• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Names you'll be using in Pokemon Versions X & Y

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Well, let me explain, koff~

As the release of the games start edging closer, I up and forget what I was going to name my characters. So, I've had the idea that we could all pass out our ideas for names and see what everyone thinks. Please don't take other people's ideas (I'm sure we don't need to do that, but anyway. . .). Also, please state which version you will be getting and with which gender you'll be playing as. Here goes!

I will hopefully be picking up both Pokemon X Version and Pokemon Y Versioon, so I'm going to play as both to see what the differences are between the two genders regarding customization and story.

In Pokemon X Version, I will be playing as a boy.

Pokemon X Version name: Coffee
    Coffee. Yes, Coffee. I ran out of ideas with Generation V and was stuck with the name 'Black'. So I've thought about it and I'll hopefully carry this name with the rest of the Pokemon games. I chose the name Coffee because coffee is bold, strong, and has great taste, albeit a bit bitter at times. It's a tough and harsh sounding name, not only does it mean business, it stands for class. Keep reading, as my ideas get better.

In Pokemon Y Version, I will be playing as a girl.

Pokemon Y Version name: Cream
    Cream. As in Coffee and Cream. Personally, I don't use cream in my coffee, but that's neither here nor there. The reason why I've decided to name the female protagonist Cream, is because I'm likening the traits of cream itself to a person: Cream is sweet and pure, but can be overbearing at times; there are instances where she can be quite sour, but that doesn't mean she's not a wonderful companion to tag along with. She can be considered spoiled and often spoils her Pokemon as a result. She enjoys contests and tries to avoid using certain Pokemon types.

So what do you think? Did I pick winning names or what? I think I've got my stuff nailed down so I don't have to worry about forgetting what names I wanted to use. What about you? What will you name your Pokemon protagonists and why? I can't wait to see what you've got, koffi~

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    My name will be Will, as it always is, though I'm not sure what ill name my rival(s). I'm hopping they will allow us to name them all! Though that might take a while. I know I'm always sitting there for a good name that I don't a associate with someone I know in real like

Years
    My name will be my actual name as it usually is: 'Stefan'.

I shall admit though, I did make the mistake of constantly calling my Gen 1 character, 'Ash', because when I was 10/11, I didn't know the difference. :P

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
    Getting the x version first and I will be the girl(like always) and name her Alex and or I may just give her the default name(I just love the name serena lol). Ya know what yeah. Serena will be her name. and if I ever get pokemon y I will be the male and name him milton(it has been a good luck name since gen 3. fun fact. on pokemon emerald I "made up that name. got it form miltank. Sooner or later I realized it was an actuall name lol)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It would depend on which character I choose. xD If I end up selecting the female character, then I'd most likely name her after myself, which would be Ashley. If I ever give the game a second run, then I would simply just go with her default name. If I choose the male character, then I would give him the same name as my boyfriend, which is Christopher. Either that, or I'd name him Shawn, who's my pair here on PC. :) Other names that I could possibly give him are Kelvin (who's been my friend since third grade), Hunter, Derk (one of my best online friends), Roland, and Kristian.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'd be naming my character Nichole, as that's my real name and been a tradition since Pearl. Plus I'm using the female character as well due to said tradition. Although I might use a different name in the game that won't be my main version, and X is looking to be my main at this point although when the games are released and the full list of version exclusives is revealed that might change.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I usualy name the character's sort of off of the english translations of the manga, as being male i would be named blue, if female i would be named green. rival always named red, male or female. I doubt it will be any different for X and Y.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I was thinking of continuing the pattern I started in Gen 5...naming the player after a character in the stories I'm working on...this time being Xavier to match with X...but that's one of the players default names...so maybe not...or maybe yes xD. If not then I'll go with Yûgure ^_^...after all I am getting Y...plus there's the sun bird and wind theme...well flying...you know Yûgure sounds really possible right now :).

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    I'll name my character Nakama for a change and name my Pokémons after Shin Megami Tensei demons for a change instead of not naming any at all like usual.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Due to the heavy customization options, I feel like this gen is the most appropriate gen to use my real name, Dillon. I always do that though.

jlw1717

I'm Back!!
    Years
    Well I'll be getting both x & y, so in y, im naming my boy character after me which is Jarrrett & x, I'll play as a girl & name her Adriana lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I might go with 'Jean' since it sounds like 'gene.' I still expect genetics to play some sort of role even if the games are apparently named after the axes.

I might go with Descarte for Rene Descartes, the guy that proposed the Cartesian plane. If I ever play as the girl she could be Rene...

I was considering Cyrus, but that was already used for a big character.

Sirfetch’d

Choosing the X version and naming my character, Chase, like I always do because it is my name irl. If I were to get both versions from the start, I'd name the character on the second version after my best friend, Tom.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    I'd call my boy Hilbert, because that's who he looks like! :P Otherwise I'd name him Harris. I'm not sure what to call the girl... I wish I could call her 'Stephanie' but the character limit might prevent me from doing that. I think 'Steph' would do just fine.

And BTW I'm going for the X version.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I believe I will actually just be naming myself Serena since that is what your rival's name would be (if you picked to be a male) and I've loved that name for years now. And since it's one of her two official names (though Serena might be the more official one I don't know) it just feels like the most appropriate time to use the name. ♥

As for my Pokemon I have no idea. Probably just name them as I go since other than Froakie I'm having a terrible time deciding before the game what I want on my team.

Years
    Perhaps Xavier and Yvette, after playing a few times I might do themed characters based off clothes and pokemon types, but I will keep it nice and simple for the first couple of run through's.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Wow, koff~

More replies than I thought I'd see. I forgot about naming rivals. Shoot. If I had to, I'd name him Chugah, after Anton Chugah in No Country for Old Men "His name is Sugar?". So it'd be Coffee and Cream and Chugah. Plus it rounds out the count at three Cs. I think I'd also try my hand at nicknaming all of my Pokemon based on coffee related items and puns: Brewer, Philter, Grinder, Roasty, etc. It'll be a challenge but I'm up for it. I cannot wait for these games to come out, koffi~

Back