• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Myuu!!!

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2005
    Hmm... well, I'm not sure if any of you know this trick or not. It's a trick that can be done in R/B/Y, and it's a surefire way to get Mew. Unfortunately, you have to restart your game to do so since you've probably already botched it XP. Now, before you go dismissing this and saying "She's just trying to trick us", trust me when I say this is not a hoax. I found this on a website, and instantly dismissed it as a hoax, but decided to try it anyway. After all, I was going to restart my Yellow version anyway. So I tried it... and it worked. After my heart stopped pounding, I decided to tell all I could about it. So here goes:

1. DO NOT fight the Youngster with the Slowpoke on the way to Bill's House or the Gambler near the underground path west of Lavender.

2. Get Fly, and teach it to one of your party Pokemon.

3. Go through the passage from Celadon to Lavender. When you stand in front of the enterance, stop and save before doing anything else. That way, in case you mess up in catching Mew, you have another shot.

4. Walk one step forward, and press start immediately after you step down. If you do this right, the Start menu will pop up before the Gambler notices you.

5. Fly to Cerulean City.

6. If your Start button isn't working now, then you've done the trick right so far. Walk up Nugget bridge and find the Youngster you bypassed earlier. Go all the way up so he'll have to walk up to you after he notices you (not doing this will cause your game to crash). Fight the Youngster and defeat him.

7. Now, your Start button should be working. Fly to Lavender Town.

8. Go west to Route 8. The Start menu should pop up by itself.

9. Press B RIGHT AWAY!! Do NOT save or do ANYTHING else. Press B.

10. When the Start menu closes, you will instantly be attacked by a Level 7 Mew. It only knows Pound, and it's fairly weak, so be sure not to KO it. Capture it, this is your only chance!

Remember that if you fail to capture it, you can shut off your game, turn it back on, and you'll be back to where you last saved... BEFORE you lost Mew. Try again until you snag him! ^_^

Now, I know this works for Yellow, but I haven't tested it in Red or Blue. I'm currently testing Leaf Green to see if this trick works there too. If it does, you guys will be the first to know ^_^

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    I heard of this on many sites.I don't know if it works yet.I believe it a little.

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
    Years
    Yes everyone knows that trick.It is old as time itself.I know it works but i just havent tried it yet.The glitch probobly won't work on leaf green though.But you can try.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    It doesn't work in FRLG, if the developers didn't know about that little gem, then they seriously must get better game testers XD Anyways, this goes in Metal/Colour Games, so I'll move it for you ^_^

Moving on up...

Antoshi

Imagination Station
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2023
    Eh.

It definetely works in Red/Blue, that's where the code was originated from. However, I didn't hear about it until... sometime in August last year. I assume that's when the code went really popular.

Only backdraw to a glitch like this is that it cheapens Mew's value. It used to be you wanted a way to get Nintendo to come back and legally put a Mew into your game for you again, without trying to use a GameShark. Now you can snatch it like a wild Pokemon.

Anyway, I shouldn't be complaining, it's the developer's fault, as stated before! :P One question I do have is... How do these people figure these glitches out?! For one thing, who would one day say "Hey, today I'm going to go to Viridian City and talk to the unimportant old man, then fly to Cinnabar Island, surf on the east edge and see what happens!"

Who would also one day say "Hey, what would happen if I fought the unimportant Gambler outside of Celadon City, hit Start when he noticed me, fly, go fight another person, then fly to Lavender Town, go west and see what happens!" I just don't get their logic!

...Maybe they have nothing better to do? :confused:

Aiya Quackform

Her High Quackiness
    Years
    (1) ROMs. There are lots of people who study the game coding and can figure out glitches.

(2) However, it did take a remarkably long time for the Mew glitch to become very well known and accepted as a genuine glitch. It's my understanding that this glitch could not be discovered by studying ROMs. Another guess is that the first person to find this glitch did so in an amazing accident. In all likelyhood, someone probably noticed something odd with the coding but wasn't sure what it would do, and played around with it until they found the Mew Glitch. But no one really knows for sure.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    This glitch is a result of the pre-programmed Mew that's actually in the R/B/Y versions of Pokemon. The company just didn't put an event that would set the flag, allowing you to catch it. However, this glitch enables you to do so. The idea is to have Magikarp with you, so you can injure it a little before capturing it.

However, a Debug Room makes it easier; you can just set the flag and fight him at Lavendar Town. Only problem is you need a Gameshark for it and it has to be on the old gameboy or GBC systems.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2005
    also,glitches should not come down to you catching a pokegod.how did they get the piture in there?ethere this
    is not a glitch or mew really is in the game.

Antoshi

Imagination Station
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2023
    Err?

There's no such thing as "PokeGods." And yes, Mew is definetely in the R/B/Y games, the sprite for it was created by the programmers, as it is in every version of Pokemon.

Years
    does this actually work???
    i have a mew on my red version which i got from a friend who had a cheat cartridge thing, but im sure that there is no way to get mew unless you have a cheat thing or you go to a nintendo event.
    i dunno if i believe it, but there is no way i could be bothered to do that, especially not on my red version (151 seen 147 owned!!! i need 4 more goddammit!)

i've always wondered how people figure these things out... do they sit for hours and try every possible random combination of movements and actions???? obviously not, that would take forever

Last edited:

Antoshi

Imagination Station
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2023
    I asked that very same question, freakgirl, and this is the reply I got.

Aiya Quackform said:
    (1) ROMs. There are lots of people who study the game coding and can figure out glitches.

(2) However, it did take a remarkably long time for the Mew glitch to become very well known and accepted as a genuine glitch. It's my understanding that this glitch could not be discovered by studying ROMs. Another guess is that the first person to find this glitch did so in an amazing accident. In all likelyhood, someone probably noticed something odd with the coding but wasn't sure what it would do, and played around with it until they found the Mew Glitch. But no one really knows for sure.

:D

Years
    i see... i'd love to get mew but i couldn't be bothered to train it up (mines level 100 from a gameshark but i never use it as im so worried it'll screw my game up. im fine with me lv 84 blastoise!). also i really don't want to start again! maybe i should buy a new game cartridge, i bet they're really cheap these days

*edit*
    actually, im going to do it on my yellow version, if you can do it on yellow.

Last edited:

Triaspia

ooh shiney
    Years
    you can and it wont mess your game up i found the code in the internet tried it told my friends i could get mew for them (they like me avoid as many battles as possible) they passed me their gameboys and i did the cheat for them.

also if you catch mew then do the missigno cheat can you find l132 mews?

Antoshi

Imagination Station
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2023
    neomon said:
    you can and it wont mess your game up i found the code in the internet tried it told my friends i could get mew for them (they like me avoid as many battles as possible) they passed me their gameboys and i did the cheat for them.

also if you catch mew then do the missigno cheat can you find l132 mews?

You won't be able to. You can refer to this thread to see what Pokemon will appear for you: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120 . :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    I figured out the infinate item glitch one day when I talked to the guy then I wanted a high level tentacool so I went to cinnabar and all of the sudden I have a LOT of rare candies

Back