• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My thoughts on Pokémon GO

LucarioisBestPkmn

Constantly Catching Pidgeys
Years
  • Before I begin my post, I am going to say this. I have been playing Pokémon since I was five; I didn't just start out when this app came out.

Now that we have that out of the way, now to the topic...

I'm one of many people who has played this app called Pokémon GO. It's a scheme where they attempt to combine Pokémon with the real world while combining exercise. It is a great app if you like to play Pokemon and excerise. But for me, there things that bug the crap out of me.

This is so out of place. Pokemon is about exploring and finding new creatures. And it does so. It's just off. There is no PvP (Pokémon vs Pokémon) unless you enter a gym so when you encounter Pokémon you chuck Pokéballs at it and hope you capture it. There is no weakening the target like the Old Man and DUDE from GSC, you just pray.

It saddens me that this game itself is neutered of so many features that we have all grown to love. Need a Potion to heal your Jolteon? Who needs a Pokémart? Just pray you'll get one from a stop! You really rely on Pokéstops to get Revives just so you can heal your fainted friends.

We need a real reason why we're doing this. I know the story about how they've found Pokémon on Earth... But other than that... what are we doing? We don't hear from Willow except twice. One for the intro and another for the Gym. Only twice! (please correct me if I'm wrong.) But where's that unique feeling when you play Pokémon? I don't feel it when I play GO.

There are also a few good things I like about Pokémon GO. For one, you have to catch your own Starter Pokémon. A nice touch. If you have weak duplicates of Pidgeys, Weedles, or Rattatas, then transfer them for a candy of that species. Makes live easier, if I do say so myself. You can select one of three teams that have their advantages and disadvantages. You can even hold up to 250 Pokémon! That's a nice upgrade.

I do like the Pokémon GO app, but it should be more Pokémon-y. My brother and I actually came up with an idea. A company like McDonald's could partner with Ninatic and Nintendo to have their restaurants be like those Pokémon Center/Mart Hybrids. You pay for their food and they give you a code on the receipt to put into the app. There, you can actually buy Pokéballs and other items. Healing would always be free, just like in the headcanon games.

So that's my post! Do you guys agree with my statements, or want me to add more? Lemme know in the comments! Thanks~!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    First thing I would say is the game is always going to improving over time (before anyone makes a comment about why did they release a game that's not finished there are various good reasons why they did I just can't be assed to write them down right now) there is a lot of stuff in the pipeline like Pokemon centres and PvP battles. I hope they do hurry up with the Pokemon centres because PvP can't really happen until then.
    I would really really hate if niantic teamed up with a fast food chain for people to buy stuff there, I think it's shady enough making kfcs in Japan pokestops (correct me if I'm wrong on that) but I know somewhere they did a deal with a fast food chain)
    A lot of things from the games have been simplified some in a good way and some not but there's enough good ideas in Go to make it worthwhile.
    As for only seeing Willow twice, that's a fair point but for mobile gaming this is new territory and hopefully he will return more when new features get added

Years
  • Oh, I agree with your idea of PvP. I think we should use our own Pokemon to tame others (Pokemon should have some kinds of levels, special skills, upgrades...). Not just throw the Pokemon ball and "I got it"
    I should add one more: Pokemon Go causes accidents on the road quite often. (My friend is an example :D)

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Oh, I agree with your idea of PvP. I think we should use our own Pokemon to tame others (Pokemon should have some kinds of levels, special skills, upgrades...). Not just throw the Pokemon ball and "I got it"
    I should add one more: Pokemon Go causes accidents on the road quite often. (My friend is an example :D)

The reason you just throw pokeballs is to simplify the encounter and make it quick. In the handheld games sometimes it could take ages to get a Pokemon down to red HP then think about all the frustrating times you accidentally knocked a Pokemon out you wanted to catch.
    As for Pokemon go causing accidents. I will try my best to avoid being rude but the game warns you specifically to look where you are going, anyone who has an accident can only blame themselves.

Years
  • Oh, Phoenixstarz, Developers warn that stuff but not everyone knows about it :D They even don't care about that warning and sometimes distract

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    For as much as I hear what you're saying – I don't exactly agree with what you are stating. One key reason is that the game had to start somewhere. But Niantic has stated that there are going to be numerous amounts of growth for this game and that their goal was to get the game expanding after the global launch is completed. You can correct me here if I'm wrong, but we are currently only playing with 10% of the features Pokémon Go has pushed out, which tells me 90% is still in the waiting stage.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you are following any bloggers, gaming sites, or forums too much to make these claims. For one, a couple of the suggestions you've been disappointed in have already been discussed around future release dates. For example, PvP I believe is coming out in March 2017, meaning Player vs Player battles (not gyms). Pokemon Trading is being implemented around Nov. 2016. Gen 2 Pokemon is set for June/July 2017 – So we have timeframes to look forward too.

To elaborate more, is your recommendation of McDonalds – from my own understanding is that they are working with McDonalds and currently testing in Japan some feats that could go globally. Also, your reference to revives and potions; therefore, no need for PokeCenters. However, from what I've read throughout the community is that Niantic is going to remove some PokeStops and implement them as PokeCenters – I don't know what exactly that entails but sounds pretty legit.

What I'm getting at is that we are only playing with 10% of the game to date, there is more to come and with the amount of traction Pokemon Go has gained I don't think what we are playing today is what Niantic embodied to be the full potential. However, with all that being said, I do agree with you around one point in particular and that is the engagement with Professor Willow – but if I lean on how Niantic did Ingress – These two interactions with Willow won't be the last. Oh on that note, Niantic in regards to Ingress had a deal with Circle K that when you purchased items you got a Coupon for the game that would give items. So you're idea of purchasing a meal at McDonalds could equivocate to purchasing balls or items may be in the works also.

I hope I was able to help motivate you a bit more. Happy hunting.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    To be honest, I am a bit afraid of Pokemon Go. After reading the description before I download the game in my iPhone, my thought were "I can't play this game,, even if I do I will never be able to become good at it".

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    To be honest, I am a bit afraid of Pokemon Go. After reading the description before I download the game in my iPhone, my thought were "I can't play this game,, even if I do I will never be able to become good at it".

The game is designed that you don't need to take on the gyms, however if you do it is very easy for a new player to challenge gyms after a short time of playing.
    As long as you ask questions that you don't understand then you can learn to be good very quickly.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    It's alright for what it is. It's still early days for the app, plenty of updates and features to come.

definately agree, this is such new territory for mobile games and could easily have flopped, its far from perfect but has so much potential. Im trying to play a lot now to have a decent account for when all the features are up and running

Back