70, the elite 4 are VERY tough, the last one has pkmn at level 69\70.(this is what you need for diamond\pearl, but I think its the same for platinum)
    P.S. you can find lvl 20 Ponyta at Eterna city if you head >(right) that way out of the city.

Years
  • Right I know. I plan on training hard! I just didn't know if this team was good enough if all at level 70? Would Ponyta ---> Rapidash be a better fire type than Houndoom?

Id personally stick to houndoom over a ponyta.

You could get a flareon though...

I thought of a Flareon too, but was trying to keep it Sinnoh only, by trying to find a newer Fire-Type rather than using the old Pokemon. I mean Houndoom and Ponyta are cool, but like I said, I was just desperate for a fire-type.

Last edited:

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • you have no chance at the Elite 4 until your average pokemon level is around 70

I don't think you need to have your team all at level 70 (although it would be easier) but I beat the E4 and the Champion with my team at level 55 consisting of :

Empoleon
    Luxray
    Staraptor
    Golem
    Kricketune
    Tentacruel

I'd keep Houndoom on your team as it's a decent pokemon and I find it better than Rapidash.

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
    Years
  • All of that isn't necessary, you might wanna be at about level 55 to face them, but on my diamond my team to beat the E4 was:
    Empoleon
    Luxray
    Staraptor
    Rampardos
    Garchomp

and some other pokemon I can't remember right now, and they were all lv. 50. The E4 still didn't give me that much trouble.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ok thanks guys, I am probably going to level all of them to 65-70 just because I actually like grinding them out. I take an hour or two a day to try and track down a Chansey with a Lucky Egg, so far nothing, just Oval Stones, but I'll probably end up getting after I beat E4 since I'd have them leveled by the time I find a Lucky Egg, I know you can do the Mansion save and restart thing, but looking for one before the E4 to speed up the leveling even though it is not that bad without it. The VS. Seeker helps A LOT!!!

Thanks guys

Ok thanks guys, I am probably going to level all of them to 65-70 just because I actually like grinding them out. I take an hour or two a day to try and track down a Chansey with a Lucky Egg, so far nothing, just Oval Stones, but I'll probably end up getting after I beat E4 since I'd have them leveled by the time I find a Lucky Egg, I know you can do the Mansion save and restart thing, but looking for one before the E4 to speed up the leveling even though it is not that bad without it. The VS. Seeker helps A LOT!!!

Thanks guys

Last edited:
    Back