• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My team hates hazards

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
Years
  • My team hates hazards [UPDATED]

Okay guys. I decided to trash my old RMT and try this again. With the help of Fire Wolf, I've built another one. So far I haven't been able to win any battles with this. I'm mostly Venusaur weak and my team srtongly dislikes hazards. So here goes...

Quick Glance:
    My team hates hazards
    |
    My team hates hazards
    |
    My team hates hazards
    |
    My team hates hazards
    |
    My team hates hazards
    OR
    My team hates hazards
    |
    My team hates hazards

My team hates hazards

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 224 HP/ 252 Def/ 32 Spe
    Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Pain Split
    - Ice Beam

My lead has changed several times. I first used Omastar, but then I started feeling that I was trying to do too many things with it that it lost it's efficiency. After Omastar, I decided to use Ambipom which I didn't feel to comfortable using. I decided to bring back Froslass from one of my failed UU teams as it was able to get the job done. Basically I set up 3 layers of Spikes. If I think my opponent will try to set up hazards, I Taunt them first and then set up Spikes. I threw Ice Beam on there for a STAB attack so I could take out some leads (i.e. Donphan). Once Froslass's job is done, she Destiny Bond's and takes one of my opponents Pokemon with her. She also serves as a Spin Blocker if she manages to survive the first threat.

---
    My team hates hazards

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    Nature: Impish (+ Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 244 HP /184 Def / 80 SpD
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast
    - Megahorn
    - Stealth Rock

This position has changed many times as well. I started off with a Mismagius to be my Spin Blocker, but when I brought in Froslass as my lead I switched this spot to Spiritomb. Both Mismagius and Spiritomb failed this team so I chose Rhyperior. Rhyperior first sets up Stealth Rock. I usually send him out after Venusaur puts on of my opponents Pokemon to sleep so that Rhyperior can easily set up the rocks. I then proceed to use either Megahorn (for Dark, Psychic types), Stone Edge (for Flying types), or Earthquake (for Rock, Steel, Fire types).

---
    My team hates hazards

Gallade (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Steadfast
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Psycho Cut

This is the star of the team. I've had him since I first made the team and has proven to be a beast once he sets up. After setting up I can pretty much take out most Pokemon. A +2 Shadow Sneak is able to KO most Psychic and Ghost types. +2 Close Combat takes out most Rock, Ice, and Steel types. +2 Psycho Cut completely decimates Fighting and Poison types. There isn't much to say about this guy, it's pretty basic.

---
    My team hates hazards

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant nature (+Atk, - SpA)
    - Power Whip
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance
    - Sleep Power

I use to have MixTile in this spot. But I decided to use Venusaur because he can absorb Toxic Spikes. The idea here is that I Sleep Powder on the switch. After that I try to Swords Dance up. After one Swords Dance, I can take out most things with Power Whip except Flying and Fire Types. Earthquake can take out Poison types a lot easier after one Swords Dance. Again, there isn't much to say about this it's pretty simple.

---
    My team hates hazards

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    EV's: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    Moveset:
    - Surf
    - Foresight
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam

I originally had Hitmontop in this spot. But I opted for Blastoise since my team really needed a bulky water. Blastoise is also my Spinner. I gave him Foresight so I can still spin on Ghosts and rid the field of hazards that my team just hates. Surf is a really power STAB, however I may go for Hydro Pump because of the extra power. Ice Beam is there for coverage and can put a dent in Grass types that are slower than Blastoise.

OR

My team hates hazards

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    EV's: 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpA
    - Hypnosis
    - Recover
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam

Milotic basically does the same job as Blastoise but does not spin away entry hazards. I chose Milotic because it is bulkier and has a recovery option allowing it to stay in play longer. There isn't much to say about why I chose Milotic, the better defenses just seem more appealing to me. With higher defenses, I am able to increase some of my attacking power and be a somewhat of a threat to some Pokemon. I'm not entirely sure on which to choose, Milotic or Blastoise. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me decide.

---
    My team hates hazards

Blaziken @ Choice Scarf
    Nature: Mild
    Ability: Blaze
    EV's: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Moveset:
    ~ Vacuum Wave
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Superpower

I use to have Weezing in this spot, but he wasn't doing much for my team. I decided to toss Blaziken in here for some priority with Vacuum Wave. Fire Blast helps me take out Grass types and Registeel who completely walls my team. Stone Edge comes in handy against Flying types that threaten Gallade and Venusaur. I chose to use Superpower because of its high base power which can help take out Ice types.

---

Well that's my team. Please rate guys, and I'm sorry if I made any mistakes on here. While you are rating please keep in mind that I'm new to competitive battling and that I plan on taking this team Wifi to battle with friends so getting the correct Hidden Power for a Pokemon is problematic for me. Anyways, let the rating begin!​

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok Blastoise wants HP Grass >> Ice Beam so you can pose an immediate threat to Sub Punch Azumaril and also SD/DD Feraligatr

Id also advise Foresight >> Yawn on Blast, this allows you to Rapid Spin on their ghost so that can be of some use, that or use Roar to rack up hazards against their ghost.

I really dislike specs zam because it just gives free switch ins to so much stuff and yells please pursuit me. Sub Mind w/signal beam or the Encore set are much better imo.

You are SD gallade/SD saur weak, switch Arcanine to jolly please and use 136 speed/Max att/120 hp to outspeed both. Id also advise Morning Sun >> Howl to help with LO, SR + Flare Blitz recoil and because Arcanine is generally bulky.

Just some thoughts here.

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
  • @ D_A
    Thanks for the rate. I'm planning on putting this team on wifi so I can have some battles with friends that only do UU, so do you have some other suggestions besides HP Grass on Blastoise?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Sorry I can't rate that much, but the one thing I see is that once Rhyperior gets a single Rock Polish up, it'll eat your team alive. :P I suggest getting something in there to take care of it.

Haven't done any calcs aside from speed ones, and after a RP, Rhy will outspeed everything on your team.

Can't really make a suggestion on how to counter him though as I don't know UU that well, but I think your Blastoise might have a chance, although I'd put some insurance and replace something else with a physically bulky pokemon (perhaps ditch Alakazam).

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • We changed Arcanine, Alakazam and Blastoise for Altaria, Sceptile and Hitmontop, respectively.
    And, Omastar, Gallade, Hitmontop, Sceptile and Altaria won't let Rhyperior do Rock Polish, because they'll OHKO him, only Mismagius lets Rhyperior Rock Polish.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    No, Rhyperior will kill your team.

Hitmontop cant OHKO and if it RP's as you CC it, you die miserably due to the def drops. Altaria also cant do much damage against it due to solid rock so is RP bait. Id advise a bulky water somewhere...

Toxic Spikes sink this team so badly. Put in defensive Venusaur or SD Venusaur >> Sceptile to absorb them. Also helps your Cacturne weak.

Nothing on this team beats foe Gallade, put Spiritomb >> Mismagius imo.

CB Gabite/Shellgon/Dragonair weak.

EDIT :

Wait, you actually are, oh well lol!

Fire Wolf

Years
  • Well, most people in UU don't carry Toxic Spikes, because they think the opponent has a Poison-type.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, most people in UU don't carry Toxic Spikes, because they think the opponent has a Poison-type.

It depends, if you dont have a poison type they are kryptonite, especially agaisnt teams like this.

I highly advise you use Venusaur >> Sceptile to absorb them, that and saur does like the same thing anyway and does more damage thanks to it getting power whip.

Though id add a better bulky water, espcially for Rhyperior/NP Doom who pretty much own you, Blastoise might work >> Hitmontop, also gets Foresight.

EDIT :

Moltres too lol

Fire Wolf

Years
  • We replaced Sceptile for Venusaur, and Power Whip smacks Rhyperior.
    Also, we put Offensive Spiritomb >> Mismagius.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I just battled this team so hopefully I can give some help. The main problem with this team is its speed, and nothing on your team really enjoys getting Tricked (which I could've done with Rotom). The majority of your team also hates getting burned, and you don't have anything to take that. Substitute sweepers may also give you a bit of trouble because they can continually Sub without having to worry about taking any damage after the sub breaks. Moltres also rips through your team easily, especially Life Orb versions. This is mainly because of the low speed.

To help with Substitute sweepers, try using Rock Blast>> Stone Edge on Rhyperior. D-A recommend this for me, and its been very helpful with stuff like Moltres and Raikou.

As for Trick and burns, both of these problems can be solved at the same time with the use of a Choice Scarf Blaziken, or even a Mixed Priority sweeper. I say that the mixed priority sweeper could be a good idea because it doesn't mind getting Tricked a Choice Scarf. Blaziken also can absorb burns due to its Fire typing. I would place it over Hitmontop, because I don't see any other places where you can place Blaziken.

However, replacing Hitmontop leaves you with a problem in regards to entry hazards. For that reason, a great idea would be to replace Weezing with a Blastoise. Blastoise can still Rapid Spin, has access to Foresight, and can help out with Moltres.

So, if you decide to go with these changes, the team would then be:

Froslass
    Rhyperior
    Gallade
    Venusaur
    Blaziken
    Blastoise

I hope that I helped to some extent. Most of the sets that I recommended are easily found on Smogon, but I can post them here if you want.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Going off of what Skip Shot said about not having anything that is ok with being tricked, I suggest you get a revenge killer in there somewhere. :( I forgot to point this out the first time I rated, but I guess it's because I was rushing. However, this team has changed so much since my last rate. xD

So since I can kind of see this team trying to be an offensive one, I suggest getting something that can revenge kill. This will also help with your lack of a reliable special sweeper. :( (Aka, Steelix will wall your team way too well, it'll just roar Gallade away if it gets SD in). Plus you have 3 stat-up pokemon, so it should help as well.

I suggest a good SpSweeper as your revenge killer. Perhaps Espeon >> Gallade, but I'm not really sure how well that'll work. :/ I suggest playtesting it.

Also, Bulky Water >> Weezing (Use Slowbro).

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    You just VMed me that you're confused on which bulky water do you want to choose, well seeing that Milotic is another sleep inducer along with Venusaur then you dont need another sleep inducer because of Sleep Clause, so you will definitely choose Blastoise as it will help you to remove entry hazards ( Spikes became more common in UU thanks to Froslass ).

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Bulky Froslass wants Leftovers.

Blastoise wants 20 speed evs to outspeed max speed Jolly Rhyperior.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    Your Venusaur is a Swords Dancer and it needs Sleep Powder to raise its Attack at high levels, you can give Roar to Blastoise over Ice Beam.

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I prefer that you keep Venusaur as it is, since it wants Sleep Powder so that it can set up and sweep. Besides, Blastoise is needed over Milotic because UU is full of Spikes in the forms of Omastar, Qwilfish, Froslass, etc. Your entire team hates Spikes because you have no Ground resist, so Rapid Spin is needed on Blastoise.

Also, we talked on Shoddy yesterday about using a revenge killer. As I said then, you could put a Choice Scarf on Blaziken, since it doesn't mind the extra speed boost. Otherwise, if you think a Trick is coming, Blaziken can take the Scarf and still retain its sweeping potential.

And the EVs that you posted in the above post would be a good idea to use, as D_A said.

Back