• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NASA Isolation Experiment

Years
  • The only concern is the possibility of something going wrong with the mission itself, which would be incredibly bad. However, these things are well thought out and planned for many, many years so I'm sure it'll go great. The experiment itself is pretty interesting too.
    Tragedies aren't unknown to NASA, unfortunately. I think that whatever comes it's worth the risk though. Imagine all the discoveries and new technologies we might have if we funded a huge Mars mission, or several missions. Imagine having permanent people living on Mars able to grow their own food and being self-sufficient.

Regarding the experiment, isolation isn't great for people's health, but I think that with all the training and screening they would do for a real mission to Mars the mission itself won't be in jeopardy because of unhinged people, but that the first people there will simply be really uncomfortable and irritable, assuming that technologically speaking everything else went okay.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    These experiments have been done before and I absolutely love them. The most infamous is Biosphere 2. Long story short weird things happen to people. That being said, this kind of research is vital and it's what separates NASA (successful) from Mars One (currently a well intentioned mass murder in the making).

BlueDogXL

The bluest dog out there!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    I was skeptical about Mars One from the same day I heard about is.
    How are supposed to live with ONE other person for 2 years?

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
  • I'm very excited about this mission... I kinda wish I could have gone too. XD

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I was skeptical about Mars One from the same day I heard about is.
    How are supposed to live with ONE other person for 2 years?
    well, if their of different genders there might be 3-13 on the return trip

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Given the history of manned moon landings, I hope everything goes well technologically. I'd like to think that NASA is advanced enough to keep enough options for the astronauts if anything goes awry on the way there / after actually landing there.

But man, there's really a lot of stuff to be learned once they actually get there. Who knows, maybe signs of alien life will appear too?
    maybe we'll get to see the doctor too idk

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Given the history of manned moon landings, I hope everything goes well technologically. I'd like to think that NASA is advanced enough to keep enough options for the astronauts if anything goes awry on the way there / after actually landing there.

But man, there's really a lot of stuff to be learned once they actually get there. Who knows, maybe signs of alien life will appear too?
    maybe we'll get to see the doctor too idk
    there have already been a few hints of alien life once existing on mars.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    So are we unless some crazy new technology comes out before that happens. I mean, I guess it's possible.

lemme rephrase lol: they will be unable to complete their mission with current levels of technology. Even if they make it to the site location, Mars One just doesn't have the tech or the plan to have them succeed. They'd die in a pretty shitty way and I'd argue it's immoral to allow them to actually carry out a mission like that. I know they're still neck deep in R&D but the concern is valid.

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    lemme rephrase lol: they will be unable to complete their mission with current levels of technology. Even if they make it to the site location, Mars One just doesn't have the tech or the plan to have them succeed. They'd die in a pretty mukty way and I'd argue it's immoral to allow them to actually carry out a mission like that. I know they're still neck deep in R&D but the concern is valid.
    the morality of it is debatable, but the most important factor here is that the astronauts themselves are choosing to go along with it knowing full well of the risks involved.
    those who truly follows their dreams, care not the cost.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    the morality of it is debatable, but the most important factor here is that the astronauts themselves are choosing to go along with it knowing full well of the risks involved.
    those who truly follows their dreams, care not the cost.

But the problem here is that Mars One itself isn't aware of the full risks involved. It took an outside agency to point out flaws in their plans, to which they responded: "nuh uh." That's a problem that will only get worse over time. If they're incapable of conducting a full risk analysis on what can go wrong, then there's no way the volunteers can ever have that full knowledge either. NASA and ESA can assist, and I believe that NASA is certainly interested in assisting, they can't know more about the Mars One plan than Mars One does. It's one thing if you decide to fly with my airline knowing full well it's a one way trip to Asia with a 45% chance of arrival. I told you where we were going, that I had a significant chance of failure to arrive, and that I was only going one way. But it's a completely different story if I tell you about the above but withhold (or don't know myself) that our arrival destination is in the Gobi desert and all I have for supplies is a Capri Sun and half a Big Mac.

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    But the problem here is that Mars One itself isn't aware of the full risks involved. It took an outside agency to point out flaws in their plans, to which they responded: "nuh uh." That's a problem that will only get worse over time. If they're incapable of conducting a full risk analysis on what can go wrong, then there's no way the volunteers can ever have that full knowledge either. NASA and ESA can assist, and I believe that NASA is certainly interested in assisting, they can't know more about the Mars One plan than Mars One does. It's one thing if you decide to fly with my airline knowing full well it's a one way trip to Asia with a 45% chance of arrival. I told you where we were going, that I had a significant chance of failure to arrive, and that I was only going one way. But it's a completely different story if I tell you about the above but withhold (or don't know myself) that our arrival destination is in the Gobi desert and all I have for supplies is a Capri Sun and half a Big Mac.
    my question here is, what makes anyone think that the first missions gonna be a success? the first attempts to get to the moon ended in death, this time its a mission to different planet. the distance between mars & earth is ever-changing and if something can go wrong, odds are it will. the first attempts will end in failure no matter how well planned they are. if the astronauts are not aware that their more then likely not gonna come back alive, if at all, only then will they not be aware of the risks.

Back