• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Mystery and Crime are like bread and butter

Giggleswee

[Screaming in emoji]
Years
  • I really like crime and mystery genres in my soup and I just started watching TV shows too! Currently, I'm watching Lie to Me and planning on watching Person of Interest. What is everyone watching? What is your favorite moments in these shows? Say something! Speak up!

Years
  • I got sick this weekend and ended up watching a lot of Murdoch Mysteries. It's a based in 1880s Toronto and it's a little silly, but really good for just something to breeze through. Lots of jokes about "oh, these moving pictures will never catch on" and stuff, which is kinda hammy, but still fun. I'm also slowly getting through Criminal Minds, which is pretty good. I enjoy watching the mysteries unfold and sometimes getting surprised by a good twist.

Giggleswee

[Screaming in emoji]
    Years
  • I got sick this weekend and ended up watching a lot of Murdoch Mysteries. It's a based in 1880s Toronto and it's a little silly, but really good for just something to breeze through. Lots of jokes about "oh, these moving pictures will never catch on" and stuff, which is kinda hammy, but still fun. I'm also slowly getting through Criminal Minds, which is pretty good. I enjoy watching the mysteries unfold and sometimes getting surprised by a good twist.

Yes, I believe the major twist is one of the best parts of a mystery/crime show. Especially in Lie to Me where they untangle this whole mystery about two people while it's not even part of their case but it actually leads up to their case.

Years
  • Yes, I believe the major twist is one of the best parts of a mystery/crime show. Especially in Lie to Me where they untangle this whole mystery about two people while it's not even part of their case but it actually leads up to their case.
    Ah, yeah, when the A-plot and B-plot are actually part of the same story. Those are always fun episodes, but you can't do them too often or it gets predictable. Being predictable is the worst thing for these stories.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • have you watched any X-Files? that might be up your alley.

and if you want an offbeat mystery-type thing, try Twin Peaks if you haven't. it's not for everyone, but it's very much for me, so maybe it'll work for you too.

Giggleswee

[Screaming in emoji]
    Years
  • No :( I haven't actually watched any normal TV shows until recently and Lie to Me is so far the only I've seen beside the first episode of Supernatural. I will give your recommendations a shot, though!

Years
  • would recommend "Damages"; it's a legal drama but the firm in the show takes on very high profile cases that bring about more high-intensity scenarios like the ones you would see in person of interest or NCIS which makes for a nice balance of tension and realism

Years
  • have you watched any X-Files? that might be up your alley.

and if you want an offbeat mystery-type thing, try Twin Peaks if you haven't. it's not for everyone, but it's very much for me, so maybe it'll work for you too.
    Those are both good shows, but they're not for everyone. I love the humor in X-Files and all the subversions of expected situations and characters, but not the way it drags things out and resists giving you satisfying explanations. Twin Peaks is a really good show when it's being a mystery show, but when it's not it kinda feels like it loses focus and goes into a weird mystical place which I was pretty ambivalent about.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Those are both good shows, but they're not for everyone. I love the humor in X-Files and all the subversions of expected situations and characters, but not the way it drags things out and resists giving you satisfying explanations. Twin Peaks is a really good show when it's being a mystery show, but when it's not it kinda feels like it loses focus and goes into a weird mystical place which I was pretty ambivalent about.
    perhaps this is my Penchant For The Supernatural coming out. I absolutely adore when Twin Peaks goes insane with all the mysticism and the Black Lodge stuff towards the end, even though there's a huge dry patch in season 2 because of all the weird soapy stuff.

let me know what you think of both these shows if you get around to 'em though, Giggleswee!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Castle was such a good show until the last two seasons. Then it went all downhill.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I do like a good Crime/Mystery show.

I also watch Lie to Me! -high five-. I'm also a big fan of Psych and Bones. Another nice little show, which I kinda pair with Lie to Me in my mind is Numbers. Then there is also The Glades and Hawaii 5-0. The Glades and Psych are more funny shows, but still a good amount of other genres. Psych is so perfectly cast. It's true that Bones has somewhat dropped in quality, though I still enjoy watching it.

Years
  • Ugh, I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but Veronica Mars is, in addition to being one of the best television shows ever made, a really good mystery. It takes a lot of inspiration from old noir detective stories but sets it in mid-2000s high school. But don't let the high school element deter you! It's a really, really good show. Lots of great characters. Amazing dialogue, gripping season-long mysteries! Well, the third season had lots of executive meddling and is't as good, but the first two are golden. Even if you watch just the first season you'll not regret it.

Lize

Forever paired with [b]machomuu[/b]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 25, 2023
    I've watched a certain amount of Lie to Me on tv, as it used to be airing here, and when I still used to actually watch tv we usually ended up watching it whenever it's on. After all, Tim Roth is one hell of an actor.

Person of Interest is probably my favorite in this category, I'll probably be so devastated after the last 3 episodes. I don't know how I'll do without my Root and Sameen.. ;-;

I saw Prison Break was mentioned earlier, I suppose you could definitely put this in the Crime genre, although Mystery not so much. But, it's definitely very thrilling and also one of my favorite shows. Currently rewatching it to get ready for the new season that will come out next year!

One other Crime show that I've seen on TV together with my mother was Flashpoint, it was also definitely a very good Crime show. No mystery, but damn. That swat team. And their bond with each other, it's amazing.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to these types of shows, I am a fan of NCIS. Course I don't know if I will watch the next season of it, considering the events of the season finale of this past season. Course I have not watched every season of it. I think I started watching it either during seasons 8, 9, or 10.

Back