• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Naming your Pokemon

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I have a personal mission, trying to give a legitimately interesting nickname to each and every fully-evolved, non-legendary Pokémon, without resorting to cheap cop-outs like shortening their names. I'm also trying not to make jokes with these names, though a few I couldn't resist (like Pocaffé the Cinccino, which is taken from the Italian words "poco" and "caffé", roughly meaning "little coffee".)

I've been working on my list technically since March of last year (though for a good eight months or so I didn't work on it at all), and so far I have 65 names--and I am completely serious when I say that 52 of those were added to the list in the past three weeks (Pokémon Black gave me the inspiration I needed to get my rear in gear).

Most of them are taken straight from mythology, like Sobek the Feraligatr (who, along with Inari the Ninetales, is one of the ones who started this mess) and Hraesvelgr the Braviary. Some are taken from words run through an online translator (such as Lamasca the Masquerain, taken from "la mascarade", French for masquerade). A few are somewhat-fitting English words (like Sunder the Tyranitar or Scourge the Haxorus), though that's pretty much my last resort if I can't find something better. And last, but not least, a very few are combination-word puns sort of like actual Pokémon names (like Elekne the Galvantula, taken from "electric" and "Arachne"; or Artemistia the Simipour, taken from "mist" and "Artemia", the genus sea monkeys belong to).

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I named my Typhlosion "HURRY"... You probably don't want to know if you don't know this already

and don't PM me about it either... 3:<

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2011
    I have recently stopped nicknaming Pokemon, it just confuses me. None of my current Pokemon White pokemon have nicknames, but I sometimes call my Servine 'Serv'

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I usually don't. I never cared for nicknaming them, but I've been doing a lot of Nuzlockes lately, so now I have been nicknaming my Pokémon.

Years
    I don't often nickname my Pokemon but maybe when I get Black I'll think about it.

I might consider naming my Oshawott "Julian" after the one I have on Global PokedeX Plus. (That is if Osha is male).

If my Oshawott is a girl I might name her "Juliana"

I love Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle so if I get a female one I might name it "Ella" (the nickname of my GPX+ Gothita).

Years
    I've always liked to nickname my pokemon, usually after a quality they have(I.e Color Type ect) for example, Scizor is red, is a bug, and is somewhat warrior like. In Japanese, Red is Aka, Incests(the plural) is Konchuu and Warrior is Senshi and since Akakonchuusenshi doesn't fit into the caracter limit, I shorten it to "Akachuushi". Another way I nickmane is by animals they resemble, like I named my Donphan "Mastodon" or by characters from other games like I named my Mismagius "Vivi" after the Black Mage in FFIX or just something that makes sense like naming a Miltank "Dairy". Well that's how I nick name pokemon

Wya77

Average Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2011
    I nickname my Pokemon after figures in Greek Mythology. As shown in my signature. I love all of the names and I name my Pokes after the god(dess) that they would represent. [Ex. Ares the Machoke/ Demeter (goddess of agriculture) the Breloom]

Alinthea

I have nothing to say
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2015
    I don't normally name my Pokemon. I did when I was a lot younger and they would have the most ridiculous names ever, but I don't now-a-days; something about keeping them the same I prefer.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    When I nickname, I usually pick two letters to start, then pick another that sounds good with the first two, then another that fits with the first three, and so on, until the name has a nice flow. Sometimes it takes a while, but I ended up with some nice nicknames. On Pearl, I have Rukkamed the Machamp, Ulaoli the Seaking, and Forrol the Crobat.

Since I got black though, I've taken to not naming one of a kind Pokemon, like starters or Legendaries.

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
    Years
    I have dozens of pokes with different nicknames, but a few stand out in my mind.

Shiny Metagross:SP-376 3.0
    A shiny Metagross is chrome, and that color is normally associated with the future, and the name sounds futuristic. As to where I got the name's characters:Metagross is a Steel and Psychic type, and it's Pokedex number is 376.

Shedinja and Ninjask:Yin and Yang respectively, because they're two halves of the same Pokemon.

Aerodactyl:Predator. Self-explanatory.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I'm actually going to do the dishonorable thing and bump this.
    I caught a Wynaut yesterday and I forgot to nickname it.

Years
    I really only think to name my Pokemon when a name pops into my head right away. My Koffing, for example, is nicknamed Coughdrops, and my Lapras is nicknamed Nessy. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I name Pokemon after whatever comes to mind. So some get cool names, some get song titles, some are named after friends, but most get random ass names like Cigar, Bathroom, Stumble, Chairman, Righard, and BlackJesus.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I rarely nickname my pokemon... but recently I've started to seldom nickname my pokemon. Below is list of pokemon I've nicknamed in the past...

Mewtwo - Precious
    Typhlosion - Hurry
    Roserade - FrenchKiss
    Dragonite - Boss
    Blissey - PKMNhealer
    Gengar - dat gas
    Porygon-Z - Missingno.
    Smeargle (Shiny) - MagicMan
    Ferrothorn (Shiny) - GottaHurt
    Serperior - Smugleaf

Minezumi

ミネズミ