• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Myths... are they really real?

Years
  • hahahahahahahahahahaha... this guy reckons unicorns don't exist

Mythological animals such as the sea serpent, to my way of thinking, are exaggerations with basis on a certain real, probably dangerous or rare animal. Think about the Kraken; giant squids do exist, but they never were as massive.

And so you have to take into consideration that these myths originated a long time ago. For Pete's sake, the world was supposed to be flat even way after those creatures became legend.

But yeah, instead of just sea turtles, maybe, just maybe they'll be thinking about winged turtles in the future, and so Koopas will be born...

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Dinosaurs aren't mythical, animals from today won't be either.

Dinosaurs used to be mythical. In fact, some people believe dinosaurs are where dragon myths started. But long ago (not too long ago), we knew almost nothing about them and there were a ton of skeptics.

There's a difference between animals that died out long before humans existed and animals that died out while humans existed.

The Dodo is a good example. While not mythical, there are people who believe myths that there may be a surviving animal. Like Elvis.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Mythological animals are nothing but real life animals that had their reality stretched, bent, and altered to make some legendary being that are now part of myths.

Animals of our time aren't gonna be myths because we have documented evidence that they existed. :|
    And they found a preserved Dragon (that flys, and breathes flames) in Antartica.
    What are you smoking...

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    That whole dragon thing on discovery channel was fake, they were just discussing how dragons might have lived, evolved, and done the things mythology says they did. there was a dinosaur that was discovered that looked like a dragon, but that's it.

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2011
    By definition, a myth isn't real.

Please check your definitions. For ease, see the etymology I posted above. :)

inhisxeyes: They are just too alien to have been made from nothing.

I've seen a few people suggest the same sort of thing, but I'm not entirely certain that it's all that defensible a claim. Were I to invent a logical fallacy for it, I'd call it an argumentum ad mirabilem; essentially the argument is that "it's too unbelievable to be a coincidence, therefore it must be true."

I can't buy that. There are too many unnecessary assumptions for it to be a reasonable supposition.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • A myth's called a myth for a reason. Some people choose to believe what they hear is true, while others don't believe a single word of it. It's really up to you if it's real or not, because no one else can think for you. A myth or legend's a story that has been passed down from generation to generation, so we really don't have any idea if they're real or not. As for things like sea serpents and stuff, I personally choose to believe that. If there are photos showing logical proof, then I'll believe it. Same thing goes for the "Gods of Olympus". The paintings and images of them must have come from somewhere, so I personally believe it.

Believing a myth is like believing in a religion. Some people believe it, while others don't.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Please check your definitions. For ease, see the etymology I posted above. :)
    myth (plural myths)
    2. (the definition relevent to this thread) A person or thing existing only in imagination, or whose actual existence is not verifiable. This word originates from the Sanskrit word "Mithya"; with the same meaning.

Back